Is it stupid to have two of the same phone?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
If you like the phone, and would hate to change or "upgrade," then having an exact backup is not a bad idea. Something happens to your primary phone like a broken screen or just a general failure, take out the backup phone, plug it in, restore from backup file, and you're up and running.

The danger is having an older phone as carriers upgrade their networks. 3G is all but gone in the U.S. 4G is falling by the wayside. Now it's all about 5G and all its iterations. By the time we have 6G who knows what fate will befall 4G?

You're bang-on about having that secondary phone as a back-up. What a great idea! I've never thought about the "as technology progresses" issue with networks. That is a really good point! Scary to think about for those of us who have older phones as back-ups!

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
You're bang-on about having that secondary phone as a back-up. What a great idea! I've never thought about the "as technology progresses" issue with networks. That is a really good point! Scary to think about for those of us who have older phones as back-ups!

The network issue only came up recently when my parents, both spry and in their 80s, were notified that their old flip phones would lose service shortly. The decision kind of made itself.

I had a BlackBerry for the longest time and kept one as a backup/change of pace device. Eventually I was unable to activate it at all. Sad day for a BlackBerry devotee like me! I'm talking about BB7, not BB10 or Android. For me the music died with BB7.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
The network issue only came up recently when my parents, both spry and in their 80s, were notified that their old flip phones would lose service shortly. The decision kind of made itself.

I had a BlackBerry for the longest time and kept one as a backup/change of pace device. Eventually I was unable to activate it at all. Sad day for a BlackBerry devotee like me! I'm talking about BB7, not BB10 or Android. For me the music died with BB7.

Oh okay! I see what you're saying! I have an Honor 8 that I LOVE but if I fired it up it would be about six years behind in updates.

Oh man, I LOVE BlackBerry phones! I really liked my Q10 and my Bold 9780. It's a sad day when you beloved phone won't even power on. :(

I always wanted to try a BlackBerry Torch -- an ingenious innovation -- but that never happened!

ras47

Mar 21, 2021
Visit site
I remember when the Torch was released. I almost changed carriers to get it but I was happy with Verizon. The Torch debuted on AT&T in the U.S. Nifty piece of kit in it's day!

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I remember when the Torch was released. I almost changed carriers to get it but I was happy with Verizon. The Torch debuted on AT&T in the U.S. Nifty piece of kit in it's day!

It absolutely was! Half touchscreen with a slide-out keyboard. SO innovative!

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
These carriers need to stop with these deals. Sort of, helping a friend with his plan and he's not a fan of android so he gave it to me.

Add another Pixel to my life.

My 7 Lemongrass is coming in a few days.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I am very guilty of having multiple of the same phone. Last year for a stretch I had 3 x S22U’s and have two iphone 14 PMs. Most wouldn’t understand but its the same reason why someone would have 2 x 2023 Lamborghini Aventadors. Sometimes you like something so much you want more than 1 of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I am very guilty of having multiple of the same phone. Last year for a stretch I had 3 x S22U’s and have two iphone 14 PMs. Most wouldn’t understand but its the same reason why someone would have 2 x 2023 Lamborghini Aventadors. Sometimes you like something so much you want more than 1 of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Were they all different colors?

Sent from my SM-S918U using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech