Engadget Reporting HTC EVO 4G suffering occasional micro-USB port issues?

alaron#WP

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
i work in a Service Center and while not a widespread problem, i have seen it on two Evos plus one where the port was completely broken. We follow standard procedures where as long as the port is still connected we can swap them out. Completely broken off, and its Asurion.

So the Sprint policy here is to deny warranty service after normal use? :mad:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Normal use doesn't involve breaking off the charging port. Anything physical damage (which broken off is) has to go through insurance.

ctmiller118

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sent mine to HTC (through Best Buy/Geek Squad) on Wednesday. Had this issue for about 2 months, but didn't want to part with the phone. It finally got bad enough (not being able to charge it correctly) that I sent it away.

Will update when I hear from HTC or Best Buy with what they do to fix it.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
I had this issue, but I called Sprint and they replaced my phone.. mine was due to the charging port actually breaking inside the phone.. so couldn't even connect to the computer easily.

GooberVox

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I have had my EVO since launch day and noticed a few days ago that the charging port is loose and not connecting correctly. Im not that worried about it. I am very delicate with my phone and take extremely good care of it. But if it gets worse I will take it in.

Makad

May 9, 2010
Visit site
I have had this problem. About 2 months ago the micro charger port was very sensitive. Slightest movement and it would stop charging. This happened for about 2 weeks. The problem just stopped out of the blue. I knowingly did nothing to fix the problem.

GooberVox

May 14, 2010
Visit site
After posting yesterday, the port has gotten worse. I can barely charge without wrapping the cable around the phone. I did notice that the metal casing surrounding the port is loose. I guess I will be taking it in tomorrow. ;( Whats even worse is that I have ghost armor on the phone and spent 30 bucks on it. Now it will be gone =(

8tech

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Because of an un-related problem, a Sprint tech disassembled my phone. He told me when he was putting it back together, he saw something lodged next to my charging port. Maybe there's something around yours?

Patnet

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting this issue. Was intermittent, now won't charge at all or mount as drive. Phone now dead. Happened twice in the Calif. desert, drying out?

ctmiller118

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I sent my evo to htc in November and it took them almost a month to get it back to me. I just sent it out again for this same issue on Monday. Hopefully they return it a little faster this time!!

FireFighterChen

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement phone Jan 18th 2011 for hardware malfunction (5 vibrations and reboot loop). Since day 1 of my replacement I had issues with all other cables besides the one that came with the EVO for charging (wall or car) A couple days ago I plugged it into my computer for the first time to transfer more music. I had to push slight pressure downward onto the base of the cable (angling the cable upwards into the phone) to get it to connect via usb disk drive. I stopped positioning the cable so I didn't break the port inside any further. The port is very loose now. I have read multiple forums/threads on this problem. I read one place, that this was reported enough that Sprint will replace the phone as long as it works somewhat. If the port is completely broken, they will call it physical damage and make you put an insurance claim of $100. Since mine still works positionally I am going to try and get a replacement tomorrow since my Sprint stores are closed Sunday (just 19 days from my last replacement).

ctmiller118

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, just sent the EVO in for the 3rd time with this port issue! I am in the Best Buy Black Tie, so if it happens again I will get a new phone.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the issue, but I've already called it in.. Having to use my Pre (feels like a toy now.. it's sooo small). First time I've had the happen on a phone, but I guess it does... Whether or not it's a widespread issue, I haven't a clue.

I'm in the same boat...back to this Pre that feels like a toy (yup), is too small (yup), and unbelievably s-l-o-w. I can't believe I use to brag about that thing!! This is the pits. My Evo at first would charge very slowly or not hold the charge. Than it just stopped charging all together. I figured it had to be the Evo since I put the Pre on the same charger and it worked fine. I'm hoping that Sprint doesn't give me a problem at the store with fixing or replacing...I baby my phone so I doubt if it's anything that I've done to cause this issue.