iOS 7 vs Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
So Ford Pinto is equal to a corvette? It's just a matter of taste? I am guessing most people would disagree with you and would rather have the corvette.

I did give a specific context though...I asked about features. No one has been able to give an example of something iOS can do that Android can't.

Android has all of iOSs features. The reverse is not true.

I disagree that they are not the same. They are the same in the same way that a corvette and a porche are the same...they are both sports cars. No one would say "OMG how dare you try to compare them, Corvettes are totally different from Porches".

Likewise, iOS and Android are both smartphone OSes. That are similar in the exact same way that Porches and Corvettes are similar. And it is rational to compare them against each other for the same reasons. They are sold in the same stores, and for the same purpose. People use them for the same things.

Blackberry and Palm used to be fully developed and successful as well. Then something better came along.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you. Anything I would say in this response would be a reiteration of what I previously posted. I'll spare us both the senseless back and forth. Enjoy your "victory."

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm not going to bother arguing with you.
So far, no one has been able to refute my points. It is not an ego thing...I really want to see what their arguments are. But no one wants to go into specifics.

And I definitely do not understand why it is unreasonable to compare phone OSes. Consumers themselves do it all the time. That is how iOS became popular in the first place.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a mess...

So we're comparing Android to iOS, which is somehow relevant to apples and their orange counterparts, while thus saying that a Ford Pinto is equivalent to a Corvette, but only if the Corvette is equivalent to a Porsche?!

Notice how stupid that sounds. I hate to be the one to crush your ego, hopes, and dreams, but this is how stupid most of you sound.

You're comparing two totally different OSs, trying to claim that one is better than the other... you do realize that this decision can be made on only opinions right? Facts won't change anything here. Only strongly opinionated, egotistical morons will rage over what someone says about an OS. iOS isn't for everyone. Android isn't for everyone.

And you know what? THAT'S OKAY! Competition benefits all of us in the end, so why is this thread still open? I see it as pointless. Just like arguing how Apple copied everyone else to get iOS 7. That is where patent trolling starts and I really don't want any more of that.

Does anyone else have an unbiased mind that is clear enough to understand? Jeebus...

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
You're comparing two totally different OSs, trying to claim that one is better than the other...
And it is clearly wrong to compare things that are different. You cannot compare a Sony TV to a Magnavox...they are completely different brands! Of course you cannot compare them with each other. What are people thinking.

you do realize that this decision can be made on only opinions right?
You do realize that features help to form opinions, right?

Facts won't change anything here.
Especially when they are not presented. I am still waiting for someone to give me examples of what iOS does that Android cannot.

Android isn't for everyone.
Just most people.

so why is this thread still open?
Because people are allowed to express opinion you don't like?

It is hilarious when someone comes into a thread like this simply to tell everyone else they are egotistical morons for having an opinion on a discussion forum.

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I would say that Android has more features and is open to more add ons/customization, hardware choices (features for short), iOS reportedly is more polished and easier to use, more consistent across devices (4/4s/5 for example) - (ease of use for short).

How people value features vs./ease of use depends on the individual.

At the extreme, it would be easy to say one is better than the other - i.e. if iPhone lacked many signficant features, or if android was incredibly difficult to use, then everyone could probably agree which is best.

As it is, the balance of features/ease of use is not too extreme, so it is debatable which is "best" and depends on the individual.

For me, Android is best and it is difficult for me to understand how people can be aware of the advantages of android and still feel iOS is best. For others, iOS is best and they find it difficult to understand how I can feel Android is best.

But, rational, informed individuals can prefer either system, more so with iOS7 than with prior versions I think.

Having said that many who prefer one system or the other are neither rational or informed. :D

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

JoeyyNY

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I am fine with my Note II , No thanks Apple.. Why downgrade from a beautiful 5.5inch AMOLED screen to a 4inch?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using AC Forums mobile app

SCjRqrQCnBQ19QoYCtdl

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
And it is clearly wrong to compare things that are different. You cannot compare a Sony TV to a Magnavox...they are completely different brands! Of course you cannot compare them with each other. What are people thinking.

Especially when they are not presented. I am still waiting for someone to give me examples of what iOS does that Android cannot.

Just most people.

It is hilarious when someone comes into a thread like this simply to tell everyone else they are egotistical morons for having an opinion on a discussion forum.

Regarding my earlier comment about rational informed people preferring either system, as far as I am concerned, anyone coming on android forums and arguing ad nauseum that iOS is superior doesn't seem very rational.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple's benefits over Android come in the form of their ecosystem...but the OS itself is clearly not better. It does nothing that Android does not already do, and Android actually does even more.

Apple is a great solution is you do not care about the things iOS can't do, and you have deep pockets. For those people, I would say Apple is a great solution. They are clearly not the majority, but they do exist. I think Apple will always have a niche market for that reason.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Thank you for proving my point.

Yes, however all I've been reading here is strongly opinionated comments that really doesn't contribute to the discussion without resulting in a slight rage.

For most consumers, stupid levels of simplicity. Android tends to overload people with customization, especially TouchWiz. Stock Android and Sense are simpler, but maybe not simple enough for some.

Just most people.

False.

I fixed your post with my opinions :p
I don't care what people think. All of your opinions are valid, I was simply trying to stop someone like you from starting an all out flame war. However you seem strongly motivated to do so, but I doubt it will last long.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't care what people think.
Posting here is an indication that you care. Responding to posts is a clear indication you care.

All of your opinions are valid, I was simply trying to stop someone like you from starting an all out flame war.
A little late for that. But coming into a thread and screaming "OMG everyone who has an opinion I don't like is a moron!!1!1!" is probably not the best way to stop a flame war.

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't care what people think. All of your opinions are valid, I was simply trying to stop someone like you from starting an all out flame war. However you seem strongly motivated to do so, but I doubt it will last long.

To be fair, I haven't seen anything inflammatory on his part here, especially given the title of the thread, I'd say it's pretty on topic.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Posting here is an indication that you care. Responding to posts is a clear indication you care.

A little late for that. But coming into a thread and scream "OMG everyone who has an opinion I don't like is a moron!!1!1!" is probably not the best way to stop a flame war.

I let people have their opinions. I do not care if they contradict mine.

But person I think you're just totally missing the point in an effort to make me look bad (it looks like you've been doing that s lot here...) by saying I'm calling everyone with an opinion a moron. No. False. People who rage and lose control over others opinions to the point where it is a yelling and screaming match do not need to be posting. Their defense of their cause is blown way out of proportion. Chetan has remained fairly calm in stating his opinions, but other members continually try to bash them. It's the start of something ugly.

charkzilla20

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I used to concede this point, but not any longer. The Nexus 4 has been rock-solid for me...as stable as any iPhone I have seen so far.

The stability thing is largely a myth anyway. iOS is simply more clever at covering up app crashes, but they actually have more.

Do iOS Apps Crash More Than Android Apps? A Data Dive - Forbes

That's really interesting! :) thanks for opening my eyes to that.
Although the article is a little bit outdated. Maybe ios7 will crash a lot more or less. :/

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
But person I think you're just totally missing the point in an effort to make me look bad
If you think my goal is to make you look bad, you are mistaken.

It seems a little arrogant to charge into a thread and declare everyone a moron because they are discussing something in a way you don't like.

Chetan has remained fairly calm in stating his opinions
Uh huh. Like here:

You couldn't be further from the truth I'll destroy your pathetic points when I get on my laptop.
I guess it is fairly calm in the sense that he did not use excessive punctuation.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
If you want to continue this conversation, please do so through pm. It is not appropriate to call out other members in a third party public conversation. Let get this thread back on topic, please.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
From a biological standpoint, I think it might still be accurate to state that Android resembles iOS7 or that in reverse if they both seem to resemble a common ancestor. iOS7 might not be inheriting it's traits from Android, but it's clearly possible for two separate operating system species evolving at the same time under similar conditions, especially given a common ancestor in very recent generations, to develop in parallel for a time. Even without the common ancestor so closely preceding them, two species with the same basic originating structure, inhabiting the same space with the same resources used, etc. would be expected to develop common traits through natural selection. So while it might not be accurate to state that iOS stole from Android or vice versa, it could still be fair to state that their resemblances to each other and their common ancestor(s) do exist.

That's a fair understanding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

anon5664829

Banned
Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Play Store App. Settings. "Auto-Update apps" -> Choices include "Do not update (manual only), "Auto-updates at any time", and "Auto-update only on wifi".

To do it on a per-app basis, disable all updates in settings. Then go to an individual app and open the menu (three dots in the corner)...select the "auto update" box. Only that app will be updated on auto from now on. Go to any other apps you want and check the box to add them to the auto-update list (new apps you install will have the box checked by default). Ta-daa.

You do not have to rely on google to decide what to update and when...you get to decide it yourself. If iOS decides to update something you do not want updated, you are SoL...Apple makes that decision, not you.

NO APPLE DOES NOT,I was talking about in multitasking. In multitasking to save battery iOS will automatically kill apps you don't use frequently and update your Facebook feed if you use it. Apple also has options to disable auto app updating app by app.
I have yet to come across any limits on the folders in Nova Launcher. Just as an experiment, I tried to stuff as many icons as I could in a folder on my desktop...I stopped counting at 40. It is still there though, I could test beyond that if you want. The folder is so full it has become scrollable, heh heh.

Why would you need folders on Android anyway? All your icons are already in a giant folder called the app drawer. You can take them out and put them wherever you want. Arrange them however you want. What setup (icon arrangement) are you looking for that cannot be replicated in Android?

Strange,stock I hit a limit of 20 icons.
If you enjoy being told what you like, then Apple is definitely the platform for you.

But the capability limitations you are claiming about Android are simply wrong.

So what? Android does not lock you into their stock launcher like Apple does. That is the point of Android...the phone is what YOU want it to be, not what Apple wants it to be.

Changing launchers is an example of 3rd party app integration, and is Android's killer feature over iOS. It is the reason you are never stuck with one browser or desktop or email program...any program can become the default, just like on a PC. Even Maps.

Uh huh...please give us an example of a specific setting that iOS has in the control center that is not present on the Nexus 4 or cannot be added.

3G toggle, don't see it on my Nexus 4.
That is incorrect. Tapping on a notification will launch whatever app is attached to that notification.
Are you seriously thinking I meant that?[/U]the control centre has 3 apps there camera,calculator and photos for convenience. WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THE NOTIFICATION CENTRE.
How long have you had the Nexus? Have you used it at all? This is basic stuff.

Samsung does not have to. All the apps that work on the Nexus work just as well on the Galaxy phones. Touchwiz is just Android with a customization skin.

Outside of the US Android's lead is dramatically higher than inside the US. Outside the US Android marketshare is over 75%.

What country do you live in? I am willing to bet most people there who have smartphones are using Android.
New Zealand. They all have crappy android phones, not flagships so that's not a fair comparison. That being said most people I've seen have iPhones.
You have failed to demonstrate it. You have not shown how iOS is actually better in any way. Most of your opinions appear to be based on incorrect assumptions about Android's capabilities.

You just can't seem to name any specifically.

I think that is really the issue...you have decided iOS ad you will never let facts get in the way of that, heh heh. You gloated about "destroying" my argument and the exact opposite has happened. Your laptop did not help you very much.

Your inability to read and understand iOS 7's new features makes me sad.a

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bakky