ICS Contacts on Nexus S

callison.168

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Quite a journey for me in the last week. I finally decided to root my phone and put kwiboo's version of ICS on there. I loved it. Great stuff. Then, yesterday, I hear the big news about the official build of ICS for our phones. So this morning (while my wife was getting ready) I unrooted my phone and installed the official update. Bliss. Here's my question:

When you go to contacts, is there anyway to see High Quality photos? I went to my gmail contacts on my computer and uploaded a high quality image but when I look at it on my phone's contacts, it seems a bit pixelated. Any help would be great. Thanks!

callison.168

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I'm back. It looks like on XDA someone had some good information. If you put your hi-res photo in your gallery then set it as the contact picture, it will look much better.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm back. It looks like on XDA someone had some good information. If you put your hi-res photo in your gallery then set it as the contact picture, it will look much better.

Pretty sad that you have to do it that way. I update all of my contact information on the computer through Gmail Contacts. I have 273 entries in my contacts list and all of them have an image associated with them that I loaded through Gmail/Contacts.

Why Google would start using hi-res photos to show when your connected to a call and not support that in Gmail/Contacts is stupid.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I suspect that the images GB cached were low-res because the contact picture windows were just smaller. So even if you originally uploaded a high-res image, it got shrunk to save space. When ICS came along, then, with its big pictures, those images had to be blown up, and consequently look like crap. Re-uploading a high-res photo thus fixes it since the system now caches a larger image to accommodate the new UI.

I have no idea, though. That's just my guess.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I suspect that the images GB cached were low-res because the contact picture windows were just smaller. So even if you originally uploaded a high-res image, it got shrunk to save space. When ICS came along, then, with its big pictures, those images had to be blown up, and consequently look like crap. Re-uploading a high-res photo thus fixes it since the system now caches a larger image to accommodate the new UI.

I have no idea, though. That's just my guess.

OK, sounds like a plausible solution, so I thought I would give it a try.

First, I decided to use this picture as a contact image. It should be big enough:

image01.jpg

Next, I logged into Gmail on my computer and went to Contacts and selected the image. Notice it still wants you to "crop" the image. I selected as much of the image as I could:

image02.jpg

It appeared in my contacts on the phone like it was supposed, but notice how "blurry" the image is:

image03.jpg

You would think that by selecting an image with a resolution of 2816x2112 it would be clear. Google needs to address this issue.

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like a case of one hand (the Gmail team) not watching the other (the Android team). Oh, well. I'm sure they'll sort it out eventually. It's annoying, but I'm not going to ask anybody to work over the holiday to fix it. :p

kktk

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
This has been a long issue with Contacts.
There are threads all over about this.

The problem comes from the fact that the Gmail contact resolution was set to 76X76 I believe.
That has recently been upgraded to 256X256...but is still pretty low.

That's why contact syncing with online contacts has a low resolution.

You either dont sync with online...or wait for gmail contacts to get a higher resolution.
Last i checked...this has been a request for over 2yrs running ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goodweather2024