Going from stock Eclair to JellyBean Costom ROM on GTi9000T (not like the other problem)

Groudie

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I've been reading tutorials about how to flash a custom rom. Most, if not all, of the tutorials I have seen so far have suggested that I make a CWM back-up in case of an emergency. My problem is that ROM manager does not support ?clair any more and I am fairly certain that even if I download an apk file and install it on my phone manually, I will brick my phone.

I've been using eclair since 2011 and I can't take it any more, honestly. Also, I started learning programming a month ago and plan to start a career in Android app development after I go to uni and graduate from a BA in software engineering. Flashing a rom has become more of a personal challenge for me. If I can do something as "simple" as flash a custom rom then I have no hope of being a developer!

1.Can I flash my phone without having CWM?

2.Given the circumstances, is it advisable for me to flash without cwm?

3. If I can flash without using CWM, will using the factory reset option will brick my phone?

4. How can I get jellybean on my phone in my predicament?

I am a total noob to all of this. I am familiar with some terms and their meanings such as root,nandroid etc but that's it. I also don't have the money to get a new phone now. So if a brick it, I'll be stuck using "normal" phone.

sorry for the typos...need to get to work!

atrain2324

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading tutorials about how to flash a custom rom. Most, if not all, of the tutorials I have seen so far have suggested that I make a CWM back-up in case of an emergency. My problem is that ROM manager does not support ?clair any more and I am fairly certain that even if I download an apk file and install it on my phone manually, I will brick my phone.

I've been using eclair since 2011 and I can't take it any more, honestly. Also, I started learning programming a month ago and plan to start a career in Android app development after I go to uni and graduate from a BA in software engineering. Flashing a rom has become more of a personal challenge for me. If I can do something as "simple" as flash a custom rom then I have no hope of being a developer!

1.Can I flash my phone without having CWM?

2.Given the circumstances, is it advisable for me to flash without cwm?

3. If I can flash without using CWM, will using the factory reset option will brick my phone?

4. How can I get jellybean on my phone in my predicament?

I am a total noob to all of this. I am familiar with some terms and their meanings such as root,nandroid etc but that's it. I also don't have the money to get a new phone now. So if a brick it, I'll be stuck using "normal" phone.

sorry for the typos...need to get to work!

1. You need some sort of recovery. Cannot flash without a custom recovery.
2. See above.
3. Once you install a custom recovery and then a custom ROM, under no circumstances can you use the phone's built in factory reset. Unless you like bricks.
4. Your Galaxy S has an official update to Gingerbread. You might want to step up to that first, play around with it a week or two so your existing hardware gets used to the step up. Then after that, you can step up to Jelly Bean 4.1. I believe this may prove useful?

Groudie

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
"unless you like bricks" hahaha... Had a laugh with that one.

Thanks for the response! It really helped. Last night I updated to Froyo and then Gingerbread 2.3.3

Now I want to root my phone but it can't find proper rooting instructions for my device. I heard of a program called Gingerroot but apparently OEMs caught on and it no longer works. In fact it soft bricks it. You know of any rooting method I can use?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
"unless you like bricks" hahaha... Had a laugh with that one.

Thanks for the response! It really helped. Last night I updated to Froyo and then Gingerbread 2.3.3

Now I want to root my phone but it can't find proper rooting instructions for my device. I heard of a program called Gingerroot but apparently OEMs caught on and it no longer works. In fact it soft bricks it. You know of any rooting method I can use?

You could try gingerbreak. Or perhaps convince someone to build you a program that uses zergrush.

I don't own the device or I would be able to help you. Plus I'm assuming you are running a windows pc. I run Linux so I can't test my applications for windows.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware