[How-To] Samsung Vibrant Root Froyo, Flash a Custom ROM, Backup and Factory Restore

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
YEp. Got a Green PASS, phone shut off like it was about to reboot, then nothing.

Weird...if Odin said pass, then everything should have flashed fine.

Have you pulled the battery and then tried rebooting? I've had Odin fail and not gotten a response from the phone until I did that.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Try taking the battery out and holding the power button for about ten seconds. Then try plugging it in to the computer with no battery, holding the buttons for download mode, and put the battery in.

If that doesn't work, unfortunately, I'm not sure what else to tell you. Absolutely no response usually means a hard brick. It can happen when flashing bootloaders is involved. You can either go to T-mobile or Samsung and play dumb, or there's a guy who can hard unbrick them for about $50.

Sorry this happened to you. It's extremely rare for a bootloader to fail flashing when it's for the same device. This kind of thing usually only happens when you flash one from another device.

asproles

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: [How-To] Samsung Vibrant Root Froyo, Flash a Custom ROM, Back

I followed all the steps and after reboot the only result was the loss of some apps/ Including the android market. Restore fails over and over.

yonylove

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Oh I should't have done this after 16 hours of work. :( i came home after work and want to restore a vibrant to factory and it was on froyo so i thought the warning was for gingerbread bootloaders only but sadly my phone is hard bricked now i can not go in to the yellow downloading screen any more. what shall i do?

FACTORY RESTORE

[WARN]THIS IS FOR THE SGS-T959 VIBRANT ONLY.
Do not use this on any other phone (such as the Galaxy S 4G) unless you have the SPECIFIC replacement files for your device.[/WARN]

[WARN]DO NOT use this if you have updated to the Galaxy S GINGERBREAD bootloaders. This file contains ONLY an sbl.bin and will HARD brick your phone if you have replaced the bootloaders. [/WARN]

[INFO]1. Download the zip folder from here.

2. Unzip the contents, and save them somewhere easy to find.

3. Open the Odin3 1.7 .exe file.

4. Click PDA. Navigate to the .tar file, and click open.

5. Remove battery, SIM, and micro SD from phone.

6. Re-insert the Battery. Boot into download mode by holding both Volume buttons and plugging in the USB. If you get a screen that says "downloading: do not turn off target" with a digging android, you're in download mode.

7. Your phone should show up in ODIN (the box will turn yellow w/ letters and numbers).

8. Your screen should now look like this. If it doesn't, unplug your phone, and do it again.

[NOTE]IGNORE THE .PIT FILE. ALSO, THE .TAR FILE WILL HAVE A DIFFERENT NAME. Yes, I did steal most of this guide from my Captivate thread :p[/NOTE]

Odin.png

9. If everything looks good, the hit start. DO NOT UNPLUG IT. When it finishes, Odin will say PASS in green. You can then unplug, and your phone will reboot.[/INFO]

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

Oh I should't have done this after 16 hours of work. :( i came home after work and want to restore a vibrant to factory and it was on froyo so i thought the warning was for gingerbread bootloaders only but sadly my phone is hard bricked now i can not go in to the yellow downloading screen any more. what shall i do?

Do you get any response from the phone at all? The warning is only if you've manually installed gingerbread bootloaders, froyo should be fine.

yonylove

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Do you get any response from the phone at all? The warning is only if you've manually installed gingerbread bootloaders, froyo should be fine.

No Respond at all. it doesn't boot up it is dummy i can not take it to boot-loader mode. i change the battery but it is still the same, any chance to fix it?

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site

No Respond at all. it doesn't boot up it is dummy i can not take it to boot-loader mode. i change the battery but it is still the same, any chance to fix it?

If there's nothing on the screen when you try to boot it, your only option is to send it in for a JTAG. Connexion2005 does it for a pretty good price, or you can send it to Samsung under warranty.

To everyone: I'm replacing this file with an Eclair official update. You can update through Kies after that. This version has caused multiple problems, and I can't remove the sbl.bin for some reason.

Bon Bons

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site

Hi, I'm trying to help my friend/coworker root his Samsung Vibrant and install a gingerbread based ROM. So far we've rooted his phone and installed 3e recovery. Then installed ROM manager on his phone and flashed clockworkmod recovery. Then turned the phone off, and booted it again holding volume up, down, and power. Then selected "update packages" and let it "do it's thing" until it got back to the menu. When we selected it again, it went back to the same menu instead of the green menu. We did a reboot, and now whenever trying to update the packages, it just boots back into regular Android. Does anyone know what went wrong, or any suggestions on how to fix? Thank you.

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site

In the factory restore instructions, step 1 says "THROW OUT THE .tar FILE. Download the .rar file from this thread (second link)"... where is this second link? The TAR was named "T959UVKA6_REV05_home_low_CL860813.tar" in the "VibrantFlashToStock.zip" download file, but I am looking for where to download the TAR file ends in J16.

dsarangi

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site

How can i undo this ROM and go back to the stock froyo ROM?

This ROM made my vibrant really slow.

Paradox1080

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site

Can you please re-post the Odin download but without Mega-upload considering it was just taken down?

toridnyc

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

INSTALLING CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY

[NOTE]If you are on Froyo, you must use this method first to allow 3e recovery to install unsigned files.
[/NOTE]

Can someone explain what this means? How do I know that I need "3e recovery". I tried running the batch file in the posted link, but it declared that it failed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool