Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
How many times do you here "these were a necessity on Windows phones" These are NOT windows phones! Stupid store reps know nothing about the phones they sell. A few are knowledgeable, most are not. No one should ever put anything on your phone without your permission.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
1. Purchased my Droid X at the local Verizon store on 7/15/10.
2. They didn't install a task killer but all of the sales reps I talked to recommended I install one.

When I asked them about this on another visit to the store, and told them that even the Android developers recommend against using a task killer, they didn't know what to say.

One of the reps looked at my phone, because I was having issues with short battery life, and he said "Wow! How did you get your phone to look like that?" I was using Launcher Pro so I told him. He hadn't heard of Launcher Pro so I showed him how to get it from the Marketplace.

Love the story. Love Launcher Pro.

zosopage1963

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
There are plenty of threads discussing the pros & cons of Task Killers. This is not one of them. I have 2 simple questions I'd like you to answer.

1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

Please post the answer to both questions here, and check the applicable checkboxes in the poll.

Bought 3 EVO's from Sprint (different stores at different times) and all 3 reps installed Advanced task Manager on the phones as part of their "service"

Tifoso

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Took my X to a Verizon store to see if they could troubleshoot all of the issues that I've had since updating to froyo. The store manager took my phone and downloaded a task killer app from the market. She said that should fix it. Took my phone back from her, told her I was uninstalling it and then called her an idiot and walked out.

ChaosShadow

Nov 23, 2009
Visit site
Didn't happen when I got my EVO, but when I got the Hero, the Sprint sales rep kept going on and on about getting task killers. I just ignored the fool :p

mstroud

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
1) Verizon factory store, Droid X

2) Store employee installed the task manager before ever handing me the phone.

I have since updated to 2.2 (Froyo) and have uninstalled the task manager. Phone still runs a bit slowly and less stable than under 2.1 now. I seem to have random force-closes that I didn't see before. I really can't blame any of this on the lack of a task manager, however.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
None installed on my EVO by default.
I get there are pluses and minuses to task killers, but if used intelligently, they don't cause grief. I use mine to manually kill pointless pre-installed memory hogs on my EVO like Footprints. Never had any issues doing that. And, contrary to reports, that pos app doesn't get killed and clean up on its own. Each to their own I guess.

F34R

F34RTEHDR01D
Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
bought a fascinate in store, didn't tell me to install it, nor was it installed, or even mentioned.

The setup process was introduced to me, he asked if I wanted help doing voicemail, or if I was already familiar with the android platform. He told me if I had any issues, questions, etc., to give him a call or text on his cell.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Nope. I put the stock "running services" short cut on one of the homepages of my Fascinate and just go there if I need to close out any apps running in the background. Nobody at the store ever mentioned installing a task manager, but I have read a number of posts on a number of forums over the past year of people telling others to install them. They're just not necessary and I think it boils down to a bunch of noobs spreading mis-information that's all.

s_franchise

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
1. droid incredible, it was a Verizon local store

2. They installed it as soon as they started the phone, which i dont understand why they take liberties of installing things when that should primarily be up to you, without even asking you none the less. i uninstalled it immediately. also i asked should i do a hard reset and they said no. found that interesting

SouthernBelle

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
Happened to me at Sprint and Verizon.

ATK for both. I deleted both. Made no difference in how my Moment ran - it was rotten either way. My DroidX works much better without it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hvltech