Go to a Verizon store? Post your thoughts here!

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
The bootloader being locked doesn't keep you from activating developer mode, any phone can do that, bootloader locked or not. The only phone I've ever had with an unlocked bootloader is the 6p, and every phone I've owned I've activated developer mode.

I would say it has something to do with it being locked in demo mode, so customers can't mess with the settings or possibly screw something up (in Verizon's eyes anyway).

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant when I tried to activate developer mode, it stopped me from getting there with the demo mode only message. Had I got it to developer mode, I wanted to see if it has an OEM unlocking toggle, like my 6P. I figure until Verizon Pixel 2 units arrive on customer's hands, that toggle (or lack of it) would prove if it allows for bootloader unlocking.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You can take it out of demo without going to developer mode

I wanted to get to developer mode. How do you get it out of demo mode then? Could I have gone to apps, and look for a "demo" app to disable? I want to, uh, test this the next time I go to a Verizon store. :D

leetrevor81

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Just checked the Pixel 2 XL at the Verizon store. The smaller Pixel does seem to have better quality screen but the the bezels look bigger than last year

Pixel 2 XL looks little goofy, definitely not the best looking from front. Feel was fine and agree doesn't look or feel like a $1000 phone but I'm buying for the best camera and software experience. May be next year they nail the look portion as well.

GSM arena specs have pixel 2 screen to body ratio 67.9% and the original 69.0% so yep bezels are a little bigger. Iphone 8 screen to body ratio however is 65.4% so at least it is better than Iphone :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
GSM arena specs have pixel 2 screen to body ratio 67.9% and the original 69.0% so yep bezels are a little bigger. Iphone 8 screen to body ratio however is 65.4% so at least it is better than Iphone :)
Think the display is a little smaller. 4.97" instead of 5.0".

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
Think the display is a little smaller. 4.97" instead of 5.0".
Assuming that the original was exactly 5.0" - generally the diagonal measurements are rounded, so I don't trust fraction of a percent differences unless I have a very good source. However, the Pixel 2 is 1.9mm taller (1.3%), 0.2mm wider (0.3%) and has squarer corners, so for certain the area of the front is more than 1.6% larger, which would completely account for that difference in screen to body ratios.

The truth is that I think GSMArena just calculate screen to body ratios by treating both body and screen as simple rectangles, ignoring the real shape of the phone. Certainly if I make that approximation and use their dimensions I get exactly the ratios they claim for the Pixel and Pixel 2. Since the phones are not just rectangles (rounded corners, more so on the first gen Pixel) this calculation is certainly not accurate to 0.1%, which means they deserve to be marked-down for quoting results to a higher precision than the methodology would justify ;).

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
All you had to do was get a screen protector to offset the HTC 10 issue the blue tint won't be that simple... Maybe it won't be in the handsets shipped and people are blowing this out of proportion

I tried several screen protectors and they all made screen look bad in normal conditions to my eye. Maybe I didn't find the best options. Probably could have kept shopping, but lost interest and put up with problem while wearing sunglasses.

If I get my XL2 and the blue tint is unacceptable, I'll exchange it for regular Pixel 2 and pocket $200.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant when I tried to activate developer mode, it stopped me from getting there with the demo mode only message. Had I got it to developer mode, I wanted to see if it has an OEM unlocking toggle, like my 6P. I figure until Verizon Pixel 2 units arrive on customer's hands, that toggle (or lack of it) would prove if it allows for bootloader unlocking.
Someone on either reddit or xda posted pix of a Verizon demo model that he says he factory reset to get at developer options. One of the pix he posted did show "OEM Unlocking" grayed out.

It was xda, post #65 :

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-2-xl/help/pixel-2-xl-screen-quality-t3686364/page7

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
I tried several screen protectors and they all made screen look bad in normal conditions to my eye. Maybe I didn't find the best options. Probably could have kept shopping, but lost interest and put up with problem while wearing sunglasses.

If I get my XL2 and the blue tint is unacceptable, I'll exchange it for regular Pixel 2 and pocket $200.

Genius idea.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

Well it's too late now bc you're getting a new phone but next time just look through the forum I've seen people say which screen protectors worked for them... But good luck with your pixel

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I went yesterday, and I was shocked at how cheap the 2 XL felt in my hand, particularly when comparing it to the OG Pixel XL right next to it. It honestly felt like I was holding a plastic toy at the back, whereas the OG XL had that cool to the touch metal, and that reassuring bit of heft to it. [...]
The OG XL is actually 1/4 oz lighter than the 2 XL.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
The OG XL is actually 1/4 oz lighter than the 2 XL.

That being the case, I don't know why I found the phone to be tacky and hollow feeling in hand. Whatever, a case would obviously remedy that. I'm more concerned with screen quality and outdoor brightness, sound quality and battery life. My purchase is pending upcoming reviews.

Flexia

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Stopped by to take a gander at it today. My first impression was that it felt different. I'm used to alluminum on the first XL and am using the 6p now. It didn't feel cheap though. And after a bit of playing with it I liked the feel. It wasn't slippery like the devices I'm used to. Screen looks good to me. And yes when I tilted the device it had a blue hue to it. But I'll never be looking at a phone in my own hand at those angles so it's fine by be. I'm looking forward to being able to see the screen with polarized glasses on. And the speaker got super loud and clear. Better then my 6p for sure. The only thing I'm unsure of is the roundness of the phone. But all the flagships have that new and old get used to it. I really did like the chamfers on the sides of the first Pixel XL and the Note 4 aluminum sides. I'll be keeping my pre order for the panda. And really looking forward to it even more after looking at the store demo.