Droid wannabe!!!

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
so the other day i was at a party and something disturbing/funny happened. I was texting a friend and some girl said "is that a droid?" i responded, "well its like a droid but its not the 'the droid'". i tried explaining the whole deal to her but she just ended up telling me my phone was a "wannabe droid", lol. do you guys ever encounter somebody that just cant grasp the concept of what android is?

this whole thing is just verizons fault with their whole "droid" branding. the everyday person (or dumbass) cant understand. the best way ive found to describe it is to reference windows on a sony or a toshiba or something like that.

PS: i do not like the new theme on the forums particularly. way too much space devoted to that right sidebar. Edit: now it looks normal again.

Last edited:

dougeetx

Pimpin' Ain't Easy
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh hell no! Where's my pimp powder? Somebody's about to get slapped!!
ddnb11.jpg

pimp_hand1.jpg

Don't NOBODY call my EVO a droid!

PedroTheGoat

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've had to have the... "No, it's not the Droid... But it uses the Android operating system." talk with people many of times. They tend to just always get confused so I just drop it.

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I always just say Droid is verizon's branding of the Android platform. Android is an operating system, droid is a specific phone line that uses this o.s. If they don't get it thru I just sit and stare at them till they walk away.

Needless to say, I don't make many friends.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Every person that I have ever talked to doesn't understand, even those damn "droid" users. But its okay because I end up having a phone battle with them and need less to say. I win.

But I've yet to find another evo owner around, I'm just all alone in evo bliss.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I always just say Droid is verizon's branding of the Android platform. Android is an operating system, droid is a specific phone line that uses this o.s. If they don't get it thru I just sit and stare at them till they walk away.

Needless to say, I don't make many friends.

lol, i like that last line. i ussually just give my shortened spiel and they look at me like im crazy.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
i think the actual droid owners are the most oblivious, they think theyre the only one of their kind and their the closest thing to the cool iphone.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Its also funny/sad that peoole will go into an at&t or sprint store and ask for a "Droid" phone

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jeraymondjr

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Once a tag catches on it's hard to break. I used to work in a skate shop and people would come in asking for Rollerblades. What kind? Well, there's Bauer, K2, Mission, etc… And then there is the actual Rollerblade BRAND. To them they're all just rollerblades.

hockey4life0099

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Once a tag catches on it's hard to break. I used to work in a skate shop and people would come in asking for Rollerblades. What kind? Well, there's Bauer, K2, Mission, etc? And then there is the actual Rollerblade BRAND. To them they're all just rollerblades.

as a hockey player, ive never even heard of rollerblades as a brand. isnt that actually what their called? ive used bauer and mission before but ive always just assumed they were bauer or mission rollerblades.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I had a similar incident the other day at starbucks. I was waiting in line and this guy playing with his iphone asked me what kind of iphone did I have. I told him it wasn't an iphone but the htc evo. He put a stupid smirk on his face and said "oh, so it doesn't have any apps then, huh" and started snickering. So instead of arguing with the idiot (don't mess with me on Monday mornings) I just told him that it's idiotic remarks like that that allow at&t to keep charging him an arm and a leg. I then grabbed my drink and left.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar incident the other day at starbucks. I was waiting in line and this guy playing with his iphone asked me what kind of iphone did I have. I told him it wasn't an iphone but the htc evo. He put a stupid smirk on his face and said "oh, so it doesn't have any apps then, huh" and started snickering. So instead of arguing with the idiot (don't mess with me on Monday mornings) I just told him that it's idiotic remarks like that that allow at&t to keep charging him an arm and a leg. I then grabbed my drink and left.

Well played. Iphone people are the worst.

jwebste9

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've had to have the... "No, it's not the Droid... But it uses the Android operating system." talk with people many of times. They tend to just always get confused so I just drop it.

I was playing Xbox live with one of my friends who was saying how they just got a droid, so i was like sweet and we were talking about it, then the next time i saw him and he pulled it out it was the LG Ally!

I was like thats not a droid (insert croccodile dundee accent)

Then had to explain Android OS to him and he was lost.

I had to walk away

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Once a tag catches on it's hard to break. I used to work in a skate shop and people would come in asking for Rollerblades. What kind? Well, there's Bauer, K2, Mission, etc? And then there is the actual Rollerblade BRAND. To them they're all just rollerblades.

To be fair, the Rollerblade company has just had the good fortune to become the Kleenex moniker of inline skates. Just think of how many times people ask for a Kleenex when all they really meant was a facial tissue. Similarly, if you cut yourself, do you ask for a Band-Aid or an adhesive bandage?

capnhowdy18

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Theres huge sections of the older generations that call mp3 players iPods. In reality I think the best thing we can do for the android market is not to be snarky or mean, but generally try to explain people what is going on. Its the best for the platform as a whole.

Verizon, I think made a very smart move with the Droid branding.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Me, when they call my eVo a "Droid", I tell them it's an evo, which runs the Android Operating System.. If they still insist it's a Droid (or iPhone), I just hold onto the phone tightly, and smack them about the head, until they realize, that since I still have signal, it obviously isn't an iPhone 4G, or they see the Sprint logo coming at them again and again.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Me, when they call my eVo a "Droid", I tell them it's an evo, which runs the Android Operating System.. If they still insist it's a Droid (or iPhone), I just hold onto the phone tightly, and smack them about the head, until they realize, that since I still have signal, it obviously isn't an iPhone 4G, or they see the Sprint logo coming at them again and again.

LOL..Great course of action!:p

Most of the people I associate with are not very phone savvy when asked what phone is that I simply say the HTC Evo then I get, is that like the Iphone my reply nope it's even better!:cool: