Droid Turbo: Battery Life

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Gotta be an app or game you downloaded. Have you tried the GSam battery monitor? It has a feature called AppSucker that shows which apps are misbehaving.

Sent Turbo-fast from my bulletproof 64GB Droid Turbo

Just installed it one minute ago.

Posted via the Android Central App

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Good point about cell standby. Why is it so high? Mine is high even when I am on wifi.

The way I see it, the Cell Standby being unusually high isn't unordinary in how the Turbo functions. It is, however, in how it shows up as being so high, or that may be normal too. For example, what the Turbo is showing as a high Cell Standby, my Maxx would have shown the same drain, but coupled with either Android System, Android OS, or Phone Idle. There is uniformity in how Android reports battery stats. Maybe someday there will, but currently, every phone has a unique way of reporting system processes.

S4Rs

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
First things I did is go to Settings, more, change mobile networks to LTE/CDMA rather than Global. Put location setting on battery saving. Screen on auto brightness and make sure social and email apps aren't syncing more than 1x per hour under Accounts settings. Also, for WiFi advanced settings, I change always on to only when plugged in and then uncheck the box for always scanning even when WiFi is turned off. That should help.

PS. Since you are in a bunker, you could either turn off mobile data to get a better CDMA only signal or just go to airplane mode and use Wi-Fi at work (no phone or data). There are apps like Tasker that can automate this kind of stuff too. Best of luck!

Sent Turbo fast from my 64GB Droid Turbo

You do not want WIFI to be only when plugged in. If you set that you will disconnect from wifi at home when the screen is off, and your phone will start doing things off the carrier network. This is not even close to as efficient as a strong wifi signal at home. Plus the WIFI in qualcomm chips is top notch. I never turn off wifi or bluetooth or nfc. They manage themselves. Just look in the battery stats at the end of the day. Worth the hit IMO.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
You do not want WIFI to be only when plugged in. If you set that you will disconnect from wifi at home when the screen is off, and your phone will start doing things off the carrier network. This is not even close to as efficient as a strong wifi signal at home. Plus the WIFI in qualcomm chips is top notch. I never turn off wifi or bluetooth or nfc. They manage themselves. Just look in the battery stats at the end of the day. Worth the hit IMO.

I concur. However, I also believe that switching from global to LTE/CDMA helped my signal strength and battery. Could be placebo effect, but it doesn't negatively affect me.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

It only turns off Wifi if unplugged AND deep sleep. Never had problems with this setting eating 4G data and I've used it for 2+years

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
this is how bad it is....its plugged in now, and im posting from the chromebook. this sucks.... less than 2 hours screen on time and it was at 18%. gsam hadnt had but and hour of monitoring and the app sucker still listed the os as the biggest draining (7%). im really hoping this battery isnt bad. this is the ballistic 64gb. my wife has the 32 black fiber, and it was at 58% and almost 10 hours of unplugged and 2 hrs on screen time.

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
this is how bad it is....its plugged in now, and im posting from the chromebook. this sucks.... less than 2 hours screen on time and it was at 18%. gsam hadnt had but and hour of monitoring and the app sucker still listed the os as the biggest draining (7%). im really hoping this battery isnt bad. this is the ballistic 64gb. my wife has the 32 black fiber, and it was at 58% and almost 10 hours of unplugged and 2 hrs on screen time.

Somebody on a different thread said there's had a bad battery so they gave it a spanking and then exchanged it for a new Turbo at the store. Maybe same for yours?

"Spare the charge, spoil the Turbo."

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I saw a commercial stating 8 hours on a 15 min charge? I take it that is with a bunch of power saving things on?

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I saw a commercial stating 8 hours on a 15 min charge? I take it that is with a bunch of power saving things on?

Let's just say very little screen use and no intensive data, apps, or syncing and then yes it's possible.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
All I want to be able to do is unplug it in the morning and plug it in at bed time.... If it can last that long. I'm happy

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
All kidding aside, a 5 hour screen on time is excellent! When I first got my Maxx I would push 7 hour screen times, however, once the KK updates hit, my time was reduced to 4-5 hours. Updates do this to your phone. My brother had the same thing happen to him with his G2.

Also, beware, there are apps that don't show up in either GSam or stock Battery watcher. In addition, every device reports usage differently. For example, cell standby may be coupled with Android System or Android OS on other devices, (Not the turbo obv because cell standby is unusually high) Also, Facebook and Facebook Messenger do not show up on stats when it fetches data or syncs in the background. Only actual usage time of the app will display as a loss. Sometimes it is hard to find apps and processes that drain battery. GSam is excellent for finding those rogue apps that go haywire and wreck battery, but sometimes you need to investigate a bit more into it. Social media apps use a lot of battery life, Facebook much more than Instagram, which surprisingly doesn't use much. I merely scratched the surface on how battery life may be affected by certain apps.

I bought the Droid Turbo so that I don't have to Sherlock Holmes check my entire phone's system and kernel processes because I know that I have enough battery to run what I like. On my Galaxy Nexus, my battery was so bad that I had all of the location settings off, most of the syncs off, including what I consider necessary Google account sync settings, screen brightness set to 0 at all times, and a ton of other things that I would have liked to have on. It was ridiculous... I told myself that I never want to be in that position again. The Maxx relieved me of my anxiety, and the Turbo continues to do so. The Turbo has the best battery life on the market, although WE don't get the claimed "Two days of use" there are people out there who do. Like one member said in another post: "If we are posting on these forums, we are most likely heavy (heavier) users" so we do not fall into that category. For what the Turbo has, I am very impressed with the battery life, as I was concerned because of the qHD display.

I totally agree, and that micromanaging anxiety was totally alleviated with the Maxx, but I'm not quite there with the Turbo. I agree, before the updates to my Maxx, I could push 7 hours and that was a long time ago. 4-5 hours screen time is serviceable to me but this phone seems to lose battery when idle faster, so that I can't spread my usage out over 2 days like I could with my Maxx.

beeare

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I think a lot of people are confusing the Maxx's battery life with the Turbo's battery life because of the battery readings. My Maxx would hold what appeared to be a 100% charge for a long time, but would then seemingly discharge a little more quickly afterwards. Also, I noticed that once my Maxx hit the 67 or 68% mark, it would fly down to about 62% within minutes, even if idled. The phone would do the same thing around 27%. I'd put it down for 15 minutes and come back to see it at 19%.

The Turbo is far more consistent with battery drainage. I think people are thinking their Maxx had significantly better battery life, but that is partially an illusion due to the inconsistent discharge readings.

Also, for those who believe that the Maxx had significantly better battery life than the Turbo, I suggest turning down screen brightness if you can bear it. The Maxx's screen was only 720, so it could withstand more brightness. If you run the Turbo's incredible screen on close to max brightness, that sucks a lot of juice. I've been at about 10% brightness indoors and 40% outdoors. That's plenty for me.

100% agree that the readings seem more accurate on the Turbo, and the random jumps do not seem to happen like they did with the Maxx like you described, but in the end I've been charging my phone as soon as I get home because I'm around 10%, whereas with my Maxx, I would almost never have to do so until it was time for bed, much later on. Translation, not as good battery life in my opinion so far

TechJunkie#AC

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I think people are overlooking Lollipop's Project Volta. With 40% improvements being reported in prerelease images on the Nexus 5, imagine what are results will be.

If you haven't already read up on what Volta does. One of the features mentioned was reducing what goes on when your phone is idle. Any idle power problems that we have now may very well be gone before the end of the year once we have Lollipop.

jec11718

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
So put back on turbo charger....brought it up to 72% in about 20-25 mins. I had to leave so that was the most time to charge. Look at the drop.

Attachments

• 1915.jpg
    1915.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 140

Firedogee

Banned
Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I think people are overlooking Lollipop's Project Volta. With 40% improvements being reported in prerelease images on the Nexus 5, imagine what are results will be.

If you haven't already read up on what Volta does. One of the features mentioned was reducing what goes on when your phone is idle. Any idle power problems that we have now may very well be gone before the end of the year once we have Lollipop.

+1

And don't forget that KitKat has never been as battery friendly as ICS and JB