Galaxy s5 Battery Drain

Awais Hassan

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
so here is the todays battery usage..i think im comfortable with it ..but still...can it be improved? Screen on time around 3 hours..1 hr of voice calls.
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-40.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-46.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-59.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-52-08.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-52-22.jpg

Awais Hassan

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
That looks awesome. Can you tell me what settings you are using in power saving mode and if you have anything else that you're using that may help me.

I've never gotten more than 16 hours of battery and would love to get more.

Ive done two things...in settings --> data usage..tap that 3 dot menu on right upper corner and turn off auto data sync..
2ndly in settings > power saving >power saving mode > turn on block Background data.. these two things improved my battery life upto 20 hours.. with 3 hours of screen on time

Awais Hassan

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
here are my stats from today..3 hrs of screen on time and one hour of voice calls... still i think it can improve..if uve got any suggestions..turned off sync..bloatwares..restricted background data..but restrict performance is still off as i dnt wanna limit my cell's capabilities...
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-40.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-46.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-51-59.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-52-08.jpg
Screenshot_2014-08-03-23-52-22.jpg

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
here are my stats from today..3 hrs of screen on time and one hour of voice calls... still i think it can improve..if uve got any suggestions..turned off sync..bloatwares..restricted background data..but restrict performance is still off as i dnt wanna limit my cell's capabilities...
View attachment 130487
View attachment 130488
View attachment 130489
View attachment 130490
View attachment 130491

With only less than 3 hours of screen time in 19 hours, that's very poor. You need to figure out what is excessively drain your battery.

jd6102

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That looks awesome. Can you tell me what settings you are using in power saving mode and if you have anything else that you're using that may help me.

ugyhatuh.jpg
huvega7u.jpg

everything is a stock VZW S5. I did the update Friday. But other than that it's all stock.

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
What are the apps with the highest percentage?

Sync is off? Manually disable app in Application manager. Clear cache.

Some apps might be running while your phone is off if your mobile data is on.

You need to figure out urself because you know what you are using most of the time.

Only u can evaluate this

Posted via Android Central App

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Turning on the limit CPU performance and screen output makes the phone laggy in some situations = fail.

I followed a lot of advice on here for conserving battery at the end of it all it just made things worse, or made the experience of using the phone worse.

If you have the screen on for prolonged periods its gonna drain the battery, period. Just enjoy the phone as it is, charge it when you need to and don't worry about it.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Turning on the limit CPU performance and screen output makes the phone laggy in some situations = fail.

I followed a lot of advice on here for conserving battery at the end of it all it just made things worse, or made the experience of using the phone worse.

If you have the screen on for prolonged periods its gonna drain the battery, period. Just enjoy the phone as it is, charge it when you need to and don't worry about it.
I agree that the needs of extensive battery life and overall enjoyment (often) need to be better balanced. Too often we pursue superhuman battery life at the expense of simply enjoying what our phones are capable of. Having said that I find that using Green Power significantly improves battery life while having essentially no impact on usability and enjoyment.

mhaiderk97

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I use my phone for playing HD games (Fifa, Asphalt etc) as well as social networking and Web browsing and flipboard along with emails and forums etc. My total screen time is around 4 hours after which battery drops to the 40-50% mark. I then charge it unless I'm away from an outlet. I'd say my phone gets away with around 8 hours of intense usage with its screen on.

mhaiderk97

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
So..ive read all the posts regarding battery drain.. i researched a lot.. i closed all the sync data and restricted background data.. brightness is at around 25%..and im comfortable with the brightness..now im uploading the battery usage stats to see if any expert can explain the issues here...i mean im aiming for a day and a half .. its giving me around 20 hours..
View attachment 130388
View attachment 130389
View attachment 130390
View attachment 130391
View attachment 130405
View attachment 130401
View attachment 130402
View attachment 130403
View attachment 130403
View attachment 130404

You could try clearing the phones cache partition. No I'm not talking about clearing app caches. Power off your S5 and pull out the battery if it's overheating as well. Wait for 30 seconds or so and put it back in.
Now do the following:
1. Press the volume up button + home button + power button. Hold this until the phone boots up into recovery mode or whatever it's called.
2. Navigate to "Clear Cache Partition" by using the volume up and down keys and press the power key or the home key (I don't remember which one) to confirm your selection. It takes 3 seconds at most.
3. Navigate to the top of the list and select "reboot"

This helped solve my overheating problem as well as unnecessary battery drain problem. Hope it helps.

charlee08

Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Settings I turn off to conserve battery:

-Location reporting
-Sync
-Vibrate
-Uncheck search for wifi even when wifi is off
-Usage data reporting by apps is off
-I use auto brightness
-Turn off apps you don't use

Those basic things will improve battery life tremendously IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App

mhaiderk97

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Settings I turn off to conserve battery:

-Location reporting
-Sync
-Vibrate
-Uncheck search for wifi even when wifi is off
-Usage data reporting by apps is off
-I use auto brightness
-Turn off apps you don't use

Those basic things will improve battery life tremendously IMO.

Posted via the Android Central App
How long does it take for your battery to go flat with this configuration? And how much time do you reckon you spend with the screen on?

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

Great advice .... if you need more battery spend a bit on a spare battery and charger and go from there. Not to say you shouldn't conserve but you spent big bucks on this device ... spend a bit more and enjoy it to its fullest.

I installed Battery Guru and I let that help me conserve.

Enjoy the day ....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Shams H

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I bought the S5 a while ago, and since then I tried all methods and tricks of power saving but still the battery drains very fast !
I have to charge it twice and sometimes three times per day ! here are my latest status
I have all connections turned off except WiFi, Screen brightness to lowest, screen time is 1h 50m

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-04-17-53-39.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-08-04-17-53-39.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 38

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I bought the S5 a while ago, and since then I tried all methods and tricks of power saving but still the battery drains very fast !
I have to charge it twice and sometimes three times per day ! here are my latest status
I have all connections turned off except WiFi, Screen brightness to lowest, screen time is 1h 50m

Does your phone overheats

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site

Does your phone overheats

bbmjack

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Same as my model but mine does not drain battery it just warms I prefer turn off GPS and GOOGLE+

bIOforger

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
I was messing about with Green power and battery guru today, uninstalling/reinstalling and such like. At one point when i restarted my phone it dropped 10% charge instantly! then it started to overheat and drained 1% battery every few mins! I gave up and uninstalled all the battery apps in the end and bought another new battery as a backup :)