[GINGERBREAD][EL30] Official EL30 Gingerbread Samsung Epic 4g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
[INFO]Gingerbread EL30 for the Samsung Epic 4g.

[NOTE]
  • Update to version S:D700.0.5S.EL30
  • Security update
  • Speaker feedback fix
  • The QIK and Asphalt 5 applications are no longer preloaded. When opening the applications using the application icon, you will be redirected to the Android market to download and install the full application.
  • After the QIK install, you will need to login using your original account information or create a new account. All contacts should remain intact
  • After the Asphalt 5 install, previous game play data (eg. levels) will not be retained.
[/NOTE]

[INFO]Manual update method direct download link (Note you must currently be on EI22 UNROOTED for this to work)

1. Download the file
2. Rename the file to "update.zip" ** Window users careful it doesn't get named update.zip.zip
3. Place it on the root directory of your sdcard
4. Boot into stock recovery (Press and Hold Volume Down+Camera+Power)
4a. You navigate stock recovery using your volume up/down and make selections with the HOME key.
5. apply update.zip
6. Boot into Gingerbread![/INFO]

[TIP]I need a screenshot of the About Phone screen. Anyone that can drop me a screenshot I will post it here as we always have in the past with credit. Thanks.[/TIP][/INFO]

Last edited:

rando991

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Quick update, I have installed the EL30 update after going back to stock EC05>EI22 (need to flash the EC05 Tar in Odin, then apply the above procedures). Here is what I have observed about EL30 (I have not applied any other fixes nor rooted yet):
-The upside down horizontal calibration for compass is fixed
-Keyboard lag is gone
-GPS improved from locking only 4 satellites to 6-7 (the GPS Fix can allow more, upto 12 under best of conditions), so I think this made be good enough, but balancing power for battery consumption.
-"Android System" service aka CIQ is definitely gone.
-Haven't experienced speaker feedback squeal yet, although I did on EI22 after I had used voicemail and google voice search.

Reactions: Paul627g

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted about a month ago for the first, so I'm very new to this....

I had a question regarding this update. Now I know you have to go back to EC05 and then to EI22 and then install this update. It's not difficult after having done it a few times...My question is will I still have CM7 after this update or will it be gone? AND will the EI22 roms, specifically MIUI, still work for this new EL30 update?

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I just rooted about a month ago for the first, so I'm very new to this....

I had a question regarding this update. Now I know you have to go back to EC05 and then to EI22 and then install this update. It's not difficult after having done it a few times...My question is will I still have CM7 after this update or will it be gone? AND will the EI22 roms, specifically MIUI, still work for this new EL30 update?

If you're planning on staying with CM7, you may want to just wait for someone to post up the modem update. CM7 and MIUI are full roms, and will replace EL30 once installed. Your modem (firmware level) is the only thing that isn't changing.

So yes, CM7 and MIUI as well as any EI22 or earlier based roms will work just fine with the updated firmware.

eharty

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have input about the EL30 modem yet...performance better or worse?

I'm pretty happy alternating between CM7 and CleanGB MTD but would gladly Odin back to stock to get an improved modem.

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Just got it this morning. Voice call and voice mail broken. When a call comes in, I would get the force close on com.android.com. Once I choose force close, I can see the radio resetting. Voice mail won't automatically play. I can mute and trash, but the play/pause button is grayed out. I did a battery pull and still same problem.

This is the first time I've had OTA problem and have never rooted it. If I have to do a factory reset, I might as well root and flash. :-\

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just got it this morning. Voice call and voice mail broken. When a call comes in, I would get the force close on com.android.com. Once I choose force close, I can see the radio resetting. Voice mail won't automatically play. I can mute and trash, but the play/pause button is grayed out. I did a battery pull and still same problem.

This is the first time I've had OTA problem and have never rooted it. If I have to do a factory reset, I might as well root and flash. :-\
Looks like as much as things attempt to change they still stay the same...

Darn Sammy & Sprint... I still continue to support this device just kills me how they keep dropping the ball on OTA problem...

bladeap

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If you're planning on staying with CM7, you may want to just wait for someone to post up the modem update. CM7 and MIUI are full roms, and will replace EL30 once installed. Your modem (firmware level) is the only thing that isn't changing.

So yes, CM7 and MIUI as well as any EI22 or earlier based roms will work just fine with the updated firmware.

Thanks, that makes sense. So when they release new the modem update, I would just have to update the ROM like normal?

IamDatDude

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I received the OTA but the install failed and the manual update is failing as well.

I'm not rooted but I did apply the GPS fix. I guess that's causing the problem?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I received the OTA but the install failed and the manual update is failing as well.

I'm not rooted but I did apply the GPS fix. I guess that's causing the problem?
What is the GPS fix for non rooted devices? Forgive me its been a while since I had my Epic 4g.

chris.moses

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Ran the manual update. Has anyone else noticed that wallpaper no longer scrolls when you change screens but is 'stuck' with the center of the wallpaper pic? I've tried changing wallpapers and using the built in offerings but they all behave the same way. :(

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

cm7 does not include a modem. You must flash back to BML stock, update modem, and return to cm7.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

koboldfactotum

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I had my phone notifying me about this update just as I was getting ready to root it from EI22, can I still use the same methods to root it after this update, or should I wait to root? I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing; good with computers, but totally new to the Android scene. Sorry for stupid newbie questions, haha.

IamDatDude

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
What is the GPS fix for non rooted devices? Forgive me its been a while since I had my Epic 4g.

It was simply using the gps stuff from another Galaxy S phone and using Odin and CWM to apply the file. I'm sorry for the basic answer but I try not to get too involved in rooting and that's the best description I can give. lol

Thanks! I'll check that out. I'm still worried about updating, though, seeing the problems others are having with calls and VM.

Last edited:

werkx

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Okay, I'm looking to root and go with CM7, but I'm seeing posts about flashing modem?

I thought CM7 was the be-all-end-all. Guess I'm a bit behind, can someone point me in the right direction?

I'm looking for direction to a stable root/ROM (don't have time to flash update every week). One that will give me good radio, including WiMAX, able to tether my tablet to it (over WiMAX would be great, too), good GPS, no bloat and yes, working voice call and voice mail. I thought CM7 was it, but now...

Thanks.

daehttub

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. Was going to apply the non-root GPS fix for my stock GB phone. Reading the posts about the EL30 update bugs I think the lesson is not to be the first to update. I updated to GB when I first received the OTA and it trashed my phone. After flashing it back to Froyo at the Sprint store and waiting until last week to try the 2.3.5 GB OTA again, it's finally working properly (except for the GPS).

I think I'll hold off on the GPS fix and ignore the EL30 update until I see more people on this board reporting a clean EL30 update. I guess there is a "bleeding edge" in the Android world too...

Good luck to those of you taking point on the EL30 update. I'll just hang back on this one (can't find a chicken emoticon).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia