HTC One: Certain headphones won't work anymore

BeoXify

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
I've only had the htc one for exactly 3 weeks and one day, and the stock earbuds doesn't work anymore with the htc one. I can get them to work temporarily if I have the jack at a certain angle, pull them out a very tiny bit and immediately push it back in all the way it will work for a few seconds, but then gets really soft and distorted,however every other set of headphones dont have this problem. One would think that its the earbuds are faulty, BUT I tried the earbuds with my computer and it works flawlessly, so it cant be the earbuds that's causing the issues. I've already tried cleaning out the headphone jack, (I shined a small light into the jack and there was nothing there other than shiney metal.) I've obviously tried restarting the phone, looking wherever i can in the settings. I've tried pressing the mic button thing (whatever its called). no luck. I needs help-age.

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What did you try cleaning the jack out with? Even if you don't see anything with a flashlight, it's still worth swabbing around with a damp toothpick or a small Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol (just make sure the Q-tip doesn't fray easily, and that it isn't totally soaked with alcohol). Or you could try a can of compressed air to blow out the jack. If that doesn't work, then talk to the place you got the phone from and ask for a replacement. If you're beyond the replacement period, then you probably have to talk to HTC about warranty repair or replacement.

Andwhatwasthat

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I have the exact same issue. I tried the exactly the same way but to no avail. Are there more people like us to have the same issue? I tried cleaning too but to no avail. I reckon it is a software/app issue. Because the headphones work just fine on my laptop, tablet etc. And if i use my sony headphones on my HTC One phone, they work just fine! So the headphones are not faulty, the headphone jack is not faulty or dirty. It had to be a software/app issue.

MrDroidi

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I wasnt getting sound out of one of my headphones at all then I plugged in a different pair and it worked fine. Same headphones worked a day later. I think its a software issue maybe to do with the cable plugs design.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I think if you compare the jacks of the different headphones you will notice a slight difference. It sounds like the contact points for the jack has become soiled possibly even burnt or corroded. This would explain why other headphones with a slightly different configuration work in the phone and the headphones work in other devices. I'm not sure what Andwhat used to clean their jack port, but they make some really good electronics cleaners if alcohol and a cotton swab didn't get it. The thing to consider also is if it happened once it will likely happen again, but if cleaning worked once it will likely work again.

sschirko

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I've had my HTC One for about a year and a half and never had earbud issues with it until two weeks ago. I've used the same earbuds with it for about the last 3-4 months(2-3 pair prior) and the earbuds were band new. No problems until two weeks ago when they stopped working with the phone while still working with all my other devices. Other earbuds work with the phone just not the ones I was using daily. I've clean out the phone and earbud jacks with rubbing alcohol and even blew out the phone jack with canned air even though I couldn't see anything down there. I've cleaned the jack several times and still have the same issue with the one pair of earbuds. The solution - don't use those earbuds and use one of the three other sets that do work. Disappointed and confused as to why this is happening and just not ready to do a factory reset to see if that will help. While I really like the HTC One, these kind of issues are frustrating. Hd these kinds of issues with an Acer tablet and I'll never buy Acer again. Don't do this to me HTC!!!

iAmThePan

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
I've got the Harmon Kardon edition. Right after installing the lollipop update my klipsch s4a earbuds stopped being recognized when I plug them in. Other earbuds work fine. I suspect it has something to do with the inline microphone as the headphones that work do not have one. (microphone also works on other android phones)

I've tried factory reset etc. Probably have to buy new headphones that don't have an inline mic or just a different model. Sadness.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skrifjar14