Goin back...

dbrides

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to go back to ics ...cant take this battery drain from j.b....not rooted...plain ol stock phone

sent from my badazz sammy s3...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Take a screenshot of your battery graph. Also how long is your screen on?

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely.... There is a way to go back to ics but I am willing to bet that if you did, you would become so tired of the constant update notifications that you would be back on JB within a week.

There are so many things that cause battery drain. Always post a screenshot of both the main battery stats screenshot as well a screenshot of the screen on stats.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Here's your way back if you want to go this route. Once you update your phone there is only one way to go back as you can't simply remove the update. If indeed you want to go back you will have to do it with Odin. Here are the steps in detail on how to do this. It really is much easier than it seem. This method will take you all the way back to the original software version and once complete will prompt you to update on ever reboot until you have the current version. So make sure you stop letting to update when you get to LI3. With out further delay this is you way back to ICS:

Here's a one file one flash method to return to stock. This will return you phone to a

stock unrooted state without removing your apps or data. While you will need your drivers

and Odin desktop loaded, you will only be flashing a single file to your phone.

Drivers
Your Samsung Drivers MUST be installed correctly on your computer prior to continuing. You can install them by installing keis. Intalling Kies or Just the drivers alone Either way wait until the software installs completely before plugging your device into the computer. When you have completed driver installation, plug in your device. The computer should now tell you it is installing drivers click on the details and wait until there is a green check by all the drivers. Unplugging your device before it's complete will cause you problems.

Preparing Your Computer
You will need to download the following files to your desktop or notebook computer. Just click on the file names and that should download the file required. I would suggest you make a folder on your desktop and name it something like Root GS3 Odin 3.07 KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 After downloading the above files to your computer: 1. double click on the "Odin 3.07 zip". Copy the "Odin307" folder into your "UnRoot GS3" folder. 2. double click on the "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.zip" And Copy "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5 and the " SS_DL.dll" files to the UnRoot GS3 folder. In other words, extract the tar file from the zip and copy it to the UnRoot GS3 folder.

Using Odin
1. Open the "Odin307" folder and right click on "Odin3 v3.07.exe" and choose run as administrator. Odin will open. 2. place your phone into download mode. Turn off phone - press and hold volume down, home button and power button at the same time. When you see the warning push the volume up button to continue. 3. Plug your usb cord to your phone and computer and wait until you see any number and com in the com 4. Check the PDA block and browse to "KIES_HOME_L710VPALEN_L710SPRALEN_618049_REV03_user_low_ship.tar.md5" in your UnRoot GS3 Folder 5. Verify Auto Reboot is checked as well as F. Reset Time

When all this is setup Odin should look like this:

Odin.jpg

6. If everything looks like the picture, click on the start button in Odin.

Note: This is vary large file and make take up to 10 minutes to complete.

When the phone leaves download mod and starts to reboot you can remove the usb cord.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was just in this situation! The problem is NOT JB! The problem is corrupt files on your phone or SD card. I can guarantee you that you will still have battery drain even on ICS as long as those corrupt files are there!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I was just in this situation! The problem is NOT JB! The problem is corrupt files on your phone or SD card. I can guarantee you that you will still have battery drain even on ICS as long as those corrupt files are there!

Yes. He PM'ed me earlier and he is going to try his phone without the sd card installed.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes. He PM'ed me earlier and he is going to try his phone without the sd card installed.

I think whats happening here is that the upgrade to JB is causing app files to corrupt. The more apps you have on your phone, the more likely you are to have problems. This reminds me back when I would upgrade my windows OS. It was always better to do a clean install then just an upgrade because the files that worked on the old OS may conflict on the new OS. This, in my honest opinion, is why I believe people having these issues should be required to do a reset of the phone, not just a reformat of the SD card. It will clean up everything.

dbrides

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all for the input...its great that everyone here is willing to help....and waaaayy smarter than me....i took these this morning

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1352056625687.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352056625687.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 37
  • uploadfromtaptalk1352056647959.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1352056647959.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 37

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I think whats happening here is that the upgrade to JB is causing app files to corrupt. The more apps you have on your phone, the more likely you are to have problems. This reminds me back when I would upgrade my windows OS. It was always better to do a clean install then just an upgrade because the files that worked on the old OS may conflict on the new OS. This, in my honest opinion, is why I believe people having these issues should be required to do a reset of the phone, not just a reformat of the SD card. It will clean up everything.

I pretty much agree with you. I will not restore or back up data in most cases. But can understand peoples reluctance to reset everything. I do it all the time an can re-setup my phone very quickly. Some of the average users will not do a data reset the entire time they own their phone and then blame their issues on the phone. There is nothing on my phone that I can't afford to lose. All important things are backed up on google, my computer or my sd card. Relying on a phone for important un replaceable content is crazy.

BTW... Doing a factory reset will not clean up any bad files on your sd card. That is why I suggested removing the sd card. It eliminates his removable storage from the equation. I normally only suggest the factory reset when all other methods have failed.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for the input...its great that everyone here is willing to help....and waaaayy smarter than me....i took these this morning

He's got the media thing! Bad files on the SD card...

<< Sent from my SG3 using Tapatalk >>

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much agree with you. I will not restore or back up data in most cases. But can understand peoples reluctance to reset everything. I do it all the time an can re-setup my phone very quickly. Some of the average users will not do a data reset the entire time they own their phone and then blame their issues on the phone. There is nothing on my phone that I can't afford to lose. All important things are backed up on google, my computer or my sd card. Relying on a phone for important no replaceable content is crazy.

BTW... Doing a factory reset will not clean up any bad files on your sd card. That is why I suggested removing the sd card. It eliminates his removable storage from the equation. I normally only suggest the factory reset when all other methods have failed.

Agree, but didn't learn this until I lost important data many times. Just like with children, you can share your experience but some people have to learn the hard way. I used to be one such person but I am coming around... which is why I bug skunkape so much :)

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much agree with you. I will not restore or back up data in most cases. But can understand peoples reluctance to reset everything. I do it all the time an can re-setup my phone very quickly. Some of the average users will not do a data reset the entire time they own their phone and then blame their issues on the phone. There is nothing on my phone that I can't afford to lose. All important things are backed up on google, my computer or my sd card. Relying on a phone for important un replaceable content is crazy.

Absolutely with what I bolded and 100% agree with everything said!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Agree, but didn't learn this until I lost important data many times. Just like with children, you can share your experience but some people have to learn the hard way. I used to be one such person but I am coming around... which is why I bug skunkape so much :)

I think we all know this but Skunkape is a smart dude! :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Did removing your sd card, as I suggested before, eliminate that problem for you? Has your battery improved?

I reformatted my card, remember? I've been fine since.. battery is "eh" like it always was.. lol

dbrides

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
When you say bad files does that mean virus or just not compatible with j.b. ??

dbrides

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
....and if i take out my sd card what should i be keeping an eye on the media thing?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
....and if i take out my sd card what should i be keeping an eye on the media thing?

Take the card out and just watch your battery life. When you pull up the battery stats you probably won't see media as the first thing listed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Urdarlingisdead