Google Nexus 6 What's the difference between skinned vs. stock Android?

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
re: What's the difference between skinned vs. stock Android?

I might need to open a separate thread to ask about "launchers". Let me take a shot: It sounds like an alternative to a skin, but since it doesn't involve rooting the skin and going to stock Android, I assume that the skin is technically still running, so the launcher actually adds more for the device to process, so while it might clean up the look of the OS to your liking, you are still bogging down the hardware with more to process. Is that an accurate interpretation?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I might need to open a separate thread to ask about "launchers". Let me take a shot: It sounds like an alternative to a skin, but since it doesn't involve rooting the skin and going to stock Android, I assume that the skin is technically still running, so the launcher actually adds more for the device to process, so while it might clean up the look of the OS to your liking, you are still bogging down the hardware with more to process. Is that an accurate interpretation?

Close. Basically all it does is replace your home screen and app drawer. The skin (Sense, TouchWiz, etc.) still runs in the background because those are more than just what you're seeing, but the launcher uses very little resources, so it won't noticeably affect the amount of processing going on. At least in TouchWiz's case, it'll run faster most of the time when on those screens (again, home and the app drawer).

deefster

Jul 22, 2014
Visit site
I've used Samsung's touchwiz, HTC sense, and native Google now on a nexus, and each has strengths and I've liked each in their own way. It sounds like a copout answer but it really does depend on personal preference. there are people here that very passionate about native android, but don't get too caught up in it. I've gone through phases where I liked lots of bling, but am currently going through a minimalist phase. You can change quite a bit about your look and feel with a new launcher regardless of the skin, and if you decide to root and unlock the bootloader, you can change just about everything. Keep in mind the carrier as well, as that combined with the maker of the handset determine how often you get updates.

FRoStYisGoD

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Sorry to keep peppering you with questions everyone, but what is it about stock Android (Moto, Nexus) that is superior to the skinned versions (LG, Samsung, HTC)? I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should, as a former iPhone user, go for a skin or for stock, and why? Are the skins sometimes better, easier to use? I know they tend to bog down speed a little, but I'm trying to figure out whether I would appreciate them or resent them.
It's all really personal preference. I prefer stock Android as it gets update faster, the phone operates faster, and I prefer the on screen buttons. There are alot more reason of course, but to me stock Android is so fluid I could never give that up.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site

I'm an iPhone user, since the iPhone 2, and I'm going to jump to Android for my upcoming purchase (contract ends October 2nd). I've been doing a ton of research and I'm getting more confused as I go. At first I had narrowed it down to the S5, G3, or M8, but I kept reading gripes about the (respectively) Samsung, LG and HTC skins and kept reading platitudes about "stock Android", which raises the possibility that I would include Moto X and Nexus 6 (if it's happening) into my consideration.

Questions:
1. How annoying are the skins, really to a non-power user (keeping in mind that I'm coming from iOS)?
2. How likely is the release of the (consensus "stock Android" superstar) Nexus 6 in 2014?
3. If you're me, coming from iOS, with a perfectly usable iPhone 5 and a contract up in October, do you jump in one of the flagships (S5, G3, M8) or hold out for the next Nexus (or the Moto X? or something else?)?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Skins looks boring and they lock down your phone.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

I've have had Samsung S3, HTC One (M7), and now Moto x

Samsung touchwize sucks. An annoyance to skins is bloatware that I cannot uninstall. Samsung Galaxy S3 had so many samsung apps I did not want. HTC sense is fast and attractive. I like HTC widgets. Stock android widgets suck, especially the calendar. However, the play store has several attractive widgets for free or low priced

I like Moto x because it is pretty much stock android with added moto software. I use active display, touchless control, assist, connect and the camera launch. I do not use moto migrate or spotlight. Another benefit to Nexus/Moto x is getting a carrier unlocked version at a lower price than non-contract HTC, Samgung, apple, LG, sony etc. No carrier bloatware such as att navigation...Oh and faster updates. HTC took too long to update and then you have to wait for at&t as well

For me:
Benefits of HTC features is Zoe, BoomSound, widgets, decent keyboard. Cons are blinkfeed
Benefits of Samsung Touchwiz none. Cons so much stuff I do not need/use and I disliked the keyboard on S3.

Some people like finger print sensor, heart rate monitor, dual cameras, knock on screen features, different fonts.

Different manufactures also provide different warranties and incentives (such as google drive space)

For me I love the affordability of the Moto X, features, and lack of bloatware.
My gf has the HTC one M8 and loves the screen, speakers, and camera.

The screen on the HTC is awesome and so are the speakers. I'm jealous of that lol. Camera isn't not big for me. I have a DSLR. Biggest factor for me was price since I have no contract and pay 30 bucks a month for my service.

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I've gone around in circles for two weeks researching this stuff and although I'm not a big photographer, the 4 MP camera in the HTC One M8 is a dealbreaker for me. Crazy that they would have such a (by all accounts) great phone with such an obvious and bothersome flaw.

I'm really down to the LG G3 (among the skinned phones) and the Nexus 6 (among stock Android) with Moto X (2014) still in the hunt (although my contract is up so I'm in a position to get a great phone without worrying too much about price and Nexus 6 seems to be expected to have better specs than the Moto X (2014)).

I just can't figure out if I'll find the G3 skin annoying or if I'll find it helpful. I'm switching from iPhone, but one reason I'm switching is that I find iOS boring at this point, and I'm not a power user who flips through screens like Rain Man so I'm guessing I won't be annoyed by the skin(?).

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

The most annoying for me is TouchWiz

My sister-in law and bro-in law got the G1 and G2. I couldn't stand those phones but they enjoy them. I doubt a skin will annoy you that much. You could pretty much disable and ignore some aspects. All phones will be able to access play store and get a new launcher or widgets. I like to check out phonedog's rankings. The htc one m8 is rated #1 by both critics and fans this week. They do it every week Smartphone Rankings | PhoneDog

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site

I've gone around in circles for two weeks researching this stuff and although I'm not a big photographer, the 4 MP camera in the HTC One M8 is a dealbreaker for me. Crazy that they would have such a (by all accounts) great phone with such an obvious and bothersome flaw.

I'm really down to the LG G3 (among the skinned phones) and the Nexus 6 (among stock Android) with Moto X (2014) still in the hunt (although my contract is up so I'm in a position to get a great phone without worrying too much about price and Nexus 6 seems to be expected to have better specs than the Moto X (2014)).

I just can't figure out if I'll find the G3 skin annoying or if I'll find it helpful. I'm switching from iPhone, but one reason I'm switching is that I find iOS boring at this point, and I'm not a power user who flips through screens like Rain Man so I'm guessing I won't be annoyed by the skin(?).

Hi there I just thought I would give you my 2 cents about your choices...

#1: IMO the phones you have narrowed it down to are all awesome (assuming nexus 6 will be awesome), so I don't believe you can go wrong with any route you choose. I just say this so that hopefully you don't stress too much over the differences when they all offer something great.

#2: Regarding rumored or expected Nexus 6 specs vs. the new Moto X, I think you could ask anyone who has used the 2013 Moto X and they will tell you, specs don't mean a thing with that phone. If you can, try not to compare spec to spec because in my brief time using it, it was awesome. My friends who own it love it. I think its safe to assume the next Moto X will be also as smooth and awesome if your cool with the size. Personally speaking it is very high on my list for my next phone.

#3: The LG G3 skin... here is where the beauty of android shines. If you find the skin annoying or just boring, wander on over to the play store and grab a launcher. I recommend Nova Prime, but there are many great choices. Plus, you mentioned the that you find iOS boring, the launcher options will give you the flexibility to change whatever you don't like. You can also get some pretty awesome icon packs to really make it look the way you want.

#4: If you do choose to wait for the Nexus 6, try and wait for Android Central to give their review. Or at least initial hands-on thoughts and impressions about it. They are very honest here about the phones they review and they give great insight.

Good luck!

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

If you looked at the results of the camera rather than just the specs, you'd probably change your opinion. It's easy to bash the camera without using it. Aside from that, it's probably the best low light camera on the smartphone market.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

I think you be happy with any of the 5 phones you mentioned. The skins are not nearly as obnoxious as they have been in the past. In fact they are barely noticeable.

I dislike the carrier bloat, more. That is to say carrier apps and branding. If your in a contract you can't avoid it.

I would go into a store and spend at least an hour comparing the S5,G3 and M8 and see which one you like.

The advantage of the Nexus is that it gets updates first. If you don't care about that...than you might want to cross it off your list.

Posted via Serenity

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Just when I think I'm out, they draaaaaag me back in... :)

I should start by saying that I know I'm overthinking this, but I have two weeks to decide and I'm enjoying the process of learning all about these Androids, so it's been fun (and thank you very much to everyone who has responded- I appreciate your time and input). I am experiencing a serious "first world problem": deciding between multiple awesome phones, and spending tons of my spare time doing research, but I find this unexpectedly fascinating.

Chex has hit upon another blind spot for me: the importance of quick updates. With my iPhones, recently the software updates have been really minor tweaks and bug fixes. Nothing really innovative has come that I can remember- hardware/iOS wise. The most significant one that I can remember in the last 3-4 years was Siri, and that was somewhat underwhelming (although I should probably get into using it more). Minor battery efficiency increases, a tweak here and there, etc., but nothing leaving me REALLY thankful for the latest update.

But Android users mention the (importance of) updates frequently. Based on my experience with iOS, maybe I had assumed that the operating systems (including Android) had plateaued to a certain extent, that really innovative changes were not occurring much anymore in the OS updates- what are your opinions on that? How big of a deal is it to wait 3 months for an Android update on an HTC/AT&T phone vs. getting it right away with a Nexus?

Thanks again in advance, and thank you all again for continuing my addiction to this information!

GSOAT

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

Oh, and to "I Can Be your Hero": I love the HTC in the abstract, but I have read a lot of reviews that essentially say that if you take a picture with the camera, it's fine as long as you don't zoom/crop, but if you do (and I admit I rarely do), it's pretty bad. It's not the worst thing that could happen (again, "first world problems"), but it is a chink in the armor for the HTC in my opinion, and if it weren't for that (and arguably the "stock Android" vs. Skins conundrum), I would be all over the HTC like stink on a monkey. I seem to find myself in the LG G3 (or Nexus 6? :-\) camp right now because, even though the LG Skin is supposed to be a little "worse" than the HTC Skin, the camera is much better. Also, while I LOVE the HTC build, I know I'm going to wrap that rascal (ahem) in a case when I get it anyway, which mitigates some of the appeal of the aluminum build. I'm not trying to cast aspersions at a great HTC phone; I'm just a little disappointed with their decision to stick with that camera (I'm an engineer, so it seems "illogical" to me). Thanks again for your input!

whalechan

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site

So can you guys point at the source of the HTC made Nexus rumours? I am quite pleased with the idea (as I am still rocking on an E51 and looking for a smartphone) of HTC making it.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Lol, stock android? More like stock Google.

Google skin is actually most battery inefficient, why else do you think Google's phone had worst battery life? Because it spend all the energy to be always awake so it can track you.

Everybody here seems to hate tw, guess what, I love it. It offers so many functions, even Google and apple is copying it.

@T-Mobile GN3

Last edited:

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

Your are correct about the M8 camera with the ability to zoom. The low light performance is truly amazing, but that's about it. If you try to zoom then say hello to pixels. That was my major gripe with the camera and the inconsistency of it. I have an s5 active now and while I'm not a huge fan of the phone the camera is actually pretty good. Example, I went for a hike over the weekend and ran into a moose so I took some pictures, however, I was a good distance away but after the fact I could zoom right up to it with little loss in quality.

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site

But Android users mention the (importance of) updates frequently. Based on my experience with iOS, maybe I had assumed that the operating systems (including Android) had plateaued to a certain extent, that really innovative changes were not occurring much anymore in the OS updates- what are your opinions on that? How big of a deal is it to wait 3 months for an Android update on an HTC/AT&T phone vs. getting it right away with a Nexus?

Thanks again in advance, and thank you all again for continuing my addiction to this information!
Unless your a tech addict like many of us. It truly means very little. Your phone will function perfectly well whether it gets the update quick or not. For functionality it just doesn't matter.

Its really just an OCD type of thing at this point.

For me I just want to have the latest update ASAP. It means more to me than tech specs. Its a user by user thing. I am in vehicle all day so battery life means very little to me, I also use a battery pack. If I need great pics I use my Cannon. I mean I laugh at anyone who thinks their phone takes great pics...Not compared to a real camera they don't. Frankly most folks do not print photo's out any more...So having them look great on screen is enough.
So its how you use your phone.

ced2334

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site

I've been using a launcher called themer lately and must say I'm quite impressed with it. Something for everyone with the homescreen themes that are available.

Posted via Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Google skin is actually most battery inefficient, why else do you think Google's phone had worst battery life?

When the NSA is connecting to the phone all the time, it generates hella wakelocks.

2300 mah, dude.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Vic Rivera

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

I need battery life on my device. I really dislike the fact that I have to charge my device in the middle of the day and all its doing is sitting either on my desk or in my pocket.

Phone junkie

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz