Is anti virus necessary?

bobby james

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry guys, I'm still very new to Android. My friend told me to install an anti virus app from the market. I've never heard of anti virus for a phone (been an iphone user for 4 years, go easy on me). Is it really necessary to have one? If so, what are some of the better ones?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Although virus's havent been the mainstream headline grabber for Android yet, rogue apps are, specifically those containing malware.

Call it "peace of mind" when you install an anti-v on your device. You must remember, The Android Market, unlike apple's market, does not certify apps before developers submit them for distribution. The Android Market will wait until people complain before they remove an app.Usually it is Malware.

In theory, ant-v apps are supposed to scan an app after installation. Also, they have device tracking features and some other useful items.

There are several on the market, some free along with their paid versions.

I use AVG as they've been around for awhile.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you are savvy about what you are downloading and watch what permissions an app is requesting you'll be fine. Like Moscow said, and anti-virus will give you piece of mind but isn't necessary. Remember, smart phones are mobile pc's. They can be susceptible to malware if you are not careful with what is downloaded.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
One more important note; if you Root your device, pretty much everything you install will be tagged as a Threat. Just ignore it. Like Rom Manager, SetCpu, file managers etc.

If I remember, the paid versions may allow you to set "exclusions" for certain apps that require root access.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I came to these forums to ask the same question. News about Avast Beta came out today, but I just don't know if A/V is REALLY necessary yet. I'm careful about what I install, and I don't root. I think I'll avoid A/V for now.

The article caught my eye because I use Avast free edition on all my PCs.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Only for peace of mind. Do I run it?

Yes, on my phone, but not on my tab.

Have recently been thinking about Lookout Security.

But, you don;t have to be rooted to worry about rogue apps. Can happen to unrooted devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastura24