How to turn off Voicemail notification sound

Kimmy71

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi. So this voicemail alert is driving me crazy. Is there any way to turn off the alert sound? I would still like for the alert icon to appear but dont want it to play a sound everytime I get a voicemail. I have gone into Messages>Voicemail Notification Settings>and unchecked Play notification sound but it still plays the default sound. Any advice? I'm sure its just something simple that I'm missing.

Thanks guys

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try this menu>settings>call>voice mail setting and you should be able to disable the notification all together. I use Google Voice for VM so I can't be positive this works, if not let me know.

Kimmy71

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...when I go in that menu There are only 3 options...Voicemail service (which is set to my carrier), Voicemail settings (which only gives me the option to choose my voicemail number) and Clear voicemail notification. Damn.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Sorry I coundn't help but maybe someone who uses can give you some better suggestions. You could always sign up for Google Voice which IMO rocks.

Reactions: Kimmy71

Kimmy71

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I am actually using Google Voice...love it, but the I havent been using the voicemail portion. Maybe I should start that today.

Kimmy71

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I only use it for voice mail and have for some time it's really worth taking a look at.
So kinda off topic now, but being that you have been using Google Voice, is there a way to set different voicemails for those that call your normal cell and those that dial your Google Number?

Moose

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi. So this voicemail alert is driving me crazy. Is there any way to turn off the alert sound? I would still like for the alert icon to appear but dont want it to play a sound everytime I get a voicemail. I have gone into Messages>Voicemail Notification Settings>and unchecked Play notification sound but it still plays the default sound. Any advice? I'm sure its just something simple that I'm missing.

Thanks guys

I had to to go to the phone app like I was making a call. At the bottom near my contacts were the 3 dots, and hit that a menu pops up, hit call settings. Find voicemail, then hit sound set to none. Also turned off vibrate too. Hope it works

Last edited:

jeffinnewportb

Aug 23, 2017
Visit site
It's easy to get rid of it..I have a Galaxy s8 plus...go to settings/ notifications... You'll see the long list of apps...scroll down to voicemail then turn the little blue switch to the off position....

zubraz

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys

As someone said previously, that annoying voicemail notifications bugs people, who use "aftermarket" voicemail provider, such as google vm or youmail or else, and that notification mean, that you have voicemails in your default voicemail provider.
So, to get rid of it, one must deactivate the "aftermarket" provider, call the default voicemail, delete all the msgs, and then re-activate the voicemail app of choice. That worked on my Note 5, and, logically, makes sense.
Good luck

Tish Fox

May 25, 2018
Visit site
Getting energy companies leaving expensive voice mails 3 or 4 times a day,, which are blocked but they keep leaving me voice mails,, Sony Xperia,,, doing my head in,,, how do I block? Thanks