I've got a Pixel C, you've got questions. Fire away!

anon(9023697)

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
From a Windows guy,

I'm interested how you think this device performs against a Surface 3 (Non Pro). The reason being is I'm looking at getting a descent tablet device for travelling.

I do a lot of photography when I'm away and I'm just wondering if you can give feed back on how you think one performs over the other.

In terms of use while I am away it would be Email, Facebook, Messenger, Messaging, Flickr, One Drive, Groove Music, TripIt, Flight Aware, HERE maps (For true off line performance). One good thing about Microsoft is that they make it easy to move between platforms with having their apps available across multiple platforms.

I like the idea of being able to run Lightroom to edit my RAW files from my Canon 6D. EOS Utility can be used instead of the EOS remote app for transferring files wirelessly.

That being said, I liked the simplicity I got when I used my wife's Samsung tablet last time we travelled, and found plenty of photo apps that did a good job of editing my photos on the fly.

Anyway, would really like to get your feedback as to which one you would go with and why.

PS From a price point of view do you think the Pixel C will also make people have 2nd thoughts on buying an iPad Pro. I can't think of too many compelling reasons why you wouldn't get a Pixel C or a Surface device over an iPad Pro. To me you would have to be deeply imbedded in the Apple eco-system to even consider the iPad Pro.

Cheers Adam

lsquare

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Phil Nickinson,

Can you tell me if Google My Tracks is part of the pre-installed app on this tablet? If so, is it identical to the Google My Tracks found on Android phones?

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What is weird is that my upload speeds are fine. I tried it without the dock and I still get the slow speeds. Bluetooth off and still the same. I think I will try to take it to a public wifi spot and see if I can get good speeds there. My router is not a piece of junk either and all my other devices are fine including the Nexus 6P. Here is my router:

ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router

If the masses are not having this issue I may have to do an RMA but so far there have been a couple (including people on the Google nexus support forum) having the same issue. forum located here:

https://productforums.google.com/fo...ce=footer#!msg/nexus/CM9tv3pjTfQ/QY0xGoTMAgAJ

I am "atgosu" there.

It is really a shame because I love this device and it is perfect except for this wifi thing :/

Another note: I am getting the same dBm readings on my Nexus 6P and the Pixel C so it seems to be getting the same signal strength (around -67 dBm where I do my testing).

I sent a formal feedback report via "Settings>>Help and Feedback" as the developers will be able to see it and hopefully give some insight.

Is this a 5G router or 2.4? My router is set 5G. Could that be the problem?

kgeissler

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey Phil,

I appreciate all your help with the Pixel C!

I think we may have a somewhat larger problem on our hands with this beautiful device. Can you test the wifi download and upload speeds with your Pixel C? I am getting pretty bad download speeds whereas my upload speed is fine. I'm thinking it is an optimization issue instead of a hardware issue. I believe this because if it was a hardware issue (ie metal back, antenna...) both upload and download would be bad. For me only the download is bad.

I have tested this with a desktop, Nexus 6P, and a Note tablet. I have tested with wireless N and AC. The Pixel C is always much slower with download speed in comparison. Again my upload speed is fine.

Thanks for any insight or help with sheding some light on this if needed. I really appreciate it.

I tested my Pixel C and my Nexus 6P. Both had identical download speeds.

EDIT: I moved to another room in my house on the 1st floor away from my router. My Pixel pulled about 10 up and 10 down, while my 6p was able to pull about 25 up and 25 down.

Last edited:

atg284

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Is this a 5G router or 2.4? My router is set 5G. Could that be the problem?

I have tried both 5G and 2.4. Both have the same slow speeds right next to devices getting proper speeds. Also 3 public wifi spots had the same outcome so it is not my network configuration. Considering a replacement but not sure what to do yet. :/

Edit: I contacted Google Support and they are sending me a replacement but I'm not so sure if that will fix the problem. :-\ I just couldn't take the sometimes 2-3 mbps (at best 10mbps) download speed when my N6P was pulling 28mbps sitting right next to it.

Last edited:

upgradingmyworktech

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Could you try using it with some other bluetooth (LE low energy) keyboards and let us know if they work? If you have one/some around... What doesn't work with other keyboards? Which keyboards did you try?

Downwind

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I've used it with a Microsoft Wedge keyboard and a cheap Jelly Comb unit. Both worked fine. Does anybody know the keyboard equivalent of the search key so I can use the shortcuts? I like to use a tablet in portrait mode and it's kind of a bummer that the Pixel keyboard won't work that way. I may have to carry two keyboards around, which seems kinda stupid.

littlenoodles

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I like the idea of soft buttons - and I like them on my phone. But on a tablet in landscape mode, they simply take up too much screen space - especially on 16x9 tablets. I've finally migrated my desktop (linux and windows) systems to use a left-side taskbar. There needs to be a new paradigm for notification and navigation UI's for landscape-oriented mobile devices.

crazyone

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I think Google got it right with honeycomb and ICS: soft buttons in the left and notifications bottom-right. In the new productivity-oriented tablets the preferred orientation is landscape. Google: ONLY ONE BAR IN TABLETS, PLEASE... (and split screen).

dlpolitis

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a Nexus 9 (LTE version) and just got a Pixel C. The build quality of the Pixel C is far superior to the Nexus 9, as is the performance. I was greatly disappointed in the Nexus 9. The device would occasionally just hang for about 5 - 10 seconds. I had issues with the device that involved calling HTC support and their support was horrible (I received a replacement device after applying 5.0.2 Lollipop upgrade bricked the device. When the new device's LTE didn't get recognized, the support person said I could just use WiFi. I didn't pay extra for LTE to just use WiFi). The Nexus 9 had its positives, but it was the worst Nexus device I have ever owned (and I've owned them all).

I have four issues with the Pixel C - no NFC, no GPS, no LTE, and no fingerprint reader. For the price, the NFC and GPS should have been included. The other two would have been nice.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So i have managed to get my Motorola Keyboard to work with my Pixel. Kind of amazing considering the keyboard is pretty old now.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I like the Pixel C but can not justify the price. What? No SD card expandability?
I'll hang on to my Nexus 7 (2013) for now.

It's the same price as the iPad Air 2 for each of the sizes offered, and its got arguably better specs overall with a definitely better screen. Not seeing the issue.

John Wiskowski

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I replaced my Surface 3 with a Pixel C and am much happier. Previously, I had a MacBook 12-inch. IMO, the Pixel C looks and feels better than the MacBook and Surface. Before that I had an LG G Pad X 10.1 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0. This Pixel seems to offer the best blend of gaming, and content consumption in the hands and productivity in the Folio Keyboard Cover. Video out and LTE are the only options I would have like to see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjeans