HTC One Battery Life/Stats Discussion

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey, speak for yourself, I actually have the SGNexus so I know from personal experience what its battery life is like. And, I'm at 25% at the end of the day only because I'm charging it during the day -- I seldom had to do that with the SGNexus...

And, saying that you can't compare them because the One is so much newer and faster is utter nonsense -- the next thing we'll be hearing is that the next gen phones are OK if they last an hour because, hey, they're even newer and faster than the One. Why should a newer phone have a shorter battery life?

As I said before, I love almost everything else about the One but so far I'm not loving the battery life and I have the right to this opinion as you have the right to your's.

If I could have had a role in the design of the One I'd have put a 3000mAHr battery and a uSD slot in it and would have no issue making it a bit thicker and/or a bit less rounded in the back. I actually think it would be better if the sides were a bit thicker to make it easier to hold.
I agree with you on the 3000mA battery. But the newer processors on new phones are much less power hungry. I know many people with GNex and not one of them can make it through the day. Even my Nexus 4 struggles to make it through. If you were getting that kind of battery on it then that was a rare situation as everyone complained about it being horrible. Have you tried turning off Blink feed to see if it helps?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I agree with you on the 3000mA battery. But the newer processors on new phones are much less power hungry. I know many people with GNex and not one of them can make it through the day. Even my Nexus 4 struggles to make it through. If you were getting that kind of battery on it then that was a rare situation as everyone complained about it being horrible. Have you tried turning off Blink feed to see if it helps?

Agreed. Neither Nexus is floating around in the LTE airwaves, either.

I can charge my phone pretty much anytime I want. I don't worry about battery life at all because of that. I would like to think that most people that CAN charge the phone during the day wouldn't have a problem doing so, and therefor wouldn't worry about battery life.

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I got myself 41 hours with 19% left (only drained 78%) and 3 hours and ~10 minutes of screen time. A lot of audioout wakelocks too. Anyone want screenshots?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
It (the new Snapdragon 600 SoC) may be better at idling unused cores, but when full power required by a demanding app/game - these power-saving tricks won't help. The Snapdragon 600 also uses same 28 nm lithography process, same as the older Snapdragon S4, so there's also no gains in power efficiency in terms of smaller transistor size (since they are the same size).
But they still are better when you aren't using your phone which helps a lot. My Nexus 4 uses almost nothing when the screen is off. My SGS2 would continue to drain away similarly to the GNex.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It (the new Snapdragon 600 SoC) may be better at idling unused cores, but when full power required by a demanding app/game - these power-saving tricks won't help. The Snapdragon 600 also uses same 28 nm lithography process, same as the older Snapdragon S4, so there's also no gains in power efficiency in terms of smaller transistor size (since they are the same size).

So you're telling me that a phone uses more power when you're doing stuff on it? :p

But they still are better when you aren't using your phone which helps a lot. My Nexus 4 uses almost nothing when the screen is off. My SGS2 would continue to drain away similarly to the GNex.

THIS. Idle time is far more important to me. I want to know that if I leave my phone alone all day that when I do finally pick it up to use it I won't find the battery dead. My One is using maybe 1% per hour idle while on wifi. That is far more impressive to me than how much screen on time I can get (which, again, means you're using the phone). If you can use the phone that much, you can PROBABLY charge it at some point during the day.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
So you're telling me that a phone uses more power when you're doing stuff on it? :p

THIS. Idle time is far more important to me. I want to know that if I leave my phone alone all day that when I do finally pick it up to use it I won't find the battery dead. My One is using maybe 1% per hour idle while on wifi. That is far more impressive to me than how much screen on time I can get (which, again, means you're using the phone). If you can use the phone that much, you can PROBABLY charge it at some point during the day.
Exactly. It's a lot easier managing your battery when you know it isn't going to drain down when it's sitting on your desk. Today I only got just under 9 hours on my nexus 4 but I also had almost 4 hours of on screen time. What can I say. I used my day of rest to the fullest. :D:thumbup:

dchandler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting good battery life on my HTC One

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367210860473.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367210860473.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 51

geometro

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Having done about 4-6 charge cycles in the week since I've had my phone, I'm now averaging over 24 hours total uptime with between 3-4hrs screen on, average use, wifi and bluetooth always on, most syncs on. I found that enabling sleep mode gave me a big boost - saves me from having to switch the power saver on at night too. I also use wakelock detector to keep an eye on what was killing my battery in idle and adjusted my syncs/uninstalled apps accordingly. My biggest fear of moving to android from iOS was having to charge it daily or multiple times a day, but this phone doesn't leave me wanting in that department. I'll take a screen shot when I'm at the end of this charge cycle, so probably tomorrow around noon.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
The battery 'history' on my phone shows that the phone's been 'awake' for 16 hours, but I actually had the phone turned off completely during the time. I think, I had the phone On for like 2 hours, after which I turned it off. I then turned it On again last night, and I found it showing 16 hours instead of maybe 3 hours.

Anybody else having this problem? I turned it Off by holding the Power button, when on the home page, for a few seconds, and then tapping the 'power off' button that pops up.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has been phenomenal. It's mostly because of controlling wakelocks. My device no longer uses a bunch of battery when I'm not using it. I'm rooted so I use greenify to hibernate (not freeze) apps. This makes sure they don't run background processes but also keeps them usable. Combine with wakelock detector, which helps identify apps that sometimes run unnecessary processes and once identify, just hibernate them. My idle time is great. My phone has been off the charger since 8:30AM this morning and it's close to 2PM and my battery is at 93%. This is with 8-10 texts, 25-30 emails, checking RSS feeds every hour and a little facebook and instagram. This isn't heavy use but this would easily put me around 70% before. I also have been getting a little over 5 hours on screen time on the weekend. I also have wifi, location services and GPS always on and screen on auto. If you're rooted, try these 2 apps together. If you're not rooted, get rooted, just for these LOL.

EverNap

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
If you're rooted, try these 2 apps together. If you're not rooted, get rooted, just for these
Any suggestions for battery-related apps for non-rooted phones? I don't want to root the device because, I will be giving the phone to my dad, and I don't think I want him to deal with a rooted phone.
Thanks.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Any suggestions for battery-related apps for non-rooted phones? I don't want to root the device because, I will be giving the phone to my dad, and I don't think I want him to deal with a rooted phone.
Thanks.

I think Deep Sleep Battery saver and Juice Defender work for non rooted devices.

The first is more about putting your device into a deep sleep or hibernation when not in use. Has a ton of settings.
The second is more about controlling data connections. Also has a ton of settings. I don't use it anymore and probably wouldn't recommend as a first choice but it's an option.

I used these on previous devices but I don't have to with Greenify and wakelock detector.

If you don't want your dad dealing with root, I'd assume you don't want him dealing with apps like these with a lot of customization. Maybe just turning on power saver mode is good enough.

Last edited:

santhon2

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine is doing good using the Snapdragon app.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367274802276.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367274802276.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 66

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Who agreed during the device setup to use some sort of snapdragon or gps optimization to help with battery life(I can't remember the details)? I enabled it and wonder if that is helping with the great battery life I'm getting.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

LindtChocolate

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I now have a RILJ wakelock that WILL NOT go away no matter what I do. Even after 4 factory resets, it will not go away. I have to exchange the phone, which sucks. Anyone know what to do about this before I exchange the phone?

c613m

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site

Raptor

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Who agreed during the device setup to use some sort of snapdragon or gps optimization to help with battery life(I can't remember the details)? I enabled it and wonder if that is helping with the great battery life I'm getting.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

I don't remember this but there should be some other way to control this after setup - anyone know?

Brian

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej