Droid wannabe!!!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
as a hockey player, ive never even heard of rollerblades as a brand. isnt that actually what their called? ive used bauer and mission before but ive always just assumed they were bauer or mission rollerblades.

No, they are all "inline skates" and Rollerblade is an actual brand. Like Kleenex is an actual brand (but everyone calls any facial tissue a "Kleenex"). Other ones are Escalator, Trampoline, Zipper, Aspirin, Butterscotch, Heroin (yes, Heroin is a trademark of Bayer, makers of Aspirin), Kerosene, Phillips-Head Screwdriver, Thermos, Cellophane, Linoleum, Granola, Yo-Yo, etc, all of which are actual trademarks, but the brand has become interchangeable with the item, regardless of manufacturer.

Although for some reason, they don't seem to think Kleenex is one (taken from Wikipedia):
Other trademarks have come close to genericization, but have been rescued by aggressive corrective campaigns. Such is the case with Xerox for copiers, Plexiglass for shatter-resistant polymer glass, Kleenex for facial tissues, and others. A trademark owner takes a risk in engaging in such a corrective campaign because the campaign may serve as an admission that the trademark is generic. So, the owner must irreversibly commit to continuing the campaign until he or she relatively sure the trademark has achieved primary meaning as a trademark rather than as a common name of the product or service.

I love the term "genericide."

It's also interesting to note that Google is trying to prevent their name from being genericized (being used as a verb such as in "Go google that")

Last edited:

TehMan

Jul 14, 2010
www.facebook.com
as a hockey player, ive never even heard of rollerblades as a brand. isnt that actually what their called? ive used bauer and mission before but ive always just assumed they were bauer or mission rollerblades.

yeah...RB is a big company...i use to ove their skates actually lol...since then i've turned in to a Razor fan boy :p

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
No, they are all "inline skates" and Rollerblade is an actual brand. Like Kleenex is an actual brand (but everyone calls any facial tissue a "Kleenex"). Other ones are Escalator, Trampoline, Zipper, Aspirin, Butterscotch, Heroin (yes, Heroin is a trademark of Bayer, makers of Aspirin), Kerosene, Phillips-Head Screwdriver, Thermos, Cellophane, Linoleum, Granola, Yo-Yo, etc, all of which are actual trademarks, but the brand has become interchangeable with the item, regardless of manufacturer.

Although for some reason, they don't seem to think Kleenex is one (taken from Wikipedia):

I love the term "genericide."

It's also interesting to note that Google is trying to prevent their name from being genericized (being used as a verb such as in "Go google that")

alright i see what your saying

Edge767

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
When someone asks, "Is that a Droid?" I tell them, "Yes, it's ANdroid." I then tell them that the Droid is one of many Android phones out there, and that the king of them all is the EVO.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Totally stupid. Droid is just short for android. Droid is a trademark owned by George Lucus and the star wars movies. Verizon pays to use the name in advertisement and calls all new Android phones a Droid something. The EVO is a droid or android phone. I have even seen in media releases call it thee droid army and in that they list the EVO and the galaxy s phones in that list. I only correct someone if they ask if its the new iphone.

MDteX

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Me, when they call my eVo a "Droid", I tell them it's an evo, which runs the Android Operating System.. If they still insist it's a Droid (or iPhone), I just hold onto the phone tightly, and smack them about the head, until they realize, that since I still have signal, it obviously isn't an iPhone 4G, or they see the Sprint logo coming at them again and again. :confused:

ROTFLMFAO!!!! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali