Images deleted from camera gallery not going away

draftpeppin

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I tried asking this on the official Google Pixel forum and the Google Photos forum but haven't found an answer yet.

It started when I noticed about a half dozen photos taken over a few days time period were not showing the 'motion' (couple seconds of "video" before and after the photo is snapped) in Android, even though it displayed fine on the Photos website using Chrome on my laptop.

I deleted the local version from the camera album/folder and put the files onto my desktop Pictures folder, which is set to sync with Backup and Sync.

That brought them into photos.google.com just fine and they go into motion as expected. I can view them in the Photos app on the phone just fine, but they never go into motion. All other photos before and after this string of them work just fine.

But the weirder and bigger issue for me is that if I take another picture and it populates the Camera album, these problematic pictures all come back and show up in the Camera album. But as soon as I delete the newer pictures, these problematic pictures no longer display in the Camera album and are just visible in the Photos app (and photos web version) as I'd expect.

For what it's worth, I discovered the following interesting distinctions when in Google Photos on Android and looking at a given photo's "Info":

Photos that are still locally stored on the phone (taken recently by the camera and in the Camera Album) have a file name format of: /storage/emulated/0/dcim/camera/mvimg_20180322-201557.jpg

Photos that have been deleted from the phone and are just stored in Google Photos have a file name format of: MVIMG_20180317_125211.jpg or 2018-03-03 17.07.25.jpg

These reappearing ones that are causing me problems have a file name format of:
/external/images/media/9763 (on Android) and 2018-03-07 15.05.58.jpg on Google Photos on the web.

Weird that the Android version doesn't have the .jpg and that it has this "external/images" path. None of my file management apps seem to be taking me to this "external/images" directory, either, so I can't see if the photos are truly coming back to local storage.

The "motion" issue is really not a big deal at this point. What I'd like to understand is how these photos keep showing up in the local gallery with the strange file name/path.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej