G4 overheated during navigation and caused the screen to go super dim

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
Using navigation, charging and the sun beating down on the phone. I'm sure these things working in congress caused the issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If the sun was beating down on the phone that would heat up the phone and the battery. Placing a white piece of paper on the phone would make a difference? But then audio directions only, Even with the AC on full blast, the phone will still absorb the energy from the sun if in direct sunlight on the dashboard.

I understand about the heat... But my note 4 worked fine in the same heat...plus I was running hotspot on the note 4 and it held fine.

I would rather not put a piece of paper... It would further restrict my road view... And is inconvenient.

Sent from my Asus Zenfone 2

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I understand about the heat... But my note 4 worked fine in the same heat...plus I was running hotspot on the note 4 and it held fine.

I would rather not put a piece of paper... It would further restrict my road view... And is inconvenient.

Well then the Note 4 wins for heat dissipation - assuming everything else equal.

I was suggesting the white paper flat on dash over phone, not on the windshield. Not much of a suggestion - just throwing it out there.
Hope you find a solution!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
One of these days when going to Orlando I will have to fire it up and see how it goes. I can say my Note 3 from Jacksonville to NJ got pretty hot in the windshield but never saw a warning -- So not sure how the G4 will handle for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
One of these days when going to Orlando I will have to fire it up and see how it goes. I can say my Note 3 from Jacksonville to NJ got pretty hot in the windshield but never saw a warning -- So not sure how the G4 will handle for me.
Note 3 ran pretty hot. Probably close to the g4 . Note 4 ran way cooler than both.

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Just this weekend did a 7 hour road trip using my G4 for music (over Bluetooth using N7 Player mostly) and GPS. Had it plugged in and charging for the first two hours and didn't have a problem. Decided to test the battery after it got up to 100% and just left it unplugged for the next 5 hours of navigation and music. Lost about 30-35% battery or so (screen off the whole time). I meant to take a game capture but forgot. Sorry your experience was different! Very odd but I was extremely surprised by how well the phone did.

For reference I'm usually getting around 3 hours SoT (good enough for me) with awesome standby battery life (can usually go a full day without charging)

cocous

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I had to this issue but I bieleve with some software update LG will fix all this thermal issues like gflex2
The phone is fantastic and works for me very cool. The overheat warning i had it because i push my phone very much in one very hot day and i test it inside on my car on front glass with the sun burn used as gps and and without air cool.
And we must thing not only the phone but and the software running behind.
Personaly i used the same time with navigon and cpu temp monitoring and internet speed monitoring. And for my phone i use to protect from scratches the spigen case and this case is black silicon and fat and keep the phone most hot. Otherwise the G4 works very good and cool.
But i want to know if you push it when have this warning. I look the cpu temp after warning and it had 58 celsius.
If the limit is 58-60 Celsius i thing is small if you think the 88celsius on G3

Στάλθηκε από το LG-H815 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Last edited:

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I've been having major over heating while watching a youtube video in my apartment at 70 degrees. Yesterday when i had the gps on it got very hot too.. I think it's the phone. It's only in one spot next to the left of the volume buttons which technically the battery isn't sitting there.

cocous

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I've been having major over heating while watching a youtube video in my apartment at 70 degrees. Yesterday when i had the gps on it got very hot too.. I think it's the phone. It's only in one spot next to the left of the volume buttons which technically the battery isn't sitting there.
You have to overheating warning?
If yes you see what cpu temp you haved?

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I never got the warning. I could just feel the back of the phone get too hot to touch. When the GPS was on it was in my car full AC and not in the sun light. When in my apartment it was in a dark room with Youtube running for about 10 minutes. I installed GSAM today, i will try to run it later and share cpu when it gets real hot again

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
If you can also install CPU-Z, and leave it set to display the temp in C (when set to F, there is apparently a conversion error, and the Thermal tab values are wrong), you could share the higher temps, which will be above the battery's temperature. I don't think GSam shows temps other than the battery's temperature.

cocous

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I never got the warning. I could just feel the back of the phone get too hot to touch. When the GPS was on it was in my car full AC and not in the sun light. When in my apartment it was in a dark room with Youtube running for about 10 minutes. I installed GSAM today, i will try to run it later and share cpu when it gets real hot again
I got warning and the cpu had 58 celsius but i push it very much. Otherwise the phone on games or internet works cool.
If anyone get overheat warning please i want to know what temp he had on cpu.
Thanks.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you can also install CPU-Z, and leave it set to display the temp in C (when set to F, there is apparently a conversion error, and the Thermal tab values are wrong), you could share the higher temps, which will be above the battery's temperature. I don't think GSam shows temps other than the battery's temperature.
It cooled a bit before this screen shot. Will try to get it right when it happens next time. Ambient is 79F,and it is overcast but I am using mobile hotspot. I unplugged and re plugged it in a little after it dimmed the screen

uploadfromtaptalk1435432594858.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435432602504.jpguploadfromtaptalk1435432607318.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is what I see under normal usage like browsing, email, Tapatalk, hangouts, etc.

uploadfromtaptalk1435517336376.jpg

Sent from my Verizon LG G4

Super Turtleman

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar thing happen. Driving on I-75, using Waze for Navigation, playing music via BT and charging. It was mounted on the windshield getting full sun exposure, so I'm sure all those things combined to overheat it.

However, my Note 3 was used in that same manner ALL THE TIME and I never experienced it overheating. If the Note 5 comes out and is a beast, I may jump ship back to Samsung.

Sent from my Verizon LG G4 via Tapatalk

Jaggrey

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Honestly some phones are better at this than others. I've never been able to do this with any HTC. It would always start flashing red and get really hot, so I could never charge and use GPS at the same time. That's with every HTC phone I've had (Evo, M7, M8, even Windows Mobile phones). I remember other phones if they wouldn't overheat they would at least maintain the charge they were at when they were plugged in. This is all pre-Quick Charge days.

txsizzler

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
If I tether for 30 minutes or more, my G4 starts feeling mighty warm. Not sure why it does that, as the screen is off, and I am not charging it. I just usually quit tethering at that point, and it cools down quickly.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I tether for 30 minutes or more, my G4 starts feeling mighty warm. Not sure why it does that, as the screen is off, and I am not charging it. I just usually quit tethering at that point, and it cools down quickly.

Definitely odd. Using the international model I let a buddy of mine tether (USB) to his PC for like 2 hours today and he was using the internet the whole time. The phone barley got warm and that is with charging.

Such crazy results we are all getting with various versions of the phone haha :D.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
It would be great to understand if the difference is due to the carrier, the phone model # (variant), or the actual physical phone itself (like a scenario where exchanging it could help).

People say the Verizon models seem to have more issues. And this may be completely true. But it's also possible that Verizon is just selling more than a different US carrier. Skewing the conclusions, if you simply go by the # of users reporting issues who have Verizon phones.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao