Help! Cannot turn off text-to-speech after updating to Jelly Bean on Epic 4g Touch

solemnservant

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi i upgraded to the latest software jellybean yesterday and the installation process worked smoothly. However, now when I swipe through pages the speech output says the page number I am on and the available pages. I have tried uninstalling random things but it still does it. Driving mode is off by the way. Any suggestions/solutions? I would appreciate the help?

Stryke_the_Orc

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi i upgraded to the latest software jellybean yesterday and the installation process worked smoothly. However, now when I swipe through pages the speech output says the page number I am on and the available pages. I have tried uninstalling random things but it still does it. Driving mode is off by the way. Any suggestions/solutions? I would appreciate the help?

Go to accessibility and turn off talkback

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

Stryke_the_Orc

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Has this persisted through a reboot? I'd try that first. Or turn driving mode on then off again and see if it still does it. A factory reset is still pretty risky.

Slithering from the nether regions of a twisted mind and tarnished soul

paulgallaher

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded to Jelly Bean as well and have the same talkback issue on my Epic Touch 4G.

Short of turning off all sound under accessibility, nothing seemed to kill the annoying talkback about what home page I'm on or what application page I'm on.

Go to Settings;Accessability;Services and turn off each of the Apps shown. If you leave even one on the talkback will continue.

For more info, See:

http://www.folioflow.com/lightflow/samsung.html

Last edited:

john whitehead

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem - turning off text to speech doesn't work.
What did the trick for me was the following path: settings/apps/all. Scroll down to Google text-to-speech engine and click. Select disable.
It doesn't get lost but goes to the bottom of the list, ready to be enabled again if ever required. :)

grozini92

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Ty !! Wow that was so annoying.
That guide is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

That guide is awesome

- - - Updated - - -

That guide is awesome

cncarey

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Thank you very, very much - it worked for me on a LG Optimus G Pro. UPDATE- Started having the same problem again. Tried what "sunspot30" said in above post and found out it 'was' NoLED that caused the problem. Turned off NoLED and problem went away. I turned NoLED back on and at least for now the problem has not returned.

Last edited:

Michi Risang

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
i cannot unlock my htc one x plush...when i press unlock button its says the time....and when i press volume its again say the volume level...please help me to unlock my phone..i did something on setting but i dnt rememmber ...its was something like that turn on the talking something like that please help me :(

Miyamdad Khaja

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Me too came across the same problem but successfully resolved it..
Try to Double tap on Unlock Ring and try to drag it..
Then go to Setting->Accessibility then disable Talk back option.

Regards,
Miyamdad

John Smith90

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
My issue was I couldn't scroll down to settings/accessibility! Finally found out about the double thumb scroll. A thumb on each side allows you to scroll down to the accessibility area. FINALLY got that POS shut off!

Russelljuan

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it worked for me: "Settings, Accessibility,Services...then turn off, in my case both TalkBack & McAfee Innovations. This stopped the annoying voice mentioning each
page, ie " 1of 6, 2of 6 etc."each time I swiped. Thank you.

Shashank Sharma2

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
I also had this same issue... and I got it resolved by doing this.

If you have AirDroid installed, then goto SETTINGS >> ACCESSIBILITY >> AIRDROID MIRROR turn off. That's it :)

Jed Mitchener

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I also had this same issue... and I got it resolved by doing this.

If you have AirDroid installed, then goto SETTINGS >> ACCESSIBILITY >> AIRDROID MIRROR turn off. That's it :)

Yeah, I also had this problem which started only a few weeks ago...way after the Jelly Bean update. I suspected that an app was responsble, but couldn't remember which one. AIRDROID is the culprit!

Your advice now protects me from unwittingly announcing my typed-in searches for "Asian chicks with hot <insert body part here>" while riding a crowded public transportation system around Incheon, South Korea.

(Just kidding...but it's possible!)

Jack Noir

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me for asking this in a Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch thead, it is about the TalkBack in Android phones that is the main subject in my post here. Got myself a second Android phone (after my HTC Evo 3D got snatched), this time a Lenovo A369i and my Google account reinstalls of the previous apps into this second phone including AppLock.

Prob is that activating TalkBack causes the apps that I had locked with AppLock become unlockable due to the Accessibility feature provided by TalkBack made it impossible for me to key-in my pin code! Yup, including my phone's Settings.

In this case, how to re-disable TalkBack when I can't even unlock Settings to change the accessibility option?

Update: Got it solved. So can this post be deleted, Mods/Admins?

Last edited: