Galaxy s5 Battery Drain

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I have been using Galaxy S5 for a few months now, the first 3 months, the battery life was great. Lately I can't even get through the day without recharging mid-day. Opening the battery statistic, there is this process called gpsd, and it was never shown before.
I dug deeper into gpsd online, and it said an app maybe triggered the process.
I have tried:
Turning off location, uninstalling apps that recently updated that has location access.. nothing. So I did factory reset and have not installed no 3rd party apps yet, but the gpsd shown up already.
I am getting so frustrated now, Any idea what could be the culprit?
I can't install wakelock app since the phone had to be rooted, and in my country, rooted phone = warranty void

Northern.dj

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok I think I have seen what it could be if you look at the system apps and look at the non samsung system apps that are running.
This is how networks hide there rubbish
So when this happens the finger does not point at them

Posted via the Android Central App

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I have been using Galaxy S5 for a few months now, the first 3 months, the battery life was great. Lately I can't even get through the day without recharging mid-day. Opening the battery statistic, there is this process called gpsd, and it was never shown before.
I dug deeper into gpsd online, and it said an app maybe triggered the process.
I have tried:
Turning off location, uninstalling apps that recently updated that has location access.. nothing. So I did factory reset and have not installed no 3rd party apps yet, but the gpsd shown up already.
I am getting so frustrated now, Any idea what could be the culprit?
I can't install wakelock app since the phone had to be rooted, and in my country, rooted phone = warranty void

Since you have done a factory reset, you don't have much on it except for Vendor bloatware.

Open the App Drawer (the block of grids, lower right corner of phone)

Uninstall/Turn OFF all of the extraneous apps not needed to make the phone work as a phone. That will be most of them.
Long Press, drag to top and drop onto Uninstall icon.

No harm will be done, all of this can be undone by turning them back ON later.

I've had my phone since 4/11 and always leave the GPS 'on' and in High Accuracy Mode.

I also use MacroDroid to turn the internet (WiFi & Data) OFF when the screen is locked.
When the screen is Unlocked, MD turns the internet back ON.

If my phone is idle and unused, it will literally only use about 8% battery per day, that is more than six (6) days of idle standby time with the internet turned off. The phone still receives calls and SMS, so I have lost nothing during this internet OFF time.

The phone is never warm to the touch. The only time it ever gets a little warm is when laying on the Qi wireless charger pad.... but, after about 4 hours, the phone is fully charged and cools down again.

As I suggested, turn off all apps you don't need, test to see if your phone works normally at that point.
Also, manually turn off the WiFi and Data feature, and watch the phone in idle mode. I suggest that this will stop your battery drain problem.

mklasse

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Since you have done a factory reset, you don't have much on it except for Vendor bloatware.

Open the App Drawer (the block of grids, lower right corner of phone)

Uninstall/Turn OFF all of the extraneous apps not needed to make the phone work as a phone. That will be most of them.
Long Press, drag to top and drop onto Uninstall icon.

No harm will be done, all of this can be undone by turning them back ON later.

I've had my phone since 4/11 and always leave the GPS 'on' and in High Accuracy Mode.

I also use MacroDroid to turn the internet (WiFi & Data) OFF when the screen is locked.
When the screen is Unlocked, MD turns the internet back ON.

If my phone is idle and unused, it will literally only use about 8% battery per day, that is more than six (6) days of idle standby time with the internet turned off. The phone still receives calls and SMS, so I have lost nothing during this internet OFF time.

The phone is never warm to the touch. The only time it ever gets a little warm is when laying on the Qi wireless charger pad.... but, after about 4 hours, the phone is fully charged and cools down again.

As I suggested, turn off all apps you don't need, test to see if your phone works normally at that point.
Also, manually turn off the WiFi and Data feature, and watch the phone in idle mode. I suggest that this will stop your battery drain problem.

I did everything with no avail.. and it turned out my network provider (Indosat) that has caused the gpsd problem.. it was weird as I have used the same provider since the day I bought my galaxy S5. It only caused problem now, approx.3 months after the purchase. The problem only occurred if I activate mobile data. If I deactivated mobile data and restart the phone, the problem dissapeared. Once I activate mobile data (even on wifi), gpsd instantly re-appeared, and the phone will never get into deep sleep mode.
I have bought a couple of pre-paid sim from different providers, and found no problem on gpsd drain. My mom is also using Indosat, so I have also tried using her sim, just in case my sim card is defective, and gpsd problem instantly re-appeared. So I am guess it wasn't because of defective sim card.
I have tried asking local forums for those who are using Galaxy S5 on Indosat network, and so far only 5 people has responded, and 3 of them has gpsd issue, while the other 2 is fine. Weird. My cousin is also on Indosat but her phone is Lenovo K900, she did not have gpsd issue.
I have tried contacting Indosat by phone and e-mail, no solution is given until now, they did not even reply my e-mail.
Anyway, I have switched provider now, and gpsd problem never resurfaced ever since, and my battery life is great now.

dgrobe2112

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
hey guys.. i have had my phone over 6 months now.. and had good battery life. now, it wont go half a day. take off the charger in the morning, like i always do, listen to music at work, like i always do, except now, the last week or 2. the battery is just about dead at lunch. never happened before.

the battery stats show "phone" as the culprit. whats up with that. i have never seen phone even show up on my list.
off charger for 4 hours 30 mins. battery down to 47%.
Phone is 47%
screen 21%
AndroidOS 8%

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
hey guys.. i have had my phone over 6 months now.. and had good battery life. now, it wont go half a day. take off the charger in the morning, like i always do, listen to music at work, like i always do, except now, the last week or 2. the battery is just about dead at lunch. never happened before.

the battery stats show "phone" as the culprit. whats up with that. i have never seen phone even show up on my list.
off charger for 4 hours 30 mins. battery down to 47%.
Phone is 47%
screen 21%
AndroidOS 8%

Are you using the stock dialer?

I have tried a couple of dialer apps and not all of them are well behaved and you need to close them out.

Personally, I went into Develper Options and have clicked the "Close apps when user is through with them" box and the dialer now exits correctly. This does NOT remove that item from the Recent List, it just closes the app.

I am now using exDialer in tandem with the OEM dialer.

Each has its' own advantages. I go back 'n forth on occasion.

sidepipe

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
There are probably loads of reasons for battery drain... definitely some apps etc can cause issues, as can a poor signal etc... though unless you want it to last for days you shouldn't have to turn off mobile data, location services, bluetooth, etc etc.

I've been having an annoying battery drain issue not related to any of the above. In fact, even UPSM didn't help, so clearly not an app problem. The phone would be fine for weeks, and then for no ( apparent ) reason would start using 7%+ an hour even when idle. A factory reset cleared the issue, but it would come back again after a random time after ( seemingly ) no changes to its set-up. Yesterday though I may have finally figured it out.

The battery drain issue started after I'd not fully charged the phone. Normally, I put it on charge every night and so it's always at 100% at the start of the day. However, I was in a hotel with no convenient power socket, and wanted to use the alarm, so left it off charge until the morning. It started at around 50%, I charged it for about 45 minutes ( after which it was saying 72% ) and then unplugged it again. This was at about 9.30am, but by 7pm the battery was down to 16%.

As an experiment, I switched the phone off and charged it ( rather than leaving it on. ) The battery charge went up to 99% pretty quickly, but then stayed on 99% for about half an hour before finally saying it was charged. Today it's been fine again ( on 91% now after 5 hours on battery. ) So, the jury's still out on whether this is a real fix for my particular issue, but if it is then it lends credence to the theory that the battery calibration can be affected if the phone isn't fully charged, and maybe it's just that the electronics were cutting off the battery charge way before it was at 100% ( even though it was showing 100% on the phone. )

Ricciardo Turner

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Hi All,

I read this in another post somewhere and it appears that "Location" is the culprit for the battery drain problems everyone is having. This simple solution worked for me as well as the original author.

1. Turn off "Location" and restart phone (If not already on, turn on for 10 minutes and then turn off again before restart)
2. Turn "Location" back on and restart phone.

This should fix the battery drain problem. It appears that "Location" gets "stuck" and is constantly searching even when your phone is sleeping and just needs a refresh every now and then.:)

AZgl1500

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
If all else is okay,, Location being on does not hurt the battery.
The GPS on activates when another app polls it asking for 'location'

My location is on all the time, GPS only.

Lawtse

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I resolved the battery drain problem by resetting the phone and I stopped using the finger print scanner and now the phone works fine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali