[GUIDE] Guide to Unlocking & Rooting the HTC Rezound

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Custom Recovery & Rooting the HTC Rezound

Well I discovered one idiot move on my part but the end result was the same. I forgot to add the extension .zip to the file name. I received considerable more scrolling green script this time but it never stopped to get a "yes" from me. It went back to the HBOOT screen.

What to do now????

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Misc. Tools for the HTC Rezound

Oops. Quoted the wrong post but can't figure out how to delete this second msg. Sorry.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Only way to root now is to use a combination of Amon-Ra and superuser from the market.

Download and install Amon-Ra Custom Recovery
Reboot into recovery
Under the developer menu install Superuser
Reboot the phone normally
Download Superuser from the Android market
????
Profit

Reactions: Dugoutdog

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Only way to root now is to use a combination of Amon-Ra and superuser from the market.

Reboot into recovery
????
Profit

I'll try first thing in the morning. I just woke up and am now off to work.
Thanks.

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

Reboot into recovery
????
Profit

Well I did it this am. I downloaded the Latest version 3.14 of Amon-Ra recovery "recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img" from the XDA website. Compared your instructions and their's and they were virtually identical. After reboot I opened up my Titanium Backup Pro and I found myself rooted. I can't thank you enough for your help.

I'm going to likely install a custom ROM in the near future and I was wondering . . . there has been lots of talk around various forums that the Amon Ra was more stable and all around better (at this point anyway) than ClockWorkMod. I have ROM manager on my phone. Is there an Amon-Ra program like it or all ROM's installed through HBOOT? (that's a guess - remember I'm new to most all this.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Well I did it this am. I downloaded the Latest version 3.14 of Amon-Ra recovery "recovery-ra-vigor-3.14-gnm.img" from the XDA website. Compared your instructions and their's and they were virtually identical. After reboot I opened up my Titanium Backup Pro and I found myself rooted. I can't thank you enough for your help.

I'm going to likely install a custom ROM in the near future and I was wondering . . . there has been lots of talk around various forums that the Amon Ra was more stable and all around better (at this point anyway) than ClockWorkMod. I have ROM manager on my phone. Is there an Amon-Ra program like it or all ROM's installed through HBOOT? (that's a guess - remember I'm new to most all this.

Nope, CWM uses ROM Manager and there's no equivalent app for Amon-Ra. If you talk to Dovahkiin, he'll tell you that CWM is stable in it's current form. And it is. It just doesn't do the rooting bit you just went through. So feel free to flash the latest CWM but be aware that there are a few common complaints(not being able to initiate a backup, restore a backup due to md5 issues, not charging while the phone is off). As far as I know Dovahkiin has the whole shebang working without issue...

Dugoutdog

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Nope, CWM uses ROM Manager and there's no equivalent app for Amon-Ra. If you talk to Dovahkiin, he'll tell you that CWM is stable in it's current form. And it is. It just doesn't do the rooting bit you just went through. So feel free to flash the latest CWM but be aware that there are a few common complaints(not being able to initiate a backup, restore a backup due to md5 issues, not charging while the phone is off). As far as I know Dovahkiin has the whole shebang working without issue...

Sometimes I shouldn't think too hard when I get home from work. I referred to CWM and shouldn't have (it was a busy night at work - damn Apple iPads - I work for FedEx who moves all of Apple's stuff. Picture 17 53' long trailers full of iPads arriving for download, sort, and a flight . . . and that was only for the Rocky Mtn's west).
So I'll start again. I have ROM manager installed. Is it compatible with Amon Ra for downloading/installing ROMs? I assume if I flash a ClockWorkMod recovery it will replace Amon Ra with itself ?? If it does then how do you flash a recovery with Amon Ra?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes I shouldn't think too hard when I get home from work. I referred to CWM and shouldn't have (it was a busy night at work - damn Apple iPads - I work for FedEx who moves all of Apple's stuff. Picture 17 53' long trailers full of iPads arriving for download, sort, and a flight . . . and that was only for the Rocky Mtn's west).
So I'll start again. I have ROM manager installed. Is it compatible with Amon Ra for downloading/installing ROMs? I assume if I flash a ClockWorkMod recovery it will replace Amon Ra with itself ?? If it does then how do you flash a recovery with Amon Ra?

No worries.... No ROM Manager doesn't work with Amon Ra. Only CWM works with Amon Ra. If you want to flash CWM over Amon Ra simply get the latest CWM download, and flash it in HBOOT similar to the way you flashed Amon-Ra. It will overwrite the recovery partition with CWM and you can go on using ROM Manager.

cadjak

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this...I am thinking about taking advantage of the current Verizon deal for the Rezound. I would be coming from a rooted Droid X. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't root. The latest OTA for the Droid X prevents root and SBF. I didn't take it, so I am still good with the Droid X. My question is, has anything similar been done to the Rezound, I would hate to get one and find that root is not possible.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this...I am thinking about taking advantage of the current Verizon deal for the Rezound. I would be coming from a rooted Droid X. I can't imagine having a phone that I can't root. The latest OTA for the Droid X prevents root and SBF. I didn't take it, so I am still good with the Droid X. My question is, has anything similar been done to the Rezound, I would hate to get one and find that root is not possible.

Yes you can still root the Rezound. You have to unlock the phone via HTCDev.com but it's well worth it.

SirKnightDavid

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Started the process to root my Rezound tonight and was doing ok until I hit a snag..

I unlocked successfully using HTCDev
Grabbed the AmonRa recovery file and put it on the root of my external card, named appropriately
Booted to HBOOT
[snag] Main Version is older???

OK, what do I do now?

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Started the process to root my Rezound tonight and was doing ok until I hit a snag..

I unlocked successfully using HTCDev
Grabbed the AmonRa recovery file and put it on the root of my external card, named appropriately
Booted to HBOOT
[snag] Main Version is older???

OK, what do I do now?

I'lll add this to my FAQ. HTC Misctool [Tool to read/write main version] - xda-developers

The alternate is to flash it manually using fastboot as described here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/re...66392-guide-unlocking-rooting-roming-faq.html

Pdtate

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello. Having an issue flashing amon ra. I have unlocked my resound. When issuing the commands in command prompt it advises me not found. Used the Mr Smith how to guide and I verified that the files for Google dev are in my directory. Thinking about starting from scratch.

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello. Having an issue flashing amon ra. I have unlocked my resound. When issuing the commands in command prompt it advises me not found. Used the Mr Smith how to guide and I verified that the files for Google dev are in my directory. Thinking about starting from scratch.

I'm certainly not an expert with command prompts but it sounds like maybe your not in the right directory.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

"Command Not Found" errors typically mean you're not in the right directory. if you type dir in a command prompt you should see the file(s) you're referencing.
You have two options.

Change directory to wherever your command files are:

Code:
cd \androidsdk\platform-tools
fastboot flash recovery <path to>\recovery.img

OR
Reference everything by path

Code:
c:\androidsdk\platform-tools\fastboot.exe flash recovery <path to>\recovery.img

In either case, change <path to>\recovery.img to where your amon ra img file is.