HTC One camera problems, please help!

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Definitely think that there is problem with some HTC Ones in this respect, because I see it so often. My camera is perfect to be honest, in all conditions. But some people get through 5 or 6 phones before they find one that works.

walterkurtz

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
i don't understand these constant threads denouncing picture quality in low and no-light situations. what are you people taking pictures of in the dark? and what do you expect from your phone? no camera takes pictures in the dark. does anyone understand the basic principles of photography? in order to take decent pictures in low light you need a few things: a fast lens (1.2 would be great), a large sensor (for gathering light...the HTC ONE has a small sensor just like every other telephone) and/or the ability to push the ISO high enough to compensate for the lack of light. i don't know what the HTC ONE ISO range is, but i suspect it is far less than 6400-12,800.

seriously, do iphones take great pictures in low light? why do people have this expectation of their ONE? no, i'm serious. someone please explain. i am a photographer, a recent android convert (from blackberry which i never used in the dark), and would never expect my telephone to take great low (and no) light pictures. i would expect roughly what you guys are all posting in these threads: noisy, unusable crap.

i hope this doesn't sound like an angry rant. i truly am curious. and, without sounding snarky (as i suspect i often do), if you want good low light pictures:

1. use a proper camera
2. and/or use a flash

Faisal Naim

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Problems with the camera module.... Most of the models from the early batches of the ONE are having this problem. HTC claims to come up with Android update to fix the problem.... Also HTC support might ask you to switch your ISO to 100 which might help.. But what the heck.... I paid a handsome amount for a perfectly working device and not the just fine on the 100 setting one..... Just ask for unit replacement... though you might end up getting your motherboard changed... Like it did in my case

bloo0153

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
i don't understand these constant threads denouncing picture quality in low and no-light situations. what are you people taking pictures of in the dark? and what do you expect from your phone? no camera takes pictures in the dark. does anyone understand the basic principles of photography? in order to take decent pictures in low light you need a few things: a fast lens (1.2 would be great), a large sensor (for gathering light...the HTC ONE has a small sensor just like every other telephone) and/or the ability to push the ISO high enough to compensate for the lack of light. i don't know what the HTC ONE ISO range is, but i suspect it is far less than 6400-12,800.

seriously, do iphones take great pictures in low light? why do people have this expectation of their ONE? no, i'm serious. someone please explain. i am a photographer, a recent android convert (from blackberry which i never used in the dark), and would never expect my telephone to take great low (and no) light pictures. i would expect roughly what you guys are all posting in these threads: noisy, unusable crap.

i hope this doesn't sound like an angry rant. i truly am curious. and, without sounding snarky (as i suspect i often do), if you want good low light pictures:

1. use a proper camera
2. and/or use a flash

The level of light doesn't have to get that low for the purple to show up, at least on my phone. For example I was at dinner with some friends and we were eating outside on a patio. The sun had almost set and there were a few lit tiki torches in the background. One of my friends took a photo with his iPhone. Sure it was a bit grainy, but the amount of light visible in the photo matched the light in real life. Some areas were black, some half lit. I took a shot with my One on auto and the whole picture ended up with a purple tint. Turning my ISO down to 100 and retaking the shot fixed the issue but I don't want to have to mess with the settings to take a half way decent photo. I've never had this problem before with a camera, on a phone or otherwise.

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Anyone here updated their One to 4.3? Does it fix the purple tint issue?

Posted via Android Central App

I haven't yet received the update but I've read several posts in another thread saying that the update did not fix their camera issues.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the unlocked 32GB HTC One and I received the 4.3 update on Thursday, unfortunately the camera issue is still prevalent :(

Are you located in the US? Not really relevant, but I just want to know if so far only US HTC One owners are receiving the 4.3 update.

newnado

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I came from South East Asia. I am using black HTC One, with Android 4.2

This issue happened to 'almost' all HTC One, doesnt depend on colour or region. Actually, i never experienced this problem, but after reading this thread, I test my camera in a total dark room, and tap on the screen to make it focus... And i am shocked to see the result... Not only purple, it's red in my One, and I am f*ckin scared since yesterday I just saw a horror movie, and looking to my camera reminds me of that film.

I hope this is just a software issue, and the upcoming 4.3 update could fix this.

Sent from my HTC One

mpanju7

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you located in the US? Not really relevant, but I just want to know if so far only US HTC One owners are receiving the 4.3 update.

I'm not located in the US right now but I got my phone from there, bought it unlocked in May via the HTC LetsTalk online site and I brought it down to Tanzania where I'm going to be for another six months or so. Basically I'm kinda screwed if they don't release a patch to fix this as I don't know how I'm going to get a replacement!

Posted via Android Central App

Gazella

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey. I came from South East Asia. I am using black HTC One, with Android 4.2

This issue happened to 'almost' all HTC One, doesnt depend on colour or region. Actually, i never experienced this problem, but after reading this thread, I test my camera in a total dark room, and tap on the screen to make it focus... And i am shocked to see the result... Not only purple, it's red in my One, and I am f*ckin scared since yesterday I just saw a horror movie, and looking to my camera reminds me of that film.

I hope this is just a software issue, and the upcoming 4.3 update could fix this.

Sent from my HTC One

It definitely has nothing to do with the region, I am aware of that. I'm just waiting on 4.3 and was wondering if only people in the US are receiving it as of yet. That's why I stated that it's not relevant ;)

jbrandonf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Black One here on ATT. Same problem. It's disgusting, I bought this phone full price and the low light abilities make the phone damn near unusable. I'm holding it side by side with my Lumia 1020 and whereas the actual screen of the Lumia displays just blackness, the HTC has a messed up looking haze that everyone above has described. I went into an ATT store and covered the camera lens on a couple of the demos and same thing.

I sell phones also for multiple carriers and while ringing out a One for a Verizon customer I got the same thing! This is stupid as hell..Anandtech's review and camera test did not display these results. The HTC actually outperformed the Lumia 920 in low light... HTC really needs to explain themselves.

giselaf

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
My HTC One started doing the same thing. I've gotten two replacements in the past week and both are doing the same thing.

BUT, it isn't an issue with ALL HTC Ones, my fiance's HTC One doesn't do this crap. It is so frustrating.

shady909

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I exchanged my ATT Silver One for this same problem and the 2ndphone I received was WORSE :D The 3rd one is on the way and hopefully it'll work. Both phones were on 4.3 so that wasn't a fix for the purple tint.

IMAG0006.jpg

spudtheimpaler

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm suffering as well, in the UK, sent my phone off for warranty repair with carphone warehouse and they are saying

We've tried our very best to fix your device but, unfortunately as it has a serious fault we were unable to repair it and regrettably the fault is not covered by the manufacturers warranty. Please check your options if you are covered elsewhere or speak to our instore consultant to see if you are eligible for a subsidised upgrade with us. We could also provide you with up to 10% discount to buy a replacement device.

I don't think it is a software issue as it seems to me and some others that the level of purple is related to the heat of the phone. I.e. on a cold night it hasn't been as bad as if I've just unplugged it from the charger.

I am, to say the least, very annoyed. The low light pictures were the USP of this phone, and if they wont fix it under warranty then there will be a backlash for sure. Not an almighty backlash, simply because not enough people are buying them, but if their USP is broken on their flagship device and they don't fix it... well, that's pretty bad going.

EDIT: Because I've run HTC Dev Unlock, Carphone Warehouse wont replace the phone under warranty.

Last edited:

spudtheimpaler

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Here is the chat with an operator from HTC online support

Customer ChatChat Transcript
You have been connected to Magdalena.
Magdalena: Hi Mitchell, thank you for contacting HTC Support, I am looking in to your query now.
spudtheimpaler: Hi Magdalena. Thank you.
Magdalena: In this case please send to us a picture of it with some information and we will see it but probably will be cover by the warranty if is not a mechanical damage or liquid damage
spudtheimpaler: It is neither mechanical or water damage. It is a very well known issue reported throughout the world
spudtheimpaler: Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos - Page 2 - xda-developers
spudtheimpaler: HTC One Defects.. - HTC - Android phones
spudtheimpaler: How can I send you the info you require?
spudtheimpaler: As mentioned in the first form, I returned it to the place I purchased for warranty repair and they responded with the following message
Magdalena: so it is not a problem and you can book a courier with us by calling to htc or sending an email
spudtheimpaler: We've tried our very best to fix your device but, unfortunately as it has a serious fault we were unable to repair it and regrettably the fault is not covered by the manufacturers warranty. Please check your options if you are covered elsewhere or speak to our instore consultant to see if you are eligible for a subsidised upgrade with us. We could also provide you with up to 10% discount to buy a replacement device.
spudtheimpaler: ok, if you have the number / email address to send my request I will do that. Thank you.
Magdalena: Contact Us
spudtheimpaler: ok I will do that. thank you.
Magdalena: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
spudtheimpaler: no, many thanks.