Face Recognition Unlock

dpineda85

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had any problems with this feature? If my phone is on standby for a long period of time, it by-passes face recognition when unlocked and takes me to the pattern lock screen.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I haven't had any problem unless it's very dark in the place where I unlock the phone. Even after sitting overnight. I'm actually surprised how well it works.

Darth Mo

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Seems pretty erratic to me all around.

I get either: it works, maybe a third of the time, every once in a while I get something like "sorry I don't recognize you," another third of the time it gives up after like a second and says "cannot find a face."

Then the rest I see what you're describing where it seems to skip it all together. Perhaps the app is crashing? Think it would report that.

We need someone with a little more experience with it. I swear when I don't think it has a chance to work, like if it's dark, it opens up almost instantly. But when it good light, it seems to look at me for three or four seconds and just gives up. Need tips on how to make it more reliable.

jwbekens

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I like it. It works in low light, when I have on a hat, or sunglasses, on my bike helmet. No problems. But my wife thinks it looks strange when I turn on the phone and hold it up like a mirror to unlock it. Functional yes. A little disturbing, too.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I like it. It works in low light, when I have on a hat, or sunglasses, on my bike helmet. No problems. But my wife thinks it looks strange when I turn on the phone and hold it up like a mirror to unlock it. Functional yes. A little disturbing, too.

My friends and family are getting a little tired of me checking to see if it will unlock with their faces.

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been using it on my Transformer for awhile and yeah it's a little strange when I hold it up like a mirror.

haven't tried it on this yet.

NicksGarage

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Didn't even know it was there. How does it work so I can try? Sorry, so amazed at my screen I haven't noticed.

Go to Settings > Security > Screen lock and then select face unlock. It will guide you through what to do. If you wear glasses sometimes, you scan your face with and without them. Anything that changes your look you just keep scanning to add to the patterns it recognizes.

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I also had it work in a mirror. A friend of mine confirmed it works on pictures, also.

But I have also noticed that occasionally when I wake up the screen it skips the face check and goes right to my secondary login. Or sometimes if my face isn't at the correct angle, it will say that no face was detected.

The technology is definitely in its infancy, and at this point is more of a novelty than anything. But it's still pretty fun. And everyone not familiar with it seems incredibly surprised when I show it to them.

Another thing I wondered about was if you could take pictures of multiple people and have them all able to unlock the phone. Or would it recognize that they weren't you and not allow it? I've been meaning to test it out with my girlfriend, but I haven't yet. And I don't know if you can reset the recognitions.

Last edited:

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
Make sure to go back in the settings and select improve face matching. It's good to do it in different light conditions.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvagmailaccounts