Insurance

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchased handset insurance?

I have had insurance for many, many years. But when I dropped Sprint and moved to T-Mobile with the N5, I didn't get insurance. Sprint was charging $11 per month, then fees on top of that. And then there is the totally insane $150 deductible. After a year, you could buy any phone on Ebay for that price or close to it.

I never made a single claim. It was a stupid rip-off game that I should have stopped playing years and years ago... at least when they unreasonably bumped the prices/deductibles. I am a careful and responsible phone owner and shouldn't have to pay for every 15 year child's and absent-minded adult's phone issues.

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
Not on my n5. The deductible on sprint and monthly rates are a joke. I could buy a new phone from Google off contract at almost the same price. I do have the total equipment insurance on my wife's iPhone though. Its a 200 dollar deductible then vs the ridiculous off contract price of an iPhone. That's where it makes sense. Coincidentally, this is one of the reasons I switch from an iPhone to n5.

Posted via Android Central App

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone purchased handset insurance?
I purchased Square Trade to cover my Nexus 5.

$75 deductible. And they will only cover repairs totaling what your phone costs. And you need to keep the receipt for your phone...it is required whenever you make a claim. Mine is about $6 a month I think. But they cover everything, even water damage. If I had had this on my cruise, it would have saved me about $350.

Cell Phone Insurance - Cell Phone Warranty - Cellphone Insurance

EDIT - Does not cover theft or loss, but will cover any actual damage, even if you caused it.

Last edited:

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Or see if your credit card will cover it.
My bank's Mastercard covers my mobile phone as long as I pay the monthly cellphone bill with it (including accidental damage).

(If you bought your phone from google play and paid using a credit card) Most major credit cards will extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year (Note: accidental damage is not included in manufacturer warranty) - most major cards will also provide 90 days or so of accident/theft from date of purchase - check your credit card benefits to confirm of course.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have insurance from Verizon, it is $5.18 per month and $99 deductible for my note 3

When comparing insurance, make sure to compare coverage (some don't cover loss or theft), claim limit, and deductible.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Or see if your credit card will cover it.
My bank's Mastercard covers my mobile phone as long as I pay the monthly cellphone bill with it (including accidental damage).

(If you bought your phone from google play and paid using a credit card) Most major credit cards will extend the manufacturer's warranty by a year (Note: accidental damage is not included in manufacturer warranty) - most major cards will also provide 90 days or so of accident/theft from date of purchase - check your credit card benefits to confirm of course.

Make sure to read the terms closely. I know American express purchase protection is 90 days but only covers up to $300 and explicitly excludes cell phones

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Make sure to read the terms closely.
Absolutely!

I know American express purchase protection is 90 days but only covers up to $300 and explicitly excludes cell phones
See above :) My Amex card's terms do not exclude cellphones, and cover "up to $1,000 for any one Covered Incident and up to $50,000 for all Covered Incidents during a calendar year" for purchase protection benefit. Different cards have different provisions, so absolutely, read the terms very closely.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have SquareTrade as well. $125 for 2 years (a little over $5/month), but currently, I noticed a sale on their website that brings it down to $99. As mentioned above, no theft protection, but I'm concerned mostly about damage. The $75 deductible is much better than when I had Asurion on Verizon. For me, the key time for insurance is in the first few months, where accidental damage can be a real bummer--may not be covered by your credit card, certainly not covered by warranty. It's good peace of mind for me to know that if I thrashed this phone by accident, I only need to pay $75 instead of $400 to get another.

Posted via Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I hear Square Trade offers a fantastic insurance. I have Sprint and recently had to get a replacement for a damaged screen. Paid $100 for the replacement and it came the next business day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

neocarla

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I also have Squaretrade. My screen got cracked on the corner, and I they gave me the option to have it repaired locally and they would reimbursement once I sent in the receipt, or I could send it in to them for repair. Luckily I still had my Galaxy S3, so I paid the deductible, sent my phone in on a Friday, and received it back the following Friday.

I must say this though, my black Nexus 5 was repaired and working as it should. However, Squaretrade repaired it with the case that goes with the white Nexus 5. Initially, I was perturbed; I called their customer service; they apologized, and asked me to send it back so they can correct it. After using it over the weeked, I decided to keep it. I think it's kinda cool to have the black version, with the white earpiece grill on the front. Because I must admit, on many many occasions, I would pick up my phone and if the screen wasn't on, I'd have to figure out which end is right side up.

I've attached a picture of how it looks.
20140215_100227.jpg

Attachments

• 20140215_100101.jpg
    20140215_100101.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 15