HOW TO: Stay stock and get rid of the bloat

Schufly

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, Root explorer doesn't work for me. I get temp root, delete the files, reboot, and there they are again. Doh! Tried the Titanium backup. Temp root, then long hold on a program. Choose force remove. It reboots twice, and the file is gone. Long process, but it works. Then do it all over again. Plus I don't have permanent root. Just had a bad experience with permanent root on my wife's Optimus S. I like the idea of root when I want it.

Enraged Medic

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
So I figured by reading the simple instructions on how to remove the bloat from my new EVO that the process should be a piece of cake! NOT! I'm coming from BlackBerry and installing/uninstalling OS's and Apps was a PIECE OF CAKE compared to this! Download BBSAK and connect your phone via USB and BAM!

So I find the download link for z4root and unzip the file...ummm, k, no .exe or .msi files...WTF do I do now??? I do not know any command lines and don't know if I should just plug in my phone via USB and hope somehting magically happens? I went to the market and downloaded Titanium Backup Free Version to my phone (that was easy).

Would anyone care to help this noob? Credit goes out to the OP for this thread, but seriously man, I know you're new like me, but you can't OMIT steps like how to get z4root up and running.

SBT

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
When I try to do this on my evo, all that happens after hitting z4 root is I select root, it says rooting, then flashes to white screen and reboots the phone. But when I open up Titanium backup after that it says "can't find the root" can someone please help me out as I have wanted all this BLOATWARE off my phone since day one!!

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
My question is - what would we accomplish from doing this? Does this make the phone battery last longer or what? I'm at a lost.

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The z4root app is supposed to turn to a white screen but not supposed to turn the phone off that's why the apps that need root can find Su because when you use temp root and the phone shuts off or reboot that's why its temp its going to loss root maybe uninstall the reinstall the app again but after the white screen you should verbal confirmation at a blue screen saying you have successfully temp root till the next time you reboot

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe a little bit of battery but mainly alot of junk that takes Up precious space for you the user to use instead of the crap ware the service provider want that you can't normally touch really and it might give the phone more resources to use for what ever you are running in the background instead of the phone to wait for other crap to not be used the phone will eliminate the things that you are not running for a long time and make the phone snappy

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Colestein your right on the z root part never really used the freeze feature and there isn't really a scary thing when using the z4root unless you take off the system apps that your phone needs thats why you should deff read up on which you should and which you shouldn't take and freeze I'm not sure but deleting them I know isn't good but for the most part its safe just do the reading first

prittyboy203

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Enraged medic you should just download the file on your phone once you get it there get a app the let's you see your files like astrology file manager and go to where you put the file it should say apk file then click that and hit package installer click ok to install you might not have went to your settings app manager and click install unknown apps it might be good to do that before anything once that's all done you need to get the titanium back up once in there you could long press the app or click it and choose either freeze or delete you might not know what apps to not delete so read the post on what you can and can't and you should be good if the file problem persists then change the file look a Googleing download z4root apk and file the actual apk file not exe or anything else it should only say apk then transfer the file to you phone pc or just download from your browser hope that helps

Reactions: Enraged Medic

hollj00#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
a few qeustions

I think i'm finally starting to understand this stuff, but if some one would attempt to answer these for me i'd be greatful.

Thanks
ps- please be kind on the tech words, think idiots guide to.....

What is a NAND backup? guessing backing up the system on a computer?

Accessing the system this way can you open wireless/USB tethering?

What do you do to improve battery life? currently i get 8 hrs very little use, 6 hrs moderate use, 3-4 hrs heavy use.

What apps should not be removed? i'm wanting to remove the junk, nascar, nova, amazon mp3/kindle, blockbuster, stocks, basically the stuff i have no interest in, and don't seem to be operating system apps.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think i'm finally starting to understand this stuff, but if some one would attempt to answer these for me i'd be greatful.

Thanks
ps- please be kind on the tech words, think idiots guide to.....

What is a NAND backup? guessing backing up the system on a computer?

You cannot do a nand back up because you a not fully rooted, look to the rooting guides for info on that

Accessing the system this way can you open wireless/USB tethering?

Yes

What do you do to improve battery life? currently i get 8 hrs very little use, 6 hrs moderate use, 3-4 hrs heavy use.

Removing the bloat wont help your battery that much. To do that fully root it, install a custom rom and underclock while the screen is off.

What apps should not be removed? i'm wanting to remove the junk, nascar, nova, amazon mp3/kindle, blockbuster, stocks, basically the stuff i have no interest in, and don't seem to be operating system apps.

You can remove all those you listed, and alot more. If youre gun shy about deleting something, just ask on this thread and ill yay or nay it

Bold

SBT

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I guess I will try to uninstall the z4root and then re-install it and see if it runs correctly that way?!!

ckc90745

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
why am i able to temporary root using z4root but when i try to root my phone using simple root i am not able to do it, i really would love to root my evo 4g

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
why am i able to temporary root using z4root but when i try to root my phone using simple root i am not able to do it, i really would love to root my evo 4g

Its nand locked, and froyo is not compatible with simple root. Go to the sticky about rooting.

hollj00#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So I have z4 downloaded as wells titanium backup. Z4 root says debugging has to be disabled but I can't find it on my phone. Is this only by hooking up to a computer or am I missing something. Thanks

hollj00#AC

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
i got it figured out, not that difficult just time consuming, one more question.

using z4root, and titanium backup (i guess) how do i enable the wireless/usb tethering?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Would this work with incredible?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk.

Yes. It should.

Some things are deleting and some still not. Any ideas. Nascar,nfl deleted but amazon,gtalk will not.

Amazon and Gtalk are deletable. If you are having trouble, buy root explorer from the market for 1$ Then go to System > apps, mount as read write and delete what you wish, reboot and its gone.

i got it figured out, not that difficult just time consuming, one more question.

Use root explorer, its better.

using z4root, and titanium backup (i guess) how do i enable the wireless/usb tethering?

To tether while temp rooted, download wireless tether from the market, and use it. OR go to the free wireless tethering sticky and download it from there.

Reactions: sincityk9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54