Evo LTE's languishing on store shelves

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Evo seems to not be selling as well as HTC would have liked. And the HOX for that matter too.

The Evo is a rebranded HOX. HTC as already and came out and said the sales are not doing as well as thry would have liked. With the Evo AND HOX. They had a press release when they released there numbers for the year so far. They blamed Apple for the slow sales and part of that is correct. The other part is how the phone works. IMO I returned the HOX due to multitasking issues.

Now thats not to say that the EVO/HOX Is not selling well. I'm sure its selling good...Just it should have been a lot better in the eyes of HTC...Seeing there numbers and all. AC also did a report about this I believe.

Cheers...

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
7 million thats not bd for three weeks on the market...HTC is doing great if you ask me....:D:thumbup:

from Evo4GLTE on Android Central

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Not really surprised. HTC hasn't really had a big seller here since the first Evo. Samsung pretty much ran away with it on the GS2 and will likely do the same again this year. The buzz around here has been pretty mum with the phone though, hardly any advertising at all. Even in the corporate store when I went in there to look at it they weren't even trying to push the phone at all. I think right about now Sprint is just concerned about meeting that iPhone quota for the most part.

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Your guess is better than mine I have no idea. This is the quote from that commercial:

That line obviously doesn't mean the sales for the Evo LTE. It says Evo... I guess you forget that the Evo is a line of phones for Sprint. Thus them following it up by saying you can join them by getting the LTE. The likelihood that they've actually sold 7 million of these is slim to none.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It seems, from the context of the quote, that they are referencing the Evo brand in totality selling seven million, not the new Evo.
Anyone want to confirm that by searching the internet?

Sent from my (pretty awesome) SCH-i515

fkpalm

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
This just in!!! I phones and Ipads are not selling because I went to sprint and best buy and they told me they have tons of stock on all sizes and colors. Wow lol

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Checked internet and sales for Evo 4G LTE are not available as of yet, it's way to soon... They didn't go on sale until 5/26/12

Last edited:

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Visited a couple of high volume Sprint stores in the DC AREA area and a Best Buy. The reps claim that noone is interested in the Evo LTE. I was told that people take a look at it and move on. One rep in a Sprint store said the staff was told to push the Evo but are having little success, which one rep attributes to lack of advertising. He said some customers have called it "ugly" or asked, "What is that?" The rep said as soon as they received the first shipment he knew it would be a struggle to sell the Evo LTE based on the polarizing design. He says the general public comes in searching for cool looking phones. Very few are concerned with the inner workings of a device. The vast majority are concerned with aesthetics as opposed to features. If it can text, take photos, get them on Facebook and twitter and it looks hot, they're sold. The rep says HTC is gonna take a financial hit with this device, especially due to an absence of widespread marketing.
Whose to blame?
A friend on Dallas is in the market for a new phone. I told him he should check out the EvoLTE. A couple days later I asked him about it and he replied, "Man that thing is hideous! " That's the general public. HTC needs to get back to basics. I'm not sure if they can afford to tweak the design at this point.
It's well known that both Sprint and HTC are cash strapped, but they have to muster some sort of effort to get the word out about the Evo, especially since Samsung SIII is looming, and we know they have deep pockets, are massively popular right now and won't have problems marketing and moving products.
I still have the OG Evo (my son uses it), I bought my girlfriend the Evo 3D and I currently use the SII.
Hopefully HTC/Sprint will soon roll out a media blitz. Hell if only to let Apple know that it didn't win. That's worth going broke over.

Reactions: ScandaLeX

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
He says the general public comes in searching for cool looking phones. Very few are concerned with the inner workings of a device. The vast majority are concerned with aesthetics as opposed to features. If it can text, take photos, get them on Facebook and twitter and it looks hot, they're sold.

Gives further credence to the phrase "the masses are asses."

I really don't need record sales or every teeny-bopper, mom, grandma, and hipster to want this phone to validate my purchase of it. If I needed that, I would have gotten an iPhone.

In fact, I would prefer it remain an "enthusiast" phone. One that those "in the know," know what you have.

Reactions: Mercury81

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Please keep our comments in check, I understand some members don't agree with these type of threads but if you don't have anything good to add then please move along.

FYI, calling another member a troll or any form of it is also acting as a TROLL.

Paul627g,
Forums Moderator.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Visited a couple of high volume Sprint stores in the DC AREA area and a Best Buy. The reps claim that noone is interested in the Evo LTE. I was told that people take a look at it and move on. One rep in a Sprint store said the staff was told to push the Evo but are having little success, which one rep attributes to lack of advertising. He said some customers have called it "ugly" or asked, "What is that?" The rep said as soon as they received the first shipment he knew it would be a struggle to sell the Evo LTE based on the polarizing design. He says the general public comes in searching for cool looking phones. Very few are concerned with the inner workings of a device. The vast majority are concerned with aesthetics as opposed to features. If it can text, take photos, get them on Facebook and twitter and it looks hot, they're sold. The rep says HTC is gonna take a financial hit with this device, especially due to an absence of widespread marketing.
Whose to blame?
A friend on Dallas is in the market for a new phone. I told him he should check out the EvoLTE. A couple days later I asked him about it and he replied, "Man that thing is hideous! " That's the general public. HTC needs to get back to basics. I'm not sure if they can afford to tweak the design at this point.
It's well known that both Sprint and HTC are cash strapped, but they have to muster some sort of effort to get the word out about the Evo, especially since Samsung SIII is looming, and we know they have deep pockets, are massively popular right now and won't have problems marketing and moving products.
I still have the OG Evo (my son uses it), I bought my girlfriend the Evo 3D and I currently use the SII.
Hopefully HTC/Sprint will soon roll out a media blitz. Hell if only to let Apple know that it didn't win. That's worth going broke over.

Love your post. I've been saying for the longest that many people don't care about specs; they're looking for the coolest looking phone. For many, the Evo LTE doesn't have that WOW factor.

It's people like us who frequent these forums and others like it who care about specs.

I had the original Evo, then when it came out in white, I got that one too and have the black one away. The Evo 3D was a huge disappointment to me. It didn't feel like an upgrade...more like a step sideways.

My local Sprint stores says most people who come in and see the new Evo look at it twice and remark it doesn't resemble the first Evo at all. Then they ask when will the S3 be available.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: crzycrkr

brownhornet

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Just as a reference, they've already made this phone available to advantage club members. That NEVER happens when a phone is selling well. They made them wait for nearly 4 months with the first Evo and 3 months with the iphone.

Mercury81

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

I really don't need record sales or every teeny-bopper, mom, grandma, and hipster to want this phone to validate my purchase of it. If I needed that, I would have gotten an iPhone.

In fact, I would prefer it remain an "enthusiast" phone. One that those "in the know," know what you have.

I Agree this does not have to be a fanboy phone for me to choose and enjoy it. I pick a phone for many other reasons and not based entirely on its esthetics or face book capabilities. I too was called a troll on this site and no one made notice because I pointed out the imperfections of GS3 screen burn which is documented on several forums including this one.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site

I agree...to an extent. I dont care what others thinPhones that sell to the masses are the phones that will be produced. "Enthusiast phones" fall by the wayside for the most part. The EVO needs to sell somewhat well. Although if it doesn't maybe we'll end up with a beautiful, untouched HTC phone instead of a Frankenstein looking phone

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Gladius Nova

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
The rep said as soon as they received the first shipment he knew it would be a struggle to sell the Evo LTE based on the polarizing design. He says the general public comes in searching for cool looking phones. Very few are concerned with the inner workings of a device. The vast majority are concerned with aesthetics as opposed to features. If it can text, take photos, get them on Facebook and twitter and it looks hot, they're sold.

You are probably right. "The masses" don't even understand the basics of any specifications. I do think it is funny that the original EVO would was so hot, and that phone is ugly compared to the Evo LTE, with its cool silver bezel and red stripe. Oh well.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
You are probably right. "The masses" don't even understand the basics of any specifications. I do think it is funny that the original EVO would was so hot, and that phone is ugly compared to the Evo LTE, with its cool silver bezel and red stripe. Oh well.

The fit and finish of the LTE is far superior, but looks? Not so much. There are very few out there that actually like how it looks. And I'm not talking about the EVO LTE boards, but tech boards/websites/people in general. Most look at it and wonder what they were thinking.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Guess I'm one of the 'few' that really likes the look and pretty much everything else about this phone. :)

I love everything about the phone except forbthe design. And maybe the battery situation. But the design was definitely not well received in the tech community. I can live with it, and will probably sandblast the shiney plastic, or cover it with carbon fiber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali