What's the difference between Android 11's Battery Optimization and Samsung's Optimize Battery Usage

VinnieHat

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone,

So I'm going over some more in depth features in my S21 Ultra and I noticed that I have 2 different battery optimization settings. I can't really seem to find a comparison online besides one is stock Android and the other is from Samsung. But how does it work on my phone? Which one takes priority, and if I need an app such as Tasker or something that can't be disabled, do I need to override it in both sections?

Thanks guys!

VinnieHat

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Can you show a screenshot ?
Sure! The first one I think is Samsung, and the second is stock android.
4f004d001c84c28e18ee0aec66535bcc.jpg
648f9b1c67ce726c6f625f8d14940760.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The Samsung has deeper battery optimization as you can put apps sleep manually or auto and the other just auto but not as deep sleep

stevetaz

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Not a tech guy here, but isn't the first one the Battery and Device Care > Battery > Background Usage Limits section that allows you to choose if apps that aren't used often to be put to sleep?

Your second screenshot appears to be from Apps > Select an App > Battery and displays settings from within each app allowing you to select what happens when that app is running. In your screenshot the settings displayed are for the 1Password app.

Seem to be two different functions to me. I would guess that if an app is put to sleep the app settings wouldn't matter. If you have an app you want to be sure never sleeps add it to the list of Never Sleep Apps.

If I am completely misunderstanding let me know. It wouldn't be my first time.