Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

steveh552

Trusted Member
Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
1. Sprint Evo From Best Buy

2. They didn't say anything about it to me and didn't install any apps on my phone.

I'm actually suprised how many sales people would install any kind of apps on their customers phones at all especially the ones who don't say anything about it to the customers. I guess they all just think that they are helping but that just seems a little creepy to me.

When I bought my hero at best buy they insisted on atk and spare parts when I trying to return it over bat life. One of those programs improved the bat life and I used it until I upgraded to the evo. I still use atk on my evo, not tried spare parts on it.

Sent from my EVO via Tapatalk pro.

slantypanties

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Moto Droid on VZW
No Task Mgr for me but my fiance who had her Droid before me let the rep put Adv Task Mgr and Uninstaller Apps on her phone b/c he said they were basically a necessity, which at the time may have been b/c her phone was running on 1.5 or 1.6 which didn't have the app mgr feature built in. I later uninstalled both apps due to shortened battery life and the fact that they were both redundant and therefore wasting space.
Have a friend who just bought Sanyo ZO from Cricket and his rep put a task mgr on his phone and told him he NEEDED it. I promptly uninstalled and explained to him how to use the built in task manager/uninstaller. He has since thanked me for his "extended" battery life I provided/restored for him.
In short, most reps are uninformed and ALL task managers are redundant and battery assassins. Don't waste your time, space, and battery downloading them, you will regret it.

Mr. Boom

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
Incredible Verizon store. Rep did not offer. I would have refused

However, while there getting my wife's phone replaced, someone else got a new Droid 2, i overheard the rep say "I went ahead and put ATK on there for you, because without it your phone will be all screwed up and your battery won't last three hours" . I told my wife that the rep just gave him bad info, but she told me to not get involved, so i just watched the show
Well, she put it on for him, and immediately his phone became a slow, useless, POS. He was pissed! She couldn't figure it out. She said she didn't understand, because her manager said all Droids need ATK to work as they should. She went to the back to talk to her manager, and the customer removed ATK and rebooted the phone and it was fine. This was when a 60 something lady that was also in the store proceeded to explain to the customer that ATK and 2.2 don't mix. She told the guy to go online to any of the android forums and read. When the rep came back out, this same lady told the rep to quit effing up peoples phones, and suggested the rep also go read the forums so she knows what she is talking about.

That lady is my new hero!

tutor

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Droid2
Bought the phone and had it rooted
Went to a different store for a case and they installed ATK as a necessity
Went back to the original store the next day for a question and they immediately removed it

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
evo shift - best buy.

Lasy said to get ATK as soon as possible. I am new to android so i was like "umm, ok... my pre didnt need that, haha"

Tomeygun

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
evo shift - best buy.

Lasy said to get ATK as soon as possible. I am new to android so i was like "umm, ok... my pre didnt need that, haha"

So my g/f bought an EVO last night, the guy installed it and didnt even ask us to do so.

I got home and he had it on "autokill" for every hour.

MacGuyInNC

Feb 3, 2010
Visit site
I do tech support at work. One of my users showed up with a new Droid X today, and what do I see? Advanced Task Killer Froyo. :rolleyes:

I asked her if she put it on her phone, or if the store did it for her. Salesman did it.

Promptly uninstalled.

digitallove

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
when my mom got her optimus, they installed ringdroid for her (which was pointless; she uses her ipod for audiobooks and has always had an actual phone ringing noise as a ringtone on her phones), but they actually strongly advised her against downloading an appkiller. this was sprint.

when I got my phone (at the same sprint store), they just activated the phone and gave it to me and that was that.

MaXXimus

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Best Buy, Sprint, LG Optimus S. The rep didn't suggest a task killer, but I specifically told him not to install anything after activating. Since this is my first android device, I had friends and family tell me that task killers were essential. I had one installed for a day and then did some research and promptly uninstalled.

laney12186

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine at uscellular (I know not one if the four major ones on the first post) and they installed one on there before I left. I installed it the next day.

beandon

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
T-Mob

The rep advised me that I should definitely get one with my Vibrant purchase, after discussing the OS with him and realizing he did not know what he was talking about and/or anything about the OS and how it worked, I just opted not to.
Best choice ever, only had problems with previous devices and task killers.

lirwin

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Best Buy - Samsung Epic 4G. The sales rep installed ATK and Paper Toss on my husband's phone. I warned him they would suggest he install ATK but didn't know they'd actually have the nerve to install it on his phone...along with a game! After he read the message boards, he promptly uninstalled.

BiffTirkle

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
HTC EVO 4g shift, bestbuy online. Picked it up at the store and wouldn't let them open the box.

I had to go to the Sprint store to activate, a rep there installed task killer and told me a bit about it. I didn't mind.

crump84

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint EVO Shift via best buy - no task killer, never gave them a chance. Once it was activated I did a snatch and grab and was out the door.