Galaxy s5 Battery Drain

Shams H

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Same as my model but mine does not drain battery it just warms I prefer turn off GPS and GOOGLE+

They are already turned off. location services are also off
when I'm not using the device (screen is turned off) it drains about 2% per hour
when I start using it it drains 20-25% every hour
I will try buying another battery or resetting my device and hopefully it'll be better
thanks anyway, :)

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
:confused:Battery Guru takes about a week to learn the way you use the device, it then begins to help out and use its knowledge of what you do. Using Battery Guru alone and not using any tools to conserve i need to recharge about every 10 hours. Without Battery Guru i was recharging about every 6 hours. It takes a while but it does work. Still i too have bought a spare battery and charger. :rolleyes:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
There is thread I did now called battery fox drain let's discuss how to fix battery life there

Posted via Android Central App

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Settings I turn off to conserve battery:

-Location reporting
-Sync
-Vibrate
-Uncheck search for wifi even when wifi is off
-Usage data reporting by apps is off
-I use auto brightness
-Turn off apps you don't use

Those basic things will improve battery life tremendously IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App

Those are pretty much my favorite settings too. I also set location mode to battery saving unless using GPS and leave Sync on only for apps I need to use.

But I never did turn off usage data report by apps. How do you do that?

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
How long does it take for your battery to go flat with this configuration? And how much time do you reckon you spend with the screen on?

I just got the S5 a few days ago, so the jury is still out. But I got 4 hours of SOT yesterday and about 16 hours out of the battery. But I was also at work where I lose signal when I walk into different parts of the building, so I think I can get at least another hour of screen on time out of this thing at home.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Those are pretty much my favorite settings too. I also set location mode to battery saving unless using GPS and leave Sync on only for apps I need to use.

But I never did turn off usage data report by apps. How do you do that?

Just go into doesn't app settings and see whether or not that specific app likes to report anything or not. Not every app does it, just a few.

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the S5 battery.
I've set location services to power saving mode, turned off Google +, flip board, chat on, various Samsung apps/bloatware.

I use auto brightness, power saving is off:

Coming from a note 3 which also had great battery life, but I really like the S5, glad I made the switch.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-02-46.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-02-46.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-02-54.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-02-54.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-03-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-04-20-03-06.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 42

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Impressive but, power saving off and you're getting 7.5hrs screen time?? ok that makes no sense at all. Are you sure you have a 2800mah battery? lol

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with the S5 battery.
I've set location services to power saving mode, turned off Google +, flip board, chat on, various Samsung apps/bloatware.

I use auto brightness, power saving is off:

Coming from a note 3 which also had great battery life, but I really like the S5, glad I made the switch.

This is with no power saving mode on?

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
Yes, power saving off. About 3 hours of the screen time was reading a book using the Google book app @ night with brightness turned down.

Also Bluetooth off.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Try keeping the wifi off when u are not using it, the screen to low brightness and the time out for the screen on its minimum.
The main source of battery drain is the screen it self I believe ^

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, power saving off. About 3 hours of the screen time was reading a book using the Google book app @ night with brightness turned down.

Also Bluetooth off.

You are probably the only one here has that high of a screen time on this forum without using power saving mode

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
^That's with power saving mode turned off, location set to power saving, I've got all the apps I don't use turned off, auto brightness on, location reporting off, sync off, etc.

Posted via my Galaxy S5

pingmkv

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Try CPU Spy to check if your phone ever goes into Deep Sleep most of the time and if not then something must be keeping the CPU running in the background.....

Tiffany Owen

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
20 hours! Wow, I'm lucky to get 6 hours. When I first bought it, I got a whole day, woopie, not I'm lucky to make it lunch before I have to plug in my external battery pack which only charges it to 20%. I am sooooo disappointed in this phone.

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
I don't use TW. I've been using nova prime for quite a while.

I don't have any hard evidence, but it seems to me that Nova Prime is less of an energy hog than TW.

I also had rooted my phone with Towel Root, but the last small OTA update unrooted the phone. I decided to do a factory wipe and reinstalled the most recent stock firmware using Odin.

The battery life improved significantly after that.

I had the same experience with my note 3. With jelly bean, the note had ridiculous battery life. That changed after the KK update. I rooted the note 3, then unrooted it using the same method (Odin, most recent firmware) which brought back the stellar battery life.

This is just my personal experience, no hard scientific evidence/testing...

sctbc2

Feb 17, 2014
Visit site
With power saving off:
I'll enable power saving during the next go round... See what happens.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-17.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-25.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-16-14-42-33.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 44