iPhone 7+ to Pixel 3 need feedback

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Hello people,

Well the time has come for my hardware upgrade, I’ve been using the iPhone 7+ for 2 years and it’s been great for the most part but I refuse to pay the prices of X or XS, especially how I’m not a fan of the current iPhone design.

Pixel 3 (not XL) is what I’m looking to preorder, as I’ll get the stand free. My last android was a 6P which I loved for the first year until it started having a ton of problems and I moved to iPhone as I got a deal.

A couple of questions I have regarding android as it’s been two years and would appreciate some feedback.

1. Backup options? I like iOS because I could take a save state backup but android didn’t have that in past so they now? Not speaking about google account backups but a full system like iOS.

2. Android auto performance. I used android auto with 6P and worked great, CarPlay has some quirks (mostly related to podcast app). How’s android auto these days? Good experience with pixel 2?

3. Android pay/wallet. Does it work well? I love Apple Pay, confirmed my bank supports it. Any issues known that Apple Pay works but android pay doesn’t (guess for people who use both OS)?

4. iMessage is the thing I’m most disappointed to be giving up but it is what it is. I actually like the google messaging stock app a lot but was super basic, has it evolved in last 2 years? Are there embedded apps for the messanger that support gifs? iMessage has a # app I enjoyed to quickly find gifs to text(mms) to ppl.

5. I’ve got AirPods and love them, they should work with android. Any pixel 2 users with AirPods? If so how’s the experience? Ya I don’t care about Siri integration I never used it anyway.

Appreciate any feedback I can get on above.

Last edited:

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
1. No. Account backup only.

2. Not versed enough. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will respond.

3. Google Pay works the exact same as Apple Pay through NFC. In fact Google Pay is on iOS, perhaps try it out.

4. Messages is great, though I think you may want to consider Textra or Pulse as competitive solutions.

5. I don't have Airpods, but from what I've read they should work fine.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Umbrokhan

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
you forgot to mention that iPhone gets 6 year's of Major updates
also Apple has Local store's to help its customer's
iPhone has better Re-sale value than any android phone's,.
iPhone Protects your privacy and data

Google Pixel 3 XL get's 3 years Major updates,
Google don't have Local store to help customers.

if you like big chin and big notch, then get Pixel 3 XL
if you like Google taking your privacy and data to make money on adverts then get Google Pixel 3 XL.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site

if you like Google taking your privacy and data to make money on adverts then get Google Pixel 3 XL.

Lol somebody is getting decisive that people are turning away from Apple design. 6 years support...very few people keep phones for that long and considering iPhones seem to grind to slow after 2 years...id hate to think what it was like after 6.

The reality is that many, myself included see that notch and decide to get an alternative. The new iPhones are quite simply hideous and the same is true of the pixel XL. Customers deserve better for their money.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Lol somebody is getting decisive that people are turning away from Apple design. 6 years support...very few people keep phones for that long and considering iPhones seem to grind to slow after 2 years...id hate to think what it was like after 6.

The reality is that many, myself included see that notch and decide to get an alternative. The new iPhones are quite simply hideous and the same is true of the pixel XL. Customers deserve better for their money.

I am by no means a fan boy of either iOS or Android, I actually think both OS are amazing and have (what I consider) minor flaw design choices. With that said your second paragraph is true for me, I don’t like the notch, hate Face ID, not a fan of the design of the new iPhones and the cost of the X/XS in Canada is absurd. The pixel 3 is so competitively priced and I know it’s a quality product that I don’t mind stepping away from iOS for 2 years, in that time I’ll reconsider what apples got to offer.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
only Geeks, tech nerds, enthusiast change they phone every year or every few months.

average Joe won't

I change my phone every 2 years as per my contract renewals, in Canadian less affordable to buy phones outright (although many donit even through financing) plus I get a big discount on my monthly fees so prefer the contract route.

Wbutchart

May 27, 2016
Visit site
I am by no means a fan boy of either iOS or Android, I actually think both OS are amazing and have (what I consider) minor flaw design choices. With that said your second paragraph is true for me, I don’t like the notch, hate Face ID, not a fan of the design of the new iPhones and the cost of the X/XS in Canada is absurd. The pixel 3 is so competitively priced and I know it’s a quality product that I don’t mind stepping away from iOS for 2 years, in that time I’ll reconsider what apples got to offer.
That's kinda the approach I did, I left apple two years ago when I saw the leaks for the X. Got the s8 which is a fantastic phone. So many useful features packed into it. The one drawback is the inconsistent updates which makes me feel Samsung are not as reliable as I would like for my next phone.

I still have my iPad and like iOS on that. But the phones just seem so average and poorly thought out now. I can't imagine having heard and read the stories of Steve Jobs that notch would exist now, it would have ended up in the fish tank like a few other prototypes.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

You are everywhere lol
I'm curious what devices you using or have ?