DJ05 GPS Fix for DI01 Users

Kevin Gossett

Retired Moderator
Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Found this over at the XDA forums before and didn't think anything of it, and then this morning I decided I wanted to give a try to see if it actually works.

Well, it does!

1. Download the GPS.zip from the first post, and then move it to the root of your SD card.
2. Boot into CWM and choose "install zip from sdcard"
3. Select "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll down to select the zip, install
4. Reboot
5. Using Root Explorer (or whatever you prefer) navigate to .apk on your SD card (should be /sdcard/gps.zip/system/app/gpssetup.apk) and move the .apk to your /system/app folder to overwrite the older version
6. Boot back into CWM to fix permissions (advanced/fix permissions) and once that finishes, reboot and try out your new GPS!

Reading over the thread, results seemed mixed, but the majority of people who tried it out had great results. As it is right now I am getting an instant lock on 9 of 11 sats, but I'm going to turn off GPS and try again in the morning to confirm on a cold start.

Hope this helps others like it did me!
(Thanks to adrynalyne and all others who made this and other developments possible!)

Dr. K_Xen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I did this about a week or so ago, unfortunately I was one of the ones that it improved the lock time but still wasn't instant like some were getting.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I'll take it! I've been trying all day to get DJ05 OTA and now I could care less. Time to first fix: on cold start, with wifi off, after a reboot, inside, while it's raining, 14.491 seconds! With wifi on, 4.462 seconds! Finally, no more 5-10 minute wait, especially when trying to show off how "great" your phone is to somebody.

thachizzle

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Always just flashed it with CWM, but going to try and moving the APK into the system/apps folder and see if that makes a difference.

If you guys are looking for an alternative to Root Explorer - get ES File explorer and give it root permission. Doesn't matter which ROM/MOD you choose from the list, just pick one and give it Super User permission and make sure you show hidden files and it should work as a Root Explorer ... for free! :D

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I thought the step of actually copying the file over seemed redundant after installing it via CWM but it is necessary.

jackmei2

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I've seen this on the xda forums but have been afraid to try it, since my gps already seems to be pretty decent, at least in google maps. but I think I'll give it a shot!

if something should go wrong, a backup via cwm should put the DI01 radio back right?

Sublym1

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! After finishing this, I got a lock in less than 30 seconds with WiFi off. :D
I'll try it again when I'm out and about to see how it does.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I just did a quick outdoor test, and the AGPS position was very very fast but the GPS lock still only came after I fired up GPS-test... I will have to play with it some more to see if there is genuine improvement.

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone else notice a lot of apps hanging around in the process list after installing this? I don't know if it was just due to the reboots or what, but I have "set-up wizard", "google partner setup", "factory test", "com.samsung.brightness" and a bunch of other stuff in my running tasks list that I swear didn't hang around after previous reboots... Oh, and my battery has been dropping REAL fast...

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Nothing out of the ordinary on mine. Same running apps as always and no noticeable effect on battery life in the past 12 hours.

Sta11i0n

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Do you have a CWM recovery point from before you did this change? I'd try flashing back to that and reinstalling it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick