How bad is the LG V30 display

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I think the screen on my V30 looks fantastic! I can replicate a little bit of the banding and splotchiness when I turn the brightness way down and look at a white or gray only screen, but that's simply not how I use my phone. In the past 5 days of actually using mine (indoors, outdoors, in a dark room in bed, etc) I have never once noticed any "problems" at all. I actually prefer the cooler bluish hue of the screen to that of my Pixel's warmer yellow tones. Just my thoughts - happy Sunday all!

willypguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
That's weird, there is no AT&T stores in the NYC area that have them. I had to return two because of the screen. I am looking for an October manufactured silver V30 on AT&T.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Love my V30's screen... I did prefer the V20's for the whites but when I compared my LG to my sons S7 plus, I felt my V30 was a little better.
Also depends on how you have screen set up, too.

Lateck,

Steve Tyburski1

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
That's weird, there is no AT&T stores in the NYC area that have them. I had to return two because of the screen. I am looking for an October manufactured silver V30 on AT&T.

Funny thing is Brandon (at&t sales person) said it was the first V30 he sold. Bought it on the 21st. They didnt even have a display model out.

barondebxl

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I saw the display.The OLED screen of the V30 is just bad. There’s no dodging this issue, and there’s no making excuses for it. This isn’t a good display, and if your phone doesn’t have a good display it might as well be a Nokia 5110

What are your thoughts about it?

Lol you could have at least been original. Shame on you. And the display is nowherr near as bad as you make it out to be

Blueprintsrecords

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I just opened 2 T-Mobile V 30's. I did the screen tests and mine are beautiful. There may be some bad handsets out there but mine are stellar. I was very worried and prepared to return them but so far I love the screen.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I have had my V30 for one week. The manufacture date is 10/10/17 and the screen is perfect! Zero banding, burn in or blotchiness (is that a word?). I still have my V20 and the screen on the V30 is such a step above in my opinion. I know a lot of people have said that the Pixel 2XL has the same screen as the V30, but I am starting to doubt that. I saw both in a Verizon store and they look nothing alike. My uninformed opinion is that LG may built the screen for the Pixel to Googles specs, not that it matters, as I am loving this phone more every day. As a side note, I listened to music at the gym last night and boy does music sound great on this phone!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have no dog in this hunt however it is possible to have the same screens and have different hardware or software running them. They needn't look alike.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What screen tests? I would love to know how to test.

Just fire up one of the display tester apps in the Play Store. They do various things like check for color/brightness irregularities, etc.

That being said... The unit I have (obtained last friday) has no banding issues, not brightness consistancy issues, no color blotches, no ghosting of the nav bar yet. All in all, I think its a really nice display. Now, I will say this, there ARE some issues with it that are present....

The blue shift. OK, if you tile the thing over 45 degrees off center, yes, there's a blue shift. And if you turn the brightness down to the stops and watch dark stuff, the black levels aren't so great.

But...

I never use my phone at the angle the blue shift is seen. And I also never use my phone at the lowest brightness and I want to, say, watch a video... So both issues are a complete non-issue for me.

So if you like to sneak up on your phone while you watch film noir in a pitch black room while also trying not to draw attention to yourself, maybe this isn't the phone for you.

Blueprintsrecords

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I loaded flat Grey screens and looked them in dark room at 0 brightness and up in 10% intervals. Did this with black as well. Scrolled through websites with white backgrounds looking for any lack of uniformity in color or brightness. Banding, splotches any irregularities at various brightness settings. I watched HDR content on Netflix and YouTube. I found none of the reported problems and I was looking. Off angle viewing does have a blue tint but only at angles I would never use in actual use. Read reviews of people who own this phone. Extremely positive.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I loaded flat Grey screens and looked them in dark room at 0 brightness and up in 10% intervals. Did this with black as well. Scrolled through websites with white backgrounds looking for any lack of uniformity in color or brightness. Banding, splotches any irregularities at various brightness settings. I watched HDR content on Netflix and YouTube. I found none of the reported problems and I was looking. Off angle viewing does have a blue tint but only at angles I would never use in actual use. Read reviews of people who own this phone. Extremely positive.

Well... Whenever an issue like this pops up, the first you thing you have to do is discount 90% of the noise. Most of the loudest voices are increasing their volume for the sole purpose of getting attention (whether that is retweets, likes, clicks, etc). So what you will find is that small problems are turned into ERMAGHERDWORSTEVAH! status. And once that happens, everyone jumps to try to pile on. Right now, the Pixel 2 is suffering the worst of that E! Entertainment style journalism. Once the dust settles the mob will then move on to something else.

So take those youtube reviews with a grain of salt... there are plenty of GOOD people on there, but others that will yell and screen "THIS DISPLAY IS TRASH!", etc... That happens, just pass them on by. There are a few well known YT reviewers that I try to avoid as much as possible since I don't want to give them any more traffic (as little as one man counts).

LZSchneider

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
My V30 has irregular brightness. The good news is its only noticeable when the screen brightness is low relative to the ambient bright ess of the room I'm in.

That said I never noticed it until reading this thread so I'm unsure if I care enough to request a replacement.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I keep reading about issues that some reviewers are saying about the screen and I keep thinking maybe I should return the V30 for the Galaxy S8+. So I start looking at the screen for flaws and and they just are not there on my phone, except for the slight blueish tint off angle which I do mind. Then I consider the battery life I am getting (amazing), the quality of the photos, sound output and the second year warranty. I have decided to stay with the V30. This is my 4th LG phone, the others being the G3, V10 &V20 and the all have serve me well!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I keep reading about issues that some reviewers are saying about the screen and I keep thinking maybe I should return the V30 for the Galaxy S8+. So I start looking at the screen for flaws and and they just are not there on my phone, except for the slight blueish tint off angle which I do mind. Then I consider the battery life I am getting (amazing), the quality of the photos, sound output and the second year warranty. I have decided to stay with the V30. This is my 4th LG phone, the others being the G3, V10 &V20 and the all have serve me well!
If I were going to buy a new phone it would be the GS8+ I expected to like the Note 8 but just hate the looks of it (totaly subjective just me). I like the Pixel XL2 but need HDMI capability. If tye V30 kept the ir blaster I'd tilt in that direction but offering no hardware advantages I go with samsung screen and looks.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I've got both the Note 8 and the LG V30 (for now). There's no question that the Note's display is the best there is, but the V30 display is more than good enough, and if I didn't have the Note next to it, I wouldn't notice any issues with it. Comparing it to other phones with Samsung OLED screens like the Axon 7, it compares favorably.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis