Deleting from HDD v Solid State - same?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Is it really true on phones etc that deleting only re-allocates that space, like conputer HDD's. I understand hard disks have space physically written on or over with a laser.
This has been mentioned a few times in forums.
--------------

Which brings me to my real curiosity:

I understood basically how computer hdd's and rw cd's worked.
I can't figure though how my 2 year old Panasonic twin digital tuner (Freeview / free to air) with a 320 gb hard drive does it's magic tricks.
Most people will have had similar.

It never asks to be defragmented or formatted (though it can be formatted).
It can record 2 channels simultaneously and either buffer/90 minute rewind a live channel, or play back something while still recording 2, I think!
If I delete certain recordings made at different times so presumably physically on different parts of the discs (roughly 80 hour HD/SD capacity) but I still have still only say 5 hours left, will it split a new recording between different areas of the discs - and wouldn't it need 3 lasers to record 2 and playback one.

Anyone? Before the cat gets killed.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I guess I must have overlooked the obvious and it possibly turned out to be a stupid question. Something for another forum site if I knew one.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

valnation

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Yes it will split the recording to different parts of the disc. I'm not good at explaining things but ill give it a go..
Lets pretend this sequence of bits are a full disc: [11111111]
Now when we delete 3 random bits it will look like this: [10101110]
Now if we need to store 2 bits it would look like this: [11111110]

So just take that analogy and just make each bit represent 10 hours of space on the disc and hopefully you can understand where the data goes.

As for the other question, it is able to cope with only one laser for writing. The laser will write a portion of show 1 and buffer a portion of show 2. Then it would write a portion of show 2 while buffering show 1. And so on..

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes it will split the recording to different parts of the disc. I'm not good at explaining things but ill give it a go..
Lets pretend this sequence of bits are a full disc: [11111111]
Now when we delete 3 random bits it will look like this: [10101110]
Now if we need to store 2 bits it would look like this: [11111110]

So just take that analogy and just make each bit represent 10 hours of space on the disc and hopefully you can understand where the data goes.

As for the other question, it is able to cope with only one laser for writing. The laser will write a portion of show 1 and buffer a portion of show 2. Then it would write a portion of show 2 while buffering show 1. And so on..
Brilliant!

I will have to read this again later and get back to you.

I should have written my question better. People got bored after the 1st paragraph. I did a mild tidy up.

Thanks for answering, and Welcome to Android Central from me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2