Google creates new free replacement program for damaged Nexus 5 phones

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
They replaced mine a few months ago after mine was dropping LTE. They put a hold on my credit card, shipped me the new one with a return label and i sent the old one back right away. They removed the charge before they even got the phone back. Didn't cost me a penny. Awesome service!

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I just called this morning on mine. Dropped out of my jacket pocket and fell about 1.5ft onto brick sidewalk. Bottom corner is broken glass and there are cracks on the rest of the screen.

They are sending me a refurb so the offer is still available.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Almost the same exact thing happened to me and they said they couldn't help me.

seancannonii

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Here's the TL;DR.
My wife dropped her N5 and destroyed the screen. I just got off the phone with Google support and they are sending us a replacement.

The Full Details
Here are a few details of how my call went for those curious. I started the call by saying that I had purchased 2 N5's from the Play store and that my wife had dropped hers and shattered the screen. The rep confirmed my account information. I told the rep that I had heard that Google was offering to replace phones and I wanted to see if that was true. I also told the rep that I wanted to see what my options were regardless of the promotion. He placed me on hold. A few minutes later, he came back and told me that he had to transfer me because he was having problems with his computer. No big deal.

The second Google rep had to confirm my info a second time and I explained what was going on. He told me that Google reviews issues like these on a case by case basis and that often they refer people to the manufacturer. However, he said that he was going to see what he could do for me. I was placed on hold for a few minutes. He returned and said that he was able to get us a replacement. Awesome. Within a few minutes I received an email with instructions, I ordered the replacement (with FREE next day shipping!), my account has a hold on it and I should be seeing the phone on Monday or Tuesday.

Seeing that not everyone has had success, I would say that it depends on who you are talking to. Perhaps it wouldn't hurt to try a second time and see if you can speak to a different rep. Also, I would highly suggest being super friendly as I think that may have helped in my case instead of demanding a replacement because I read it on the internet. :p Good luck to everyone!

y3000k

May 5, 2014
Visit site
This worked for me.

I called google last week and talked to a lady who ended up transferring me to the nexus department after I asked her if my phone was still under warranty. I told both reps I talked to that I dropped my phone and the screen shattered and now the touchscreen isn't working correctly. The Google rep asked me a few questions and then told me they would do a one time free replacement for me. I have my new phone and have sent the old phone back.

This only works if you purchased your phone from the Google play store, live in the united States and your phone is under warranty (1 year warranty).

Best of luck!

Dave

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I just learned these exceptions are only made if the phone is still under warranty. They referred me to LG when I called to report an issue with my phone randomly rebooting. LG wants me to send the phone in and they'll assess it and let me know the repair cost. I'll probably just go with another phone. Too bad because I was planning on sticking with this for another year.

y3000k

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Yes. There is a 1 year warranty. If your past the one year warranty you are out of luck. If your within the one year warranty I would call back and ask to speak with someone in the nexus customer service department.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pablomoises

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I?m not sure if this will be considered as "the program", but my N5 got bricked when doing OTA to 6.0, after some tries I called support (2 years in Europe), but I also have broken glass (although full operational). On 1st step they asked me to contact LG to repair glass and then ask support for the bicked, but on 2nd step, and after claiming that I was using phone everyday and not asking for glass repair, they decided to replace all device! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463