How long does everyone anticipate keeping the Note 9?

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was able to get 5 years out of a Galaxy S3. Well technically 2 months shy of 5 yrs. My S8+ was disappointing in only making it 18 months. Really hoping this one makes it at least 3 years. Absolutely love this phone & everything just seems to work better on it than the S8. Further, have read Samsung is going to get rid of the headphone jack next year? I'm sure there'll be a work around, but like what I have as is. :)

I need to learn more details about the camera on this one. Seems there are endless options.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I was able to get 5 years out of a Galaxy S3. Well technically 2 months shy of 5 yrs. My S8+ was disappointing in only making it 18 months. Really hoping this one makes it at least 3 years. Absolutely love this phone & everything just seems to work better on it than the S8. Further, have read Samsung is going to get rid of the headphone jack next year? I'm sure there'll be a work around, but like what I have as is. :)

I need to learn more details about the camera on this one. Seems there are endless options.

You didn't clarify how you only got 18 months out of your S8. What happened?

My S5 is still running and I keep the apps updated and the battery regularly charged. A little slow but still fully functional. So what happened that your S8 only lasted 18 months?

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
You didn't clarify how you only got 18 months out of your S8. What happened?

My S5 is still running and I keep the apps updated and the battery regularly charged. A little slow but still fully functional. So what happened that your S8 only lasted 18 months?

Sorry about that. My S8+ got stuck in boot loop mode. It did it once back in June. Was able to let the battery drain & then get into it to wipe the cache partition & delete an app. This time, not so fortunate. No response to anything & automatically goes to boot loop as soon as the battery gets juice.

I baby my phone's, do not play games, stream shows or any real heavy use. Phone was shut off most nights, was not dropped & was in OtterBox defender case. The issue back in June was having Facebook behind the secure folder.

I've been away with work the past couple weeks. Tho will be off next week, so will be able to dig into it more then. But after spending hours trying to get it going, gave up & picked up this note 9. Really didn't want to spend the money, but had to get something as was leaving with work.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I myself have changed my thoughts a bit since I got my Note 9. I won't be keeping 4 yrs like I did with my S5. Simply because I really enjoy flagship phones these days and this is such a far cry from my S5.

In my case after revision, I will reconsider come S11. I will be able to upgrade for free after a year with the Note 9. If there is a Note 11, I will think about it as my lease will be up. If no Note 11, I will consider the S11. But this depends also for me on Galaxy F. What it offers and the price.

jussi866

Oct 24, 2017
Visit site
I bought my Note 9 few days ago. I had the OG Pixel before. I've been playing with the note quite intensively and I'm thinking about going back to the Pixel. There are only a few things I like about the Note. The screen and the battery. Everything else is good also, but not exceptionally better than on the Pixel. The only use for the pen that I've found has been signing documents and let's be honest, how often you have to do that. It's also pretty frustrating that the Note came with Oreo despite the fact that I have been using Pie for months on my Pixel. Although I have to admit I've been missing the double tap on the recents button to switch apps. I'm not a fan of the software either. It just doesn't feel as polished as the pixel's or even IPhone's. There are too many things that seem inconsistent and out of place.

Anyway I'm not sure if this phone is worth the 1000+ euros. Might as well return it and wait for the Pixel 4.

Last edited:

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Only if it comes with an s-pen
My guess is the pwn will. cost extra and tye tablet will replace the Note. I like the idea of it but I don't like the square shape. I'd like the open tablet to have a 16/ratio but then I'd like every phone to be 16/9 also.

OJsakila

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I plan to keep mines for 3 years. Such a good phone and I don't think 5g will be anywhere near where I am till way after that anyway. Loved my s8 and I think I will like this even more. So pleased I made the call to leave iPhones!

Almost thought this was MY post after liking it...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Note 9 few days ago. I had the OG Pixel before. I've been playing with the note quite intensively and I'm thinking about going back to the Pixel. There are only a few things I like about the Note. The screen and the battery. Everything else is good also, but not exceptionally better than on the Pixel. The only use for the pen that I've found has been signing documents and let's be honest, how often you have to do that. It's also pretty frustrating that the Note came with Oreo despite the fact that I have been using Pie for months on my Pixel. Although I have to admit I've been missing the double tap on the recents button to switch apps. I'm not a fan of the software either. It just doesn't feel as polished as the pixel's or even IPhone's. There are too many things that seem inconsistent and out of place.

Anyway I'm not sure if this phone is worth the 1000+ euros. Might as well return it and wait for the Pixel 4.
The Note is not for everyone. If you are not going to take advantage of the SPen and a lot of the functions of the Note, I see no reason to keep it. Return it and use something you enjoy.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm not locked into a contract so change my phone when it suits me.

So if a new phone was launched which had something in the way of new features or something under the hood thst I wanted then I'll buy it sim free.

I will not buy a new phone because it's the newest one out.

applejosh

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I always plan on 2 years. But it usually only lasts 6-12 months. (I have a problem...) We'll see if I keep true for at least a year...

Yguideslou

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Im aiming for a year or a little longer. Love this phone.

Much MUCH longer now... like til my Note 9 dies, if Samsung's next gen screens really will have that stupid selfie camera O cutout in the screen.

Personally I'd rather have some bezels then any type of notch or cutouts just so the display can go end to end with near zero bezel.

DARK Vader777

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Just like my note8, I'll keep my note9 til it dies. But I'll be getting the note10 as well. Sorry. I'm a junkie for notes🤪

Can I still say ditto?
I'm saying it, ditto!
Love the note series. Note 10 yes I'll get it, but very happy with my note 9 although I had a hiccup a few days ago. All is well now.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Can I still say ditto?
I'm saying it, ditto!
Love the note series. Note 10 yes I'll get it, but very happy with my note 9 although I had a hiccup a few days ago. All is well now.

Haha:D same and my answer will be the same every year when a new note comes out lol. Glad your issue is good now.

quasi des

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
I just can't imagine a phone having anything else that could entice me to upgrade. It's the epitome of, the pinnacle of cell phone technology :D

my last phone was a note 3.
i brought it till android pie.
bt calls nomore since android 8
gps took 10 minutes to find a sattelite
batteries are all dead, only fakes to buy
heavy scuffs all over the device but screen was fine
but finally the powerbutton broke and repair is a *****

so i replaced it with the 9

so how long will i keep that one?
untill it falls apart, goes on fire and cant be turn on anymore
until then i will hack the living **** outta it and prolong its life as much i can

only reason to switch sooner if someone would make that phone i really want

that phone would be in the size of a creditcard and would answer to SELMA :))

smooches680

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi all. I was just curious how long will you all keep the Note 9? I myself came from a Galaxy S5, so it was 4 years for me.

For me, only 1 thing could get me to consider upgrading to the Note 10 - if it came out with the graphene cathode lithium ion battery that recharges 5 times faster than a standard Li ion battery. I'm still doubting that graphene batteries will be released anytime soon.

No other feature would entice me to upgrade next year. But a phone that fully charged in 20 mins I would seriously consider.

Otherwise for me I will keep for my full 2 year contract then pay out the lease and consider the S12 if I know there will be no Note 12. I know what I'm like and would probably hang out to S13. If there is confirmed a Note 12 I'd pick that up but I'm going to assume the Note line won't continue. I'm also assuming the folding phone will be a niche expensive product.

What about the rest of you?
I get one every year I just had the Note 8 so will keep till the next best phone comes out!!