Just noticed a New PRL on my Phone

jim302

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-thunderbolt/78184-just-noticed-new-prl-my-phone-8.html

just found this older thread. Does that mean the 13xxx are more upgraded than the 15xxx???

No. 13xxx PRLs are Hybrid PRLs which mean nothing unless you are in an area where Verizon purchased an existing carrier (in most cases, Alltel). Even then, they only matter if both VZW and the acquired carrier both offered service in the same area.

If you don't live in or travel to one of those areas, the hybrid PRL doesn't matter. If you do, sometimes it will offer better coverage (or sometimes worse coverage). It is a temporary thing until networks are integrated, which takes a while.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Not too sure about that theory. I have the updated PRL and I have not left Alltel towers. The nearest true Verizon area is two hours north of here.

I was roaming using Alltel towers when I moved from Shreveport, La to Montgomery, La. When it switched over, I finally got 3G. To be honest, the 3G stops about 3 blocks up the road, and I use a zBoost to use my phone in my house.

I do have a Verizon contract though, I am sure that is the difference.

But that completely flies in the face of alcoholics02 situation of having a Verizon contract and the 14 pre-fixed PRL. Now the only variable is the extender. If you need an extender you may need to get on a Verizon plan to get the Verizon PRLs, but that wouldn't explain RestlessDroid's other family members that have Verizon PRLs.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
No. 13xxx PRLs are Hybrid PRLs which mean nothing unless you are in an area where Verizon purchased an existing carrier (in most cases, Alltel). Even then, they only matter if both VZW and the acquired carrier both offered service in the same area.

If you don't live in or travel to one of those areas, the hybrid PRL doesn't matter. If you do, sometimes it will offer better coverage (or sometimes worse coverage). It is a temporary thing until networks are integrated, which takes a while.

Hybrid is for Alltel and Verizon towers

psycho_maniac

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
im pretty sure us alltel customers will always get 14xxxx prl's didnt you ever check your prl on your older phones? we always got different prls. only way to update to the 15xxx series is get a vzw contract.

The only thing is I am on a Verizon Contract and have been for two years????[/QUOTE]

Was your area previously under Alltel? If so, I think it has more to do with the towers than the plans/contract.

That would explain the 13, 14, and 15. 15 is original Verizon towers, 14 is Alltel only towers, and 13 is the hybrid of the two companies' towers.

i think you have it right there.

all i know is this, on my old tp2 (winmo) the alltel prl blocked palringo, i had to manually import a vzw prl to get palringo to work. the service was the same. on my android phoens, the app works just fine on these 14xxx prls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere