Gorilla glass

meany105

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
there doesn't seem to be a "specific" forum for this sort of thing, so i'm posting it in the most popular forum

There are a lot of videos showing what won't scratch gorilla glass. Knives, pens, pellet guns, none have succeeded. So, what does it take to scratch gorilla glass? There are a couple videos showing breakage, but i couldn't find any regarding scratches.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
there doesn't seem to be a "specific" forum for this sort of thing, so i'm posting it in the most popular forum

There are a lot of videos showing what won't scratch gorilla glass. Knives, pens, pellet guns, none have succeeded. So, what does it take to scratch gorilla glass? There are a couple videos showing breakage, but i couldn't find any regarding scratches.

I shattered my gg in my tailgate so I was playing with the remains. I had no problem scratching it with a philip screwdriver, albeit with A LOT of pressure. I'm sure my diamond-toothed saw blade would do it some serious justice.

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i scratched mine pulling it out of my pocket. The metal zipper on the coat pocket put a nice cut in it.

Now that I think about it. That was a CLN (certified like new) replacement phone. Do you think Verizon is putting GG on there certified like new phones???? I had my Samsung Fascinate for about a year, that had GG and I never got a scratch on it..................hmmmmmmm.

z71kris

What does that do?
Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I have two small scratches on mine from sometime....its annoying for sure

posted from my Infected Thunderbolt

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I dropped my TB on concrete a while back and did some serious damage to the housing (so much so that ordered parts and replaced it). I was shocked that the screen didn't chip, crack, or otherwise take damage. I haven't put a screen protector on it either. Good stuff this GG.

mman609

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My Gorilla glass screen scratched quickly going in and out of cloth pockets. No keys, no coins and no pens were involved. I'd say ignore the hype and get a good screen protector on before doing anything else.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
The thunderbolt does not have gorilla glass, look at the specs. GG is more scratch resistant then normal glass or plastic, however it can scratch and shatter. I work for corning inc. so this I know.

willis936

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
The thunderbolt does not have gorilla glass, look at the specs. GG is more scratch resistant then normal glass or plastic, however it can scratch and shatter. I work for corning inc. so this I know.

Straight out of internetland. "Experts who work for the company" don't seem to know the first thing they're talking about.

javadandy

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a Blackberry Storm, it had GG. It did not need a screen protector, and it was with my keys all of the time. No scratches at all. That old phone is beat up, but the screen is flawless. Flash forward to my TB. which has a screen protector on it...now. It was with my keys and started to scratch. It seems that the screen of the TB is almost...soft. Seriously, is it really - glass? Maybe a really hard plastic, like they use in eyeglasses - but without a scratch coat. :confused: So from now on, unless I see that a phone actually has Gorilla Glass, they will always have a screen protector. Otherwise it is a waste of money to let the screen get so beat up.

twindragons187

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Why does Corning say that it does?

CORNING? GORILLA? GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

good question, i do remember back when the bolt was just released, there was a write up on how htc used there own "new" glass instead of gg for the bolt. i'm sure if you look through the archives here on androidcentral, i'm sure it will turn up. my first bolt i had, i scratched the screen putting it in my pocket. the droid X that i had, i couldn't get the screen to scratch for nothing, i even tried with my knife. my wifes iphone4 screen has not scratched yet and its never had a screen protector on it.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Frankly, I don't care what kind of glass it has as I don't believe in relying on it to protect the phone. Too risky. Also, IMO, putting a phone in a pocket, even by itself, is asking for trouble as there are just too many potential things that can either rub against it while in the pocket or scratch it when you put it in or take it out. A screen protector may help, but it doesn't reduce the risk enough. Thus why I strongly believe in using a holster where the screen faces in. In my case, I use the Seidio Spring-clip holster. While its felt lined on the inside, the screen doesn't actually sit against the lining, instead the edge of the phone housing sits into the holster and keeps the screen from actually touching anything. It protects the phone quite well. Eight months now and the screen still looks as pristine as the day I got the phone. :)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The only phone that Verizon has that has the GG is the Motorola RAZR that I have heard of. I was never led to believe that the TBolt had the GG....wish it did. I think on my next phone, that will be the only MAJOR requirement for me. I am not super rough on my phone, but I have not yet met one person that have has never dropped there phone. If the GG gives that little extra protection from what would be a otherwise typcial drop that would crack other screens.....I am all in with the GG.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
The only phone that Verizon has that has the GG is the Motorola RAZR that I have heard of. I was never led to believe that the TBolt had the GG....wish it did. I think on my next phone, that will be the only MAJOR requirement for me. I am not super rough on my phone, but I have not yet met one person that have has never dropped there phone. If the GG gives that little extra protection from what would be a otherwise typcial drop that would crack other screens.....I am all in with the GG.

Plenty of Verizon devices have had GG prior to the Razr. I still think it's just an overrated buzzword but whatever floats your boat.

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I am not super rough on my phone, but I have not yet met one person that have has never dropped there phone.

I'm super careful with my phone. I've never dropped the Thunderbolt but the other day my boss dropped it. Lucky for him it was on carpet. It still hurt to see it fall out of his hands and land on the carpet. :-(

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm super careful with my phone. I've never dropped the Thunderbolt but the other day my boss dropped it. Lucky for him it was on carpet. It still hurt to see it fall out of his hands and land on the carpet. :-(

LOLOLOLOL.......I should have prefaced with "the OWNER" of the phone. My kids have gone through at least 2 phones (per new ones they get) for the last 7 years.....I have only gone through 2....my Samsung i760 and this TBolt (cracked glass).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick