[Instruction] How to get a new phone and keep (legacy) Unlimited Data on Verizon

bcharron117

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Re: [Instruction] How to Keep Unlimited Data on Verizon

Do NOT put the new sim card in it. Call verizon and have them take it off.

Posted via Android Central App

Sorry, for clarification, I meant put new sim card in and activate on dumb phone line.... then do the switch. I know never to put new sim in UDP line.

Last edited:

senior_chupon

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Verizon: How to keep Unlimited Data and get phone on subsidized price

My account has 2 lines, primary(UDP w/ eligible upgrade) and a dummy line(non-smartphone) which is loaned out. Does the best buy loophole still work? I took a couple screenshots from what came up when I go thru the process, It allows me to "keep current plan" on the first window but on the second the 'Line Access Fee' scares me with its description... screenshots below

View attachment 125892View attachment 125893

I'd like to know this as well. I planned on upgrading at full retail to avoid the UDP loss but if I can get it at a subsidized price and still keep UD I'm all for it. But this part had me worried.

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

Sorry, for clarification, I meant put new sim card in and activate on dumb phone line.... then do the switch. I know member to put new sim in UDP line.

Technically you could do that.

pawsmith

May 24, 2014
Visit site

I placed my order last night and just received an email telling me that my phone has been shipped. I do not have the primary line but I do have account manager status--don't know if that makes a difference or not. Just wanted to post this because I know some people have been getting an error email message when trying to upgrade their secondary line but I had no such issues.

I will post an update after I get the phone and install my old SIM, but so far so good.

shortwave8669

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site

I WONDER if this same online purchase/SIM swap would work at Amazon.com????

I notice the same questions about upgrade/ new line of service and requirement for VZW credentials when putting a smartphone in my shopping cart at Amazon.

Anyone know for sure, one way or another?

Hi2Jenn

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site

When I went through the Amazon site, before you finish paying, you have to choose a new data package. I know it says keep same account, but no, it doesn't work. I'm not sure if BB will work anymore either. Ugh! I don't think Verizon should have done away with unlimited data with an upgrade. It's poor customer service, but hey, I'm just a peon.

thefanmyj

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Just took advantage of the BB holiday sale. $149 to upgrade to an S5 plus a $50 gift card as a thank you. Order went through without a problem. Thanks to everyone here for the tips in this thread! I'll post results of the upgrade when I get the phone next week.

zettler

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Re: Best Buy Mobile lets me keep Unlimited Data Plan on Verizon?

New here but not to Droids and Verizon...

I have been trying to upgrade one of my grandfathered UDP lines (primary, mine, a Samsung Galaxy S3 same as the other UDP line) tonight and have finally got into the Best Buy website but no where do I see where I can change eligibility from one of my two (ELIGIBLE) upgrade eligible (since 2013) DUMB cell phones (a Casio Boulder OR a LG EnVy2).

I need a caretaker so I do not screw up. The two lines with UDP (both are Samsung Galaxy S3's) are eligible for an upgrade tomorrow, July 7 BUT I am told I need to order the new Galaxy S5 (which is the model I am trying to order) on on one of my secondary lines from my Family Plan and then activate it for my primary.

I have read several threads on different forums (SlickDeals, Howard and here) and it must be that I am just in information overload or just too dense to follow basic directions...so that is why I ask here, as I have elsewhere, specifically how to go about it so I do NOT LOSE my UDP on either of my two lines.

Thank you in advance!!!!

zettler

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

New here but not to Droids and Verizon...

I have been trying to upgrade one of my grandfathered UDP lines (primary, mine, a Samsung Galaxy S3 same as the other UDP line) tonight and have finally got into the Best Buy website but no where do I see where I can change eligibility from one of my two (ELIGIBLE) upgrade eligible (since 2013) DUMB cell phones (a Casio Boulder OR a LG EnVy2).

I need a caretaker so I do not screw up. The two lines with UDP (both are Samsung Galaxy S3's) are eligible for an upgrade tomorrow, July 7 BUT I am told I need to order the new Galaxy S5 (which is the model I am trying to order) on on one of my secondary lines from my Family Plan and then activate it for my primary.

I have read several threads on different forums (SlickDeals, Howard and here) and it must be that I am just in information overload or just too dense to follow basic directions...so that is why I ask here, as I have elsewhere, specifically how to go about it so I do NOT LOSE my UDP on either of my two lines.

Thank you in advance!!!!

excelsisba

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site

Just took advantage of the BB holiday sale. $149 to upgrade to an S5 plus a $50 gift card as a thank you. Order went through without a problem. Thanks to everyone here for the tips in this thread! I'll post results of the upgrade when I get the phone next week.

I also got to take advantage of the $50 gift card! Hated having to pay the $35 upgrade fee but if I get to keep my UDP then I guess I won't complain too much. :)

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

From my understanding it only works with the primary line.

I upgraded my secondary line with BB and had no problems. I am an account holder, so not sure if that's why.

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

I've added Asurian insurance after the buy on a dumb phone switch to UDP method. I called them, told them where the phone came from, they checked the MEID to confirm it came from then and was new and added it no problem. They didn't seem concerned that I kept my unlimited they just wanted to make sure the phone was one of theirs. They probably just want to make sure they weren't insuring some gray market phone from eBay or Amazon or something. Perhaps when you call to add insurance it's a different department than the one that deals in plans because they didn't seem to care.

When I've checked my account online, it shows my s5 and that I still have Asurian insurance. Do I have to still call Asurian or Verizon to make sure that it applies to my phone? I just assumed that the Asurian insurance automatically transfers to the new phone.....

UDPGuy

Jun 21, 2014
Visit site

I also got to take advantage of the $50 gift card! Hated having to pay the $35 upgrade fee but if I get to keep my UDP then I guess I won't complain too much. :)

I was never charged an upgrade fee when I did it this way. :)

MULDER69

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site

I tried to do the upgrade through best buy website, but it won't allow me to purchase online. I can't get past this screen:

Attachments

• screenshot.png
    screenshot.png
    201.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

hazelgreen

May 27, 2011
Visit site

Mulder, is it because you are upgrading through the Edge program? That's the only reason I can think of. BTW, you might want to change the screenshot as it shows your phone number.....

thefanmyj

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm nervous. Still nothing besides the confirmation email. I hope this thing ships without a problem. And yeah, I don't mind the $35 fee if it means keeping my UDP.

MrPib

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

I tried to do the upgrade through best buy website, but it won't allow me to purchase online. I can't get past this screen:View attachment 126461

That happened to me as well. Used the BB mobile site from my phone and it worked just fine. And I was able to capture screenshots showing no data plan changes.