Is it worth upgrading ?

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 from last year that I have zero problems with. Is the new version truly so much better that's it's worth another 250 at this time ?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jaboop

Feb 6, 2013
Visit site
Nope ): the 5mp camera is nothing to get excited about but if you read a lot of ebooks then yes mostly because of the thinker lighter design along with a faster processor :) If you basically use it for email web surfing and fruit ninja then the 2012 is good nuff.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
For me it was worth the upgrade as my old one was becoming pretty sluggish with general tasks. The nicer screen and cpu was worth it for sure. I will likely mess with old one and put some custom roms on it or new kernel if possible, speed it up a little bit.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
For me it was worth the upgrade as my old one was becoming pretty sluggish with general tasks. The nicer screen and cpu was worth it for sure. I will likely mess with old one and put some custom roms on it or new kernel if possible, speed it up a little bit.

Flashing the 4.3 system image (instead of just the update file or OTA) would probably have taken care of that for ya. Mine feels like a new device since doing that.

That bring said, I ordered a 32gb version of the new one anyway for the faster processor and better screen. The camera may be nothing special but at least it has one now. I don't take pics with a tablet generally but its nice to be able to use it as a barcode scanner or for other purposes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 from last year that I have zero problems with. Is the new version truly so much better that's it's worth another 250 at this time ?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I have both the orig N7 and the N7 FHD (2013) and I'll have to say the new one is worth every penny.
I looked at the old one after using the new one for a couple of weeks and I could see the pixels and everything looked blurry.
The screen is waay better! It's brighter, more responsive and less 'creaky' if you know what I mean.
The body is more solid, thinner and lighter.
The new speakers are very good and never distort. Surround sound is good, but they still could be louder.
The rear camera is full HD and opens up the use of many apps that need a rear cam like 'Smart Tools'.
The front cam, rear cam and light sensor is offset from center so you can hold it in landscape and still use them.
The camera app is a system app with cool photosphere feature.
It supports HDMI out, but with an expensive adapter.
It supports mic inputs through the headphone jack for use with headsets.
It has a 5GHz wifi antenna that allows me to use my 5GHz network for MUCH better HD video streaming.
I can stream full HD with DTS support through a codec on MX Player from my computer without any buffering. This was not possible with only 2.4GHz wifi!
It also now supports Miracast, but I tried it with a Panasonic Blu Ray player and it sucked.
It's got twice the RAM, twice the flash mem (the orig was 16Gig for $249)

This new N7 is twice as good as the old N7 in every way.
They fixed all the flaws I could think of on the fist one.
The only things I would want HW wise is an SD card slot, a dedicated HDMI port and louder front facing speakers.
With SW I think a system app of a file manager and network server/renderer program like 'bubble UPnP'.
Then it would be perfect, but it's pretty darn perfect right now for $270!

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Flashing the 4.3 system image (instead of just the update file or OTA) would probably have taken care of that for ya. Mine feels like a new device since doing that.

That bring said, I ordered a 32gb version of the new one anyway for the faster processor and better screen. The camera may be nothing special but at least it has one now. I don't take pics with a tablet generally but its nice to be able to use it as a barcode scanner or for other purposes.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Oh I know, but the sluggish feeling could have also been the fact Ive been using a Droid DNA and then with the new nexus in my hands, it really makes the old one seem slow. I havent felt an urge to go and give it a clean slate. Now that I have this new one I will probably factory reset it and wipe it clean. Regardless of all that, the new one still outperforms the old one in literally every way possible. If you want the best 7" tablet, this is it by far.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have both the orig N7 and the N7 FHD (2013) and I'll have to say the new one is worth every penny.
I looked at the old one after using the new one for a couple of weeks and I could see the pixels and everything looked blurry.
The screen is waay better! It's brighter, more responsive and less 'creaky' if you know what I mean.
The body is more solid, thinner and lighter.
The new speakers are very good and never distort. Surround sound is good, but they still could be louder.
The rear camera is full HD and opens up the use of many apps that need a rear cam like 'Smart Tools'.
The front cam, rear cam and light sensor is offset from center so you can hold it in landscape and still use them.
The camera app is a system app with cool photosphere feature.
It supports HDMI out, but with an expensive adapter.
It supports mic inputs through the headphone jack for use with headsets.
It has a 5GHz wifi antenna that allows me to use my 5GHz network for MUCH better HD video streaming.
I can stream full HD with DTS support through a codec on MX Player from my computer without any buffering. This was not possible with only 2.4GHz wifi!
It also now supports Miracast, but I tried it with a Panasonic Blu Ray player and it sucked.
It's got twice the RAM, twice the flash mem (the orig was 16Gig for $249)

This new N7 is twice as good as the old N7 in every way.
They fixed all the flaws I could think of on the fist one.
The only things I would want HW wise is an SD card slot, a dedicated HDMI port and louder front facing speakers.
With SW I think a system app of a file manager and network server/renderer program like 'bubble UPnP'.
Then it would be perfect, but it's pretty darn perfect right now for $270!

The only complaint, which isnt really a complaint would be the front facing speakers. I like these new speakers for sure, and they sound good enough. But a nice set of front facing speakers really would have been awesome. Much like my DNA phone, it is front facing speakers away from being perfect. SD slot isnt my thing as I dont store more than 8-10 gig on my tablets as is so I can easily live without those now.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the factory image on my OG N7 and it was only a marginal improvement. 4.2.1 was such a disaster for me, I finally got fed up and went back to 4.1.2 in order to have the device I paid for back. About a week later, 4.2.2 came out, so I whacked my tablet again and upgrade and it eventually degenerated into a paperweight. It would literally take 10-15 seconds just to have the screen come on and unlock; it'd freeze constantly. I had 3GB free space, but that was too little for that sad tablet, but after cleaning out apps and downloads; running Lagfix (to enable TRIM) and zeroing out free space, it was merely a little better, still nowhere near what it was. The last straw was loading the 4.3 factory image and still having it stutter and lag. It WAS such a slick piece of kit; people would look at it and remark how fast it was. Now it's a joke, something I'd be ashamed to show people because it performs like something you'd buy at a drugstore next to the Coby DVD players.

OTOH, the new N7 awesome. Beautiful screen and blazing speed. Then I remember that the old N7 was terrific at first, but after 6-7 months, it was already slowing down. I can't afford to spend any money on something so short-lived. If this N7 fails out as well, I'll never buy another ASUS-made Nexus product. And before anyone tries to excuse limited lifespan with, "What do you expect for that price?" the answers is something that doesn't die in less than a year.

Last edited:

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the factory image on my OG N7 and it was only a marginal improvement. 4.2.1 was such a disaster for me, I finally got fed up and went back to 4.1.2 in order to have the device I paid for back. About a week later, 4.2.2 came out, so I whacked my tablet again and upgrade and it eventually degenerated into a paperweight. It would literally take 10-15 seconds just to have the screen come on and unlock; it'd freeze constantly. I had 3GB free space, but that was too little for that sad tablet, but after cleaning out apps and downloads; running Lagfix (to enable TRIM) and zeroing out free space, it was merely a little better, still nowhere near what it was. The last straw was loading the 4.3 factory image and still having it stutter and lag. It WAS such a slick piece of kit; people would look at it and remark how fast it was. Now it's a joke, something I'd be ashamed to show people because it performs like something you'd buy at a drugstore next to the Coby DVD players.

OTOH, the new N7 awesome. Beautiful screen and blazing screen. Then I remember that the old N7 was terrific at first, but after 6-7 months, it was already slowing down. I can't afford to spend any money on something so short-lived. If this N7 fails out as well, I'll never buy another ASUS-made Nexus product. And before anyone tries to excuse limited lifespan with, "What do you expect for that price?" the answers is something that doesn't die in less than a year.

Im not concerned with this one honestly. The amount of ram will help this one last much longer compared to old one. Ive been running the same cpu etc. in my Droid DNA and its still as fast as the day it came out. And thats running 4.1 with sense. So the cpu isnt a worry for me this time around.

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The only complaint, which isnt really a complaint would be the front facing speakers. I like these new speakers for sure, and they sound good enough. But a nice set of front facing speakers really would have been awesome. Much like my DNA phone, it is front facing speakers away from being perfect. SD slot isnt my thing as I dont store more than 8-10 gig on my tablets as is so I can easily live without those now.

The biggest problem with storage was that HD movies are very large and have too high a bit rate (not to mention DTS sound not supported) to stream without buffering, so local storage or a cabled connection were the only good ways of viewing, but the old N7 couldn't do any of that.

Now that I have 5GHz WiFi, full bit rate HD movies with DTS can be streamed from my computer, so I don't need massive storage or a cable connection. I also don't need to convert my m2ts blu ray rips to mp4.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem with storage was that HD movies are very large and have too high a bit rate (not to mention DTS sound not supported) to stream without buffering, so local storage or a cabled connection were the only good ways of viewing, but the old N7 couldn't do any of that.

Now that I have 5GHz WiFi, full bit rate HD movies with DTS can be streamed from my computer, so I don't need massive storage or a cable connection. I also don't need to convert my m2ts blu ray rips to mp4.

I go old school still, if i want to watch a movie, its dvd rip at best, I dont care enough about quality unless i know the movie is good. at that point, ill buy it on bluray

tflash

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I go old school still, if i want to watch a movie, its dvd rip at best, I dont care enough about quality unless i know the movie is good. at that point, ill buy it on bluray
yeah, most of my movies are .mpg files. Only the good ones I have in BD and most are duplicates of SD versions. Streaming SD .mpgs is no problem, but try it with the 1080p movie 'Dune' at a max bit rate of 48Mbps and you've got problems. I tried it with several high bit rate movies on 2.4GHz WiFi and 5GHz WiFi and every time the 5GHz played perfectly one room away from the router even though it didn't even measure a full signal on the little network graphic. The 2.4GHz always stuttered and buffered. Maybe it's my router. I love the 5GHz antenna on this thing.