Installing official update

dvdmrn

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded this update which I felt lucky about since I cannot do it OTA thru AT&T (not living in the US)
however the method listed on that site does not work and it seems it's not only for me.
Any ideas on how I can apply this update?

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I downloaded this update which I felt lucky about since I cannot do it OTA thru AT&T (not living in the US)
however the method listed on that site does not work and it seems it's not only for me.
Any ideas on how I can apply this update?

If you have not tampered with the phone (unlock bootloader, root, s-off, etc.) you can flash an RUU. But be aware that it is somewhat dangerous.

dvdmrn

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
I attempted to apply the official update to jellybean. Which is why I used ur toolkit and got the custom recovery but I couldn't install it using TWRP

Posted via Android Central App

Timmaaa

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I attempted to apply the official update to jellybean. Which is why I used ur toolkit and got the custom recovery but I couldn't install it using TWRP

Posted via Android Central App

You can't flash an OTA with a custom recovery, it can only be installed using the stock recovery. Also, what OS is currently installed on your device? Unless you have the correct preceding OS for the OTA to build onto it won't work, or it'll damage your phone. Another thing to consider is the fact that if you've unlocked your bootloader at some point you'll have SuperCID, another thing that won't allow an OTA to install.

If you desperately want to run the at&t stock 4.1 ROM you will need to get s-off on your device and run the 3.18 RUU. If you attempt to run the 3.18 RUU while s-on you will brick your phone, please be aware of that. I'm not sure why you'd want to run the at&t stock ROM though, there are features deliberately broken/missing on at&t ROMs, plus 4.1 is getting old now. Why don't you flash a custom ROM? That way you can have all features working, Sense 5, and the 4.2.2 Android version.

Either way you're gonna need s-off before doing anything.

Sent from my Evita

dvdmrn

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
You can't flash an OTA with a custom recovery, it can only be installed using the stock recovery. Also, what OS is currently installed on your device? Unless you have the correct preceding OS for the OTA to build onto it won't work, or it'll damage your phone. Another thing to consider is the fact that if you've unlocked your bootloader at some point you'll have SuperCID, another thing that won't allow an OTA to install.

If you desperately want to run the at&t stock 4.1 ROM you will need to get s-off on your device and run the 3.18 RUU. If you attempt to run the 3.18 RUU while s-on you will brick your phone, please be aware of that. I'm not sure why you'd want to run the at&t stock ROM though, there are features deliberately broken/missing on at&t ROMs, plus 4.1 is getting old now. Why don't you flash a custom ROM? That way you can have all features working, Sense 5, and the 4.2.2 Android version.

Either way you're gonna need s-off before doing anything.

Sent from my Evita

Thanks a million for being clear. I guess you are right, the reason I'm worried about updating to a non official OS is mostly memory/battery consumption and stability.
But I would guess this is the best way being a non-US customer, now as far as I understand when the phone is s-off it would show on the screen where it says tampered, am I correct?
I've seen a few custom ROMs but all of them mention having CWM not TWRP, is the ROM specific to a recovery or can I use either?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson