ICS is here!!!

ashishb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
No update here for me - I'm in Chicago. Tried to update via Kies, but having the same issue someone else in this thread had. The PC recognizes the tab and Kies apparently sees the tab too, but it just tries connecting and never does. I've waited for over 15 minutes a few times, uninstalled Kies and reinstalled Kies, but Kies never actually connects - stays at connecting. Tried on my mac too, but i've got lion and apparently Kies doesn't support Lion yet (unless I'm doing something wrong). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll just wait for the OTA.

kitster

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
ATLANTA - and got mine last night via KIES. My Tab has never ever let me know of updates - since day 1 (July 2011). So, I finally got KIES to give it up last night about 10.

It is blazing fast for sure. Beyond that, and Chrome (yes!), I cannot see much of a difference yet. It has a wireless KIES option (which sounds good for those, like me, who have KIES issues). Oh, and all my icons and shortcuts were gone - but it kept my (custom) wallpaper. Lock screen wallpaper changed (because it was a system wallpaper).

I am looking forward to playing around with it more over the next days and weeks.

pizza5

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem with Kies that everybody else had until I had an epiphany that I cannot rationally explain. I was trying and failing with my standard Win XP box. So I thought, and with no basis for it at all, to try it on a newer box with Win 7 and a little more RAM. I downloaded Kies anew and Wallah! it worked smoothly and installed ICS and the firmware upgrade in under 15 minutes. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that my Win 7 machine is the only one in the country that is capable of using Kies to download the update. How much do you think that might be worth, hypothetically speaking?
Note to Sue7M3: Chill. You've been living in the Big Apple too long. You're too tense.

Gangrel

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone in Canada gotten the update yet? I have to try Kies when I get home, I had nothing OTA when I tried before leaving for work.

danop

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Got the OTA a little while ago and have been playing around with it. Installed chrome and nova launcher. Everything seems smoother.

I have noticed one issue, it no longer seems to see the 5Ghz band Wi-Fi. Nothing shows up in the Wi-Fi analyzer app (neither mine nor my neighbors), and the saved ones I have show as not in range. The 2.4Ghz band is fine. Anyone else having this issue?

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
same issue here...had to change the band that I was set for on the router then was good
with 5ghz.........

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Not in Atlanta for the 32GB, I've been checking since 10:30 lastnigt. Praying the OTA works for me b/c I can't connect to Kies. Did the reset 3times already. :'(

jjsull

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Oregon-we got it last night.... few glitches in Handscent app with viewing profile pics and Facebook merging. Otherwise once figured out why there were so many triplicates....

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Haven't seen the update here, either OTA or via Kies. Since one or two seemed to think the US version was smoother, worked better and included some things not in the UK build, I followed @ChuckeeDroid's lead and DLed the US build from sammobile. I installed over the UK build with ODIN. It upgraded perfectly, everything in place.

One note: When I upgraded from 3.2 to the UK build, I lost my screen layouts (two launchers) like @blindturtle37. Since that was my very first upgrade, I put that down to novice error. Doing something I shouldn't have or not doing something I should have. But, since I'm not alone in that experience, perhaps there's something lacking in the instructions or a random glitch in the install. In any case, it only cost a little time setting up again. Nothing was lost.

anon(2880675)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Got it yesterday in Atlanta via Kies. Checked for OTA all day to no avail. I have a Mac and it wouldn't let me update through Kies on there, funky stuff. Luckily I have a PC. Man I got to say, ICS is AMAZING compared to the last build. :)

fetterjohn

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I, too, did the update through Kies. I have never used Kies before so it took a while to load onto my computer...but once it loaded and I restarted it with the Tab hooked to the computer, it very quickly alerted me to an update in the firmware.

I am now the happy user of ICS 4.0.4...it is so much smoother than GB and the features are great. Do we have the option of the stock home screen like the Epic 4G Touch users had?

Thanks...

anon(2880675)

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
No update here for me - I'm in Chicago. Tried to update via Kies, but having the same issue someone else in this thread had. The PC recognizes the tab and Kies apparently sees the tab too, but it just tries connecting and never does. I've waited for over 15 minutes a few times, uninstalled Kies and reinstalled Kies, but Kies never actually connects - stays at connecting. Tried on my mac too, but i've got lion and apparently Kies doesn't support Lion yet (unless I'm doing something wrong). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll just wait for the OTA.

Did you try restarting the tab while it was connected to the PC? This is almost always the issue with me.

Reactions: ashishb

ashishb

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey desiG - thanks for the tip. I haven't tried this and will do so for sure tonight. Played around with Kies here at the office all morning today installing/uninstalling, restarting PC, tab, and all sorts of combinations with no luck. Will hopefully have luck with this tonight. With the way things are going, I'll probably get the OTA before I can try:)
Thanks again - I appreciate.

rebornr

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if your Tab is rooted if the OTA update will still show up as available? I've rooted my Tab but have found that after installing Overcome I never really change ROMs or anything like that. I'm thinking about unrooting and then using the OTA update to get ICS but want to know if it's available before I do it. I assume that I will have to reload and all my apps, settings and prefs will go 'poof' correct? I'm in the SF Bay Area (Marin) and so far it shows no update.

ENstig8or

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Like others, nothing OTA here in NJ for me. I did install Kies on my Win 7 box this afternoon and it immediately found the update and applied it with no hassles. ICS is running great.

zoyano

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Was tired of waiting for OTA here in FL, so I DL Kies and updated that way. Will see if my wife's tab get's the OTA later or I might just have to do hers through Kies also.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Maine and when I check for update it keeps saying "check for update is not available at this time"? What is up with that? I'm still running Gingerbread but I have the chance to switch to the SG2. Anybody have any advice on which I should keep the Atrix 2 or the SG2?

You're in the wrong section. Check before posting next time. This is the Samsung Galaxy TABLET section.

prashramani12

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Couple questions:

A few days ago, I flashed the UK version on my tablet. Will I still be able to update to the US version/ is there any point to doing so? i dont think there are any differences between the two.

and also, if I do/can update to the US version, is there any way to keep my homescreen setup? I dont feel like changing it again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allirose