Does Verizon care if you buy phones at $300/$400 off and pay off device payment plan to frequently?

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Doing this in-store is the best bang for your buck because both the $300 and $100 savings can be applied to the purchase price of the phone. If you do it online, you only get the $100 savings applied immediately and have to wait for the $300 gift card. I strongly recommend doing this plan in-store because you can cancel the new line the next day. If you do it online, I would keep the line active (I'm not if suspending it would work) until you receive the $300 from Verizon.

As for the plan, you need to open a new line in order to do this as it does not apply to upgrades.

This still leaves the $200 LG rebate if the LG G4 is purchased. Others mentioned that the line should be left open until that is received. Does anyone here have experience with that?

I'm planning to go to a Verizon store after work and give this a whirl. I have 2 old phones that both qualify for the $300 rebate according the Verizon's website. I might get two G4's if they'll let me. If I purchase more than one G4, can I get the $200 rebate twice?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
This still leaves the $200 LG rebate if the LG G4 is purchased. Others mentioned that the line should be left open until that is received. Does anyone here have experience with that?

I'm planning to go to a Verizon store after work and give this a whirl. I have 2 old phones that both qualify for the $300 rebate according the Verizon's website. I might get two G4's if they'll let me. If I purchase more than one G4, can I get the $200 rebate twice?

It seems kind of vague to me... I'll let you interpret the rules yourself. :)

From the terms and conditions: "this promotional offer is limited to one LG Visa Prepaid Card by mail-in rebate per person per household on each qualifying new LG G4 models purchased between October 30, 2015 and November 15, 2015"

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

You can suspend the line which avoids having to pay for service. As for multiple phones,the slickdeals (Verizon LG G4 ~$20 MM + Owned outright - Slickdeals.net) thread seems to think it can be done.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

When I read through the info, it only said you had to purchase it through Verizon or authorized retailers. I didn't see anything about requiring activation of a line or upgrade. Since it's an LG promo, not Verizon directly, they wouldn't be privy to that account info. I'm planning to cancel the line as soon as I've used the $300 credit.

Just want to add that once the online trade-in estimator shows $300, print that page out and bring it to the Verizon store. :) Better yet, go to the last page just before submit order and print it. That will show $300 trade-in with the phone's IMEI on it, as well as the $100-off. Saves a lot of trouble at the store. Some Verizon corporate store will act stupid(as if that's hard to do) and say "sorry, this phone doesn't qualify" or some BS like that. With a printed page in hand, they will usually shut up and take it. :)

There's no way that Verizon can make use of the $10 prepaid smartphone or any other old phone with no value.. they should just skip this step and hand over the $300. :D Although I guess Verizon can at least make sure that the phone gets recycled properly. (probably sent by the thousands to China or India where environment standards are non-existent and recycling places pollute the local waters :mad: )

I'm still working through their telesales department on this. I was caught between a rock and hard place that pushed me to go that route. It's taken more work, but looks doable if for some reason you can't get to a store and the online ordering doesn't work. I've got the phone and activated it on a current line, leaving the new line I placed the order with dormant and destroying the pre-installed SIM. I had to call today asking about an issue with the claim, but the two operators I spoke with both didn't say anything about me moving the new phone to a current line instead of activating on the new one.

As for recycling the junk phone's, they probably send them back to the manufactures to repackage and sell again at next to no cost to them. How else do you think they can sell those phones for next to nothing? It's probably been paid for 10x over with these promos. :sly::sly:

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You can suspend the line which avoids having to pay for service. As for multiple phones,the slickdeals (Verizon LG G4 ~$20 MM + Owned outright - Slickdeals.net) thread seems to think it can be done.

while the line is suspended, no payment is necessary, except for the Device Payment Plan, which will continued to be billed.

the downside is that if the account has no more open available lines, the account holder can't buy another phone with Device Payment Plan or contract pricing(for those on older plans)

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

I read through the fine print, and I found what badkitties posted:

"this promotional offer is limited to one LG Visa Prepaid Card by mail-in rebate per person per household on each qualifying new LG G4 models purchased between October 30, 2015 and November 15, 2015"

To me that says that I should be able to get more than one.

I was just to the Verizon store, and it turned out that the rep couldn't use the LGG4SAVE promo code. I told him to forget it; I'll do it online. One thing we struggled with was how to set up the new line. I told him I'd rather leave my current line alone, since it's a single line with unlimited data. (My wife is on another carrier.) He tried to set up a completely new account, but he said that when he entered my SS# it took him to my current account, and he couldn't create a new one. He talked to a colleague about it, and they decided that he should just set up a sub account.

Is there a better way to set this up? Maybe since I'm going to be doing it myself online I can put it under my wife's name and SS# or something.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site

I was just to the Verizon store, and it turned out that the rep couldn't use the LGG4SAVE promo code. I told him to forget it; I'll do it online. One thing we struggled with was how to set up the new line. I told him I'd rather leave my current line alone, since it's a single line with unlimited data. (My wife is on another carrier.) He tried to set up a completely new account, but he said that when he entered my SS# it took him to my current account, and he couldn't create a new one. He talked to a colleague about it, and they decided that he should just set up a sub account.

Is there a better way to set this up? Maybe since I'm going to be doing it myself online I can put it under my wife's name and SS# or something.

It's safe to you use your single plan if you want; however, you can definitely open up a new account under your wife's name online.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site

It does sound like more than one to me as well. However, LG and Samsung
are kind of quirky when it comes to their rebates. To be safe, submit one
under your own name and address. Then submit another using your wife's
name with a different address. (work, in-laws, friend, etc)

BTW, from what others have told me, the LG G4 rebate visa cards usually
took anywhere from 7 weeks to 10 weeks to arrive.

balag59

Nov 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot!Highly helpful!Do i need a SSN for any of this btw?Asking coz im an international student studying here right now

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've always understood "one per person per household" to mean one and no more. I just looked around online and that seems to be the general consensus too. May be better understood if broken down as one claim per person AND one person per household.

I'd also be leary of filing a claim for another address because they want to see a copy of the receipt, which would show the account address (at least mine did).

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I've always understood "one per person per household" to mean one and no more. I just looked around online and that seems to be the general consensus too. May be better understood if broken down as one claim per person AND one person per household.

I'd also be leary of filing a claim for another address because they want to see a copy of the receipt, which would show the account address (at least mine did).

There's a phone number and email on the LG rebate form...
perhaps call them and ask what they think? :)

Here:
"Question or concerns about your request submission?
Call us at 1-877-333-9203 lgelectronics@acbcoop.com "

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm only intending one one rebate, so not my direct concern. :p

Now if I convince my wife to get one instead of a note 5, then I'll question them if the one per household still applies, since it's technically two different promotions/websites.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
will the Verizone phone work on AT&T

It depends on which city you live in. I've been using my Verizon Galaxy Note 5 with AT&T SIM card for almost a month. It can pick up AT&T 4G LTE just fine. In the downtown area, I can usually get 21mbps download and 3mbps upload. In my home, this drops down to 5mbps download and 2mbps upload.(not surprised because of all the trees around here)

However, if AT&T uses a different 4G LTE band in your city, then you'll get HSPA+ 3G, which is still not bad.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm only intending one one rebate, so not my direct concern. :p

Now if I convince my wife to get one instead of a note 5, then I'll question them if the one per household still applies, since it's technically two different promotions/websites.

I remember you mentioning something about Verizon emailing you a
questionnaire for the $300 trade-in? What happened with that?
Just curious. :)

They received my trade-in two days ago.(the cheap $7 LG Optimus Exceed 2)
The $300 account credit was just posted to my Verizon account this morning.
It took care of the $189 unpaid balance, so my account now has a $111 credit
balance which will go towards my next bill. :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I remember you mentioning something about Verizon emailing you a
questionnaire for the $300 trade-in? What happened with that?
Just curious. :)

I called them yesterday because I hadn't received it. The operator is trying to get it resent and then going to follow up with me on Monday. If it still doesn't come in, I'm going to go to the store asap (I'm often working until after they close) and see if they'll take the trade and apply the credit directly.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I called them yesterday because I hadn't received it. The operator is trying to get it resent and then going to follow up with me on Monday. If it still doesn't come in, I'm going to go to the store asap (I'm often working until after they close) and see if they'll take the trade and apply the credit directly.

I was only worried for you because I've never heard of a trade-in questionnaire. I've traded at least 22 phone to Verizon over the last 11 years.

Good luck! :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ron1morgan