Help !! Galaxy S3 Freezing every few minutes. unresponsive.

rynlpin

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Well another day another question.

After becoming increasingly dejected about the freezing issue, I noticed last night that my phone had started behaving itself. I had done nothing except update the Google Now app. I charged the phone fully with no after effects i.e. freezing. The phone has definitely re-booted a couple of times because the uptime changes but the alarm worked this morning after leaving the phone by my bed for the night. I have been able receive e-mails, texts etc. One major thing I have noticed that fills me with confidence ... the Android OS is now taking up only 3% of my battery. Coincidence?

Lucky you. No change here for me.

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Spoke to soon. I do think that the latest freeze may have given me a clue as to what is causing this. I first noticed my phone misbehaving when I looked at my gallery and a number of pictures from facebook did not appear as usual. Today I was on facebook and it took a long time to update and also the little GPS symbol in the notification bar stayed on for quite a while. I remembered that this was also the case when I really noticed the phone freezing a lot. In conclusion, although I'm no expert, I think facebook may be the cause. I also noticed that the Android System is using a larger percentage of the battery than it was when I thought the phone was behaving. I think this may be a symptom rather than the cause of the problems.

Chinedu Umeh

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
For those of you that are rooted, downloading fstrim and running it will fix the problem, I recommend installing the premium version and scheduling fstrim to run every 12 hours

Craig Rogers

Banned
Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had this problem with freezing, but certainly not to that extent. I'm running android 4.1.1 updated through Kies. It seems like a software problem because it also happens in safe mode. Alert Samsung and let them work it out. It doesn't seem to be happening with any other phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
New Firmware available on Kies (I9300XXEMB1) according to a few on the XDA Forums who have installed it, stops all freezes and lagging.

Haven't had chance to install yet but will try when I get home.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Yes it's showing on my software update widget on my phone too but I haven't updated yet. My phone has been behaving for the past few weeks so I'm kinda scared.

Will you put your comments when you've updated yours please? :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll put my comments up. However I believe I had actually cured my phone already. There was a remedy on XDA stating that the problem was something to do with the memory and that by filling the memory up using an app that created dummy files, you could overwrite all the bad bits of memory and cure them. It took me a while to complete but since doing it my phone has been stable and has had no crashes or freezes for over 24 hours.

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
After this update the phone is faster. No lag at all. Let's see if the freezing problem comes up again.

Maybe they listened to us.

Any comments anyone? Have you updated yet?

standog100

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem... I did a factory reset but it still didn't help... I read a tread where someone suggest u just leave the phone to sort itself out... ( don't power down or pull battery.) I did that for about 3 days ..long story short.. My s3 has stopped freezing and its now running smoothly...

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, just connected the phone to Kies. Nothing. Says latest firmware is installed.

Same with the OTA when I check.

I am in Germany. Don't know if that matters.

Yes it's showing on my software update widget on my phone too but I haven't updated yet. My phone has been behaving for the past few weeks so I'm kinda scared.

Will you put your comments when you've updated yours please? :eek:

tricia.dawn.williams

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
That's because updates are not distributed at the same time. It's normal. Just wait a couple of weeks.

However I'm happy to report that since this update my phone has stabilised a lot and it's very responsive when I try to open apps.

I'm glad I waited and didn't send it in for repairs. It was a software issue after all. I think I'll leave a nice message on Samsung UK wall.

BaWBarmy

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Updated my phone last night. It's a long drawn out process using KIES, or at least it is on my PC with everyone else in the house using the internet. It was worth it though. Phone is stable 12 hours later. Definitely quicker and smoother than before. I noticed a couple of apps have been added Play Magazines and Play Music to go along with Play Books and Play Movies which I ignore already.

I too am glad that I didn't send my phone off for repair and although panicky and annoyed, I waited. I'm back to being a happy so and so now my beautiful S3 is performing normally again.

PS The update is only available in the UK and Germany as far as I know and only for unbranded/unlocked phones at the moment

Jerome10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
PS The update is only available in the UK and Germany as far as I know and only for unbranded/unlocked phones at the moment

I don't think this is correct. I am in Germany, unbranded/unlocked phone that I purchased in Germany and no updates released.

Hoping it will come soon though, because I am still dealing with this mess.

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
To sort this freezing problem out....until Samsung does a fix or post a revised version of the awful Mr Bean update try this.I have tested it all day and no problemo!!
The Galaxy pre this update could handle multi tasks. NOW THE MEMORY CANT HANDLE MULTI TASKS??
Settings/developer options/limit background processes. I set my phone to 2.
B4 I did this I had 23 processes working.The phone now seems to work faster

Hope this helps. 1-2-1 driving school.

stanoislav

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have no answers, but want to provide information from my experience just in case it gives additional clues:
1. I have a Singapore phone. In general I update the firmware quite often, usually after the new one is posted on [Stock Official Firmwares] I9300XXEMR2 (4.1.2) - Germany (VD2) [07-02-13] - xda-developers. I always use Mobile Odin.
2. I was on I9300XXELL5 / Germany without any problems.
3. I've upgraded I9300XXELLA / UK and the freezing started. I lived with it for few days (pulling battery, rebooting, uninstalling applications, changing settings)
4. I've upgraded to I9300XXELLC / Spain without any improvements.
5. I've downgraded back to I9300XXELL5 / Germany. The freezing DID NOT stop immediately. It stopped after few days. I was on this build for 4 weeks without any freezing.
6. A week ago I've upgraded to I9300XXEMA2 / Singapore. The freezing came immediately back. I lived with it for half a day and then downgraded back to I9300XXELL5 / Germany. Again the freezing didn't stop immediately. But it stopped after a day or so. Now again I have a freezing-free phone.

Now I'm stuck with I9300XXELL5 / Germany but very happy with no freezing. For those of you that have no other options try the same firmware, give it few days - and maybe you will have the same good results. You won't be on the latest, but you will have a usable phone.

Upgraded to I9300XXEMB1, no freezing so far. Fingers crossed.

Lukus Lockus

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I am having the very same issues. Constant freezing.

Non Branded German Phone. 4.1.2 Update when it was released over the air. No problems till yesterday. Now the phone pretty much is useless.
I tried to disable the animations in the debug settings like some people suggested. No change. Please post here if you have any news on this.

Luke

fzarnegar

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Is something fishy gouging on? Because I had this lagging and freezing problem started for no reason last time....I rebooted, powered off, removed the battery several times, even changed the battery with a new set (because it was over heating...I have still the same problem, the battery get over heated and drain very fast because of over processing), flashed out the phone and restored from my SD card, did factory reset...but no result...however if the new update is going to help that is fine I will wait....but why it just happen with no reason suddenly last week...The funny things is that today morning one of my friend called me and he said that he had the same lagging and freezing problem? Is it not strange?