Galaxy S III flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other problems

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S III is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
  2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
  3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
  4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
  5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.

But I could cope with all of the above. No, the real problem is that it won't stay connected to my PC via USB! That's a deal-breaker. What's the point of having 32 GB of space if I can't transfer data?

I was up until 5 am last night trying to get this to work, and no joy. I'm running Windows 7 Home, 64 bit.

I plugged the phone in, and first, it couldn't install the drivers. Fine, I downloaded them manually. After some trial and error and a reboot, it recognizes the phone when it's connected ... briefly. After a few seconds, the connection flakes out, and I can't transfer any files. Any files that were already in process give an error message that says: "Cannot copy (whatever file was being transferred). The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected. Stop copying/skip this file."

I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine, and I've noticed that it stops responding when the phone screen turns off after it's been connected initially and identifies the USB connection. It's like the driver isn't feeding the information to keep the connection active or something.

Has anyone else had this problem?

I hate that I've invested nearly $80 in cases/covers/screen protectors at this point, but even so, I am considering cutting my losses and trading it in for the HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Thoughts? Any help is truly welcomed.

Many thanks!

(This is the fourth cell phone I've had in my life. I've never had a problem like this until now. I loved my original Evo 4G.)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I've seen the issue with the file transfer via usb port fairly often. If I have large files or a lot of files, I just remove the sd card from the phone and install it in my computers card reader. It has a faster transfer rate than usb anyway.

camiller

Oct 23, 2009
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S III flakes out / fails with Windows 7 and other prob

...I don't think it's a bad USB cable: the phone charges fine,...

Couldn't hurt to try. Just because the wires for power in the USB cable, doesn't meant the wires for data transfer are. Also try a different USB port. It could conceivably be a bad usb port in the phone, you might need to swap for another GS3 from your seller.

Reactions: fullofsecrets

pteezay

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

Let me make this short and sweet for you. Get the evo 4g lte and all should be well.

Close thread.

Tapatalked from the 3rd galaxy

I agree. s3 has too many problems and after the EVO LTE's latest update...you'd be much happier on the other side.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site

I have the constant USB on and off thing when plugged in a certain USB port on my laptop. If I plug it in another one, probably bc it has more power?, it works fine. By USB on and off, I'm talking about the connect/disconnect sound 5-6 times in a row, and then when it does connect, it disconnects after maybe 10 minutes.

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

I've seen the issue with the file transfer via usb port fairly often. If I have large files or a lot of files, I just remove the sd card from the phone and install it in my computers card reader. It has a faster transfer rate than usb anyway.

That'd be an acceptable solution, except for the fact that the phone doesn't include a physical SD card (and I don't have a card reader in my computer at the moment due to a boring explanation). Thank you for responding, though.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

I've had no problems with the USB connected to my windows 7 laptop. But WIFI File Explorer Pro has also let me download and upload hundreds of MB at a time without any issues (and it's a lot more convenient).

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Don't all Galaxy III's have a micro sd card?

They all have 16 or 32gb of non-removable internal storage (which the phone refers to as the sd card). They all also have the ability to add an additional removable SD card (which the phone refers to as "ext sd)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is not a troll post, but the Samsung Galaxy S III is making me miserable.

1. It's too big. My hand actually aches a bit after holding it for a while.
  2. The power button is in a crummy place. I keep pressing it accidentally (I am left-handed).
  3. They seem to have cheaped out on the screen. I don't know if supply was a problem or if the Powers That Be at Samsung were cutting costs, but a number of reviewers have enthused, "The high resolution means that Pentile isn't an issue!" Maybe my contact lenses make a difference, but to me, the granularity is noticeable, and the screen protector I have on it exacerbates it.
  4. The Flashlight widget is lame and sad. First, it's pretentiously dubbed "Assistive light," and then, the widget takes up unnecessary room. 2x2? Really, Samsung? You couldn't have just given us a 1x1 icon that looks like a flashlight and called it done? Yes, sure, I can download a Flashlight app, but I want one that's ad free and, frankly, I shouldn't have to do this because Samsung made a bizarre design choice.
  5. Messaging. I don't like the cutesy chat bubbles in the UI. I miss the clean, basic view in my original Evo.
)

1st Issue - I can't really say much here. They gave you the specs of the screen size. Next time try the phone in store and that might give you a better idea on how it will feel for your hand.

2nd Issue - This is the power button location for my last 2 android phone so ..?

3rd Issue - I cannot comment on this since I do not use screen protectors. My screen looks just fine to me and I don't really see any issues.

4th & 5th Issue - These can be solved with apps from the market. I always use a different flashlight from the store and I also use chompSMS from the market since it can be themed since I agree .. I hate the default msgr.

Also you mentioned the issue with transferring files. At the moment I can transfer and I only noticed one disconnect. I think it may have been me not plugging it in fully because I haven't had it happen again but can't say for sure. I have windows 7 pro 64-bit. --- Ensure you have all your mobo drivers installed and maybe a samsung one if needed. Or try a different USB port to see if your luck improves.

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Couldn't hurt to try. Just because the wires for power in the USB cable, doesn't meant the wires for data transfer are. Also try a different USB port. It could conceivably be a bad usb port in the phone, you might need to swap for another GS3 from your seller.

Well, you were right: just for grins and giggles, I tried it with the USB cable from my husband's Galaxy S II, and it works! Thanks. :)

So, that's a solvable problem. I still might swing by the Sprint store, though, and take another look at the HTC. I went with the Samsung because of the space and the removable battery, but there are a lot of little things about the phone that I am finding unpleasant in terms of UI, both hardware and software.

I also don't like the way the capacitive buttons fade out so I have to guess at where they are.

Anyway, enough venting from me --- thank you for solving my data transfer issue! :)

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

Problems 1-5 could have been eliminated if not alleviated just by trying out the phone first. Seeing what it offered and what it didn't. Oh and all phones are getting bigger. Get use to it and woman up.

Your only real point is the constant cutting out of the usb cord. I would try a different usb port and even get a new cord. NOT ALL cords are the same. Seriously.

edited for the sex of op. Sorry. lol

Last edited:

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

1st Issue - I can't really say much here. They gave you the specs of the screen size. Next time try the phone in store and that might give you a better idea on how it will feel for your hand.

2nd Issue - This is the power button location for my last 2 android phone so ..?

4th & 5th Issue - These can be solved with apps from the market. I always use a different flashlight from the store and I also use chompSMS from the market since it can be themed since I agree .. I hate the default msgr..

I did try the phone in-store. I actually waited until I could compare the HTC and the Samsung side by side. However, it's impossible for me to tell anything with the cords that connect to the alarm system -- trying to wrap my hand around the phone to avoid those is awkward no matter what, so it's difficult for me to get a sense of the size of the phone with store models.

My previous phone was an original HTC Evo, and the power button was located on the top, rather than the side.

Thanks for the suggestion of ChompSMS. I'll have to check that out.

Turns out that the USB cable itself was flaky. USB ports on the PC are dandy. I tried it with the cable from my husband's Galaxy S II, and it worked like a champ. Now I just have to decide if I can tolerate the phone well enough to keep it for two years. ;)

fullofsecrets

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Problems 1-5 could have been eliminated if not alleviated just by trying out the phone first. Seeing what it offered and what it didn't. Oh and all phones are getting bigger. Get use to it and man up.

I did try the phone in the store. However, as I explained to a previous poster, it's difficult to tell how big the phone is/how much you'll have to stretch your hands when all the phones have those alarm cords attached to them right at the place you'd normally grip them, so you end up holding them sort of at the bottom with your fingertips, trying to get the cord out of the way. Besides, holding it briefly in the store gives you no sense of how your hand is going to feel after holding it for an hour in real use.

I fail to see what masculinity has to do with it: people have different hand sizes ... I seem to recall that they adjusted the original X-Box controller to be a little smaller to be more comfortable in Asian markets. I wear a ring size 4 and 1/2 -- that's teeny. I have very small hands for an adult female. Maybe instead of me "manning up," you should try walking in someone else's shoes that are the wrong size for you, and see how comfortable they are. Smartphones are not gender specific: everyone uses them.

The screen did not look as bad in the store as it does fully loaded with apps and a mobile wallpaper as the background. I even tried testing it with different videos to examine saturation, pixelation, and blur. Besides, any one of these issues would've been tolerable -- it's the combination that's making me feel really dissatisfied with the purchase.

Ultimately, I'm really frustrated by the research I did with reviews (here, the Verge, other sites), and found no real clear winner between the two. The Samsung has more space and a removable battery going for it. The HTC has a better screen and a kickstand. I thought when I purchased it that the Samsung factors were more important, and so that was the primary basis for my decision, given that the HTC is less than a millimeter narrower than the Galaxy S III. I'd also heard that the HTC had some issues with wifi connectivity and Google Wallet, so I gave the edge to the S III. I had no idea that all these little annoying factors were going to crop up and combine to make me question my choice.

Last edited:

Seven_Speed

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site

dude there is a setting for the capacitive buttons to stay on all the time when screen is on.....u really have to play with your phone and go through all the setting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hadadmusa45