Is the lack of a decent screen protector a valid reason to pass up on the S10+

cpmal1997

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Been an Apple patron all my life, but was about to purchase the S10+ due to the multitude of good reviews about it. However, went into a Samsung shop the other day to ask what screen protector and/or case they would recommend and, to my amazement, he told me not to put a screen protector on it (even saying the Samsung provided one is rubbish!).

Was a bit unsure so googled it and have seen loads of people complaining about how easily their screen scratched in menial everyday tasks, let alone dropping it etc. Wondered if this is enough of a reason to skip on the phone, no matter how good it is!

Any advice and past experience would be appreciated :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The S10 does use a pre-installed screen protector which is film type, hold up for awhile , but I use Whitestone dome glass screen protector for better protection.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
1 never talk to that rep again
2 I still have the factory screen protector on since launch. It's got some minor scratches but nothing worth taking it off for
3 Whitestone Dome has mixed reviews, but would be the one I recommend
4 Get a good case that offers some raised protection around the screen

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Been an Apple patron all my life, but was about to purchase the S10+ due to the multitude of good reviews about it. However, went into a Samsung shop the other day to ask what screen protector and/or case they would recommend and, to my amazement, he told me not to put a screen protector on it (even saying the Samsung provided one is rubbish!).

Was a bit unsure so googled it and have seen loads of people complaining about how easily their screen scratched in menial everyday tasks, let alone dropping it etc. Wondered if this is enough of a reason to skip on the phone, no matter how good it is!

Any advice and past experience would be appreciated :)
Was it the screen getting scratched or the screen protector? Most devices are using the same Gorilla glass so the glass itself is rarely an advantage from one device to another.

The best screen protector hands down is the Whitestone Dome. It's expensive but so is your device. Keep in mind though, a screen protector won't always prevent your screen from cracking. They mostly protect against scratches. Many are under the impression that if the screen protector cracked and the screen didn't, then the protector saved the device. Not always the case.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Screen protectors protect the screen from getting scratched and worn (the protector takes the abuse and can be replaced). It doesn't protect the screen against breakage. Not on an Android, not on an iPhone.

As 11B1P said in #4, get a TPU case with a raised edge. If you want about the ultimate in protection, the Otterbox Defender is $60 (you can save a few dollars by buying it on Amazon). I've had phones that should have turned to electronic waste in Defender cases - and not a scratch.

As far as a screen protector goes, once the phone and the screen are protected from breakage, any case that has adhesive over the entire surface is good (which is why the Whitestone is the best one - the adhesive comes as a liquid). The ZeroDamage protector (at Amazon) is about half the price and about the same thing - 9H glass and liquid adhesive (and a little kit to install it evenly).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Never used a screen protector on both my S7E and my S9 and they're both fine. Of course it depends on your own environment (I won't do this if I was near a beach or worked in construction).

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
First thing I did was pull the plastic protector off. I do have a slim case on it so when I place it face down the screen does not make surface contact.

Thomasrope

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I haven't used a screen protector in 10 years. I usually upgrade every year and my screens are always scratch free at the end of the year. I do work in construction and carry the phone in my back pocket.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
First thing I did was pull the plastic protector off. I do have a slim case on it so when I place it face down the screen does not make surface contact.

That's ok if you never put your phone in your pocket, but that is not practical in day to day use. The factory installed film isn't noticeable.

BaritoneGuy

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
That's ok if you never put your phone in your pocket, but that is not practical in day to day use. The factory installed film isn't noticeable.

My phone spends most of its day in the back pocket of my jeans or some other pocket if I am wearing a jacket.

My S8 barely had a mark on it after 2+ years.

Personally, I found the factory film to be very noticeable which is why is was gone pretty much immediately.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
My phone spends most of its day in the back pocket of my jeans or some other pocket if I am wearing a jacket.

My S8 barely had a mark on it after 2+ years.

Personally, I found the factory film to be very noticeable which is why is was gone pretty much immediately.

I pretty much had this same experience with my S9+, which I rocked naked for a year, and my S10+. That film thing is stupid.

That being said, I did install the Zagg protector on my 10+. Fits great, works great.

joe1blue

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I got this screen protector and it works just as well as the white stone dome and its half the cost, the only this is it will take almost 3 weeks to arrive whenever you order it loll, so if you don't mind there wait then here you go.

US $16.19 21%OFF | 2pcs Screen Protector For Samsung S9 Plus Note8 Note 9 S10e Plus Note 10 Pro Tempered Glass Liquid Full Glue UV HW mate 30 pro
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/Fbb9sQCY

cpmal1997

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
I pretty much had this same experience with my S9+, which I rocked naked for a year, and my S10+. That film thing is stupid.

That being said, I did install the Zagg protector on my 10+. Fits great, works great.

Does the Zagg work with the fingerprint sensor or do use different security features??

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I see you are a new user here - welcome to Android Central!

I would not pass up on the S10+ just yet. Very often, users of products/phones/etc will be more likely to post about negative reviews of products than they are to post about praise reports. Websites, forums like this one, and other avenues like AC are catered to those looking for help with their products, so users may be more likely to drop in asking for help/complaining about screen protectors/screens scratching than they are to post praise reports.

You will likely get a skewed sample size - don't let that dissuade you! If anything, Samsung has a very large production base - many companies/manufacturers will make and cater to Samsung users with cases, screen protectors, etc. You don't have to buy through Samsung - Amazon will have a plethora of products for you to choose from!

Again, try not to let those things bother you too much! The Samsung Galaxy S10+ forums here are buzzing and are always quite active - drop by there and check out the "Accessories" sub-forums to see what screen protectors users are getting. Plus, I'm pretty sure the S10/10+ have Gorilla Glass 6 on their screens and that is supposedly a very durable screen. Try not to worry!

Also, I do not understand why that sales rep told you to not get a screen protector. To be honest, I don't take a lot of stock in what sales reps say. I'm not saying you should never listen to them - but I've found over the years that they don't always know their stuff. I recommend buying a tempered glass screen protector for your S10+ if you do decide to get one! Protecting your investment is essential!

The Samsung-provided "screen protector" is just a plastic film used to prevent dust and such - I do not call that a screen protector - it's more of a temporary fix until you get an actual screen protector.

Keep us posted on what you decide!

Gix1k

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I still have the stock film on mine. Had since s10 preorder. It has scratches on it, but no reason to replace it yet. Very durable.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

Which Zagg do you have on your phone? I still have the one that came on the phone and it's all scratched up. I usually go to this Kiosk at the mall and let them put on the Zagg but I wasn't sure if it would still work with the FPS. And do you have to re-register when you put a new protector on?