LG G3 Wireless Qi charging

BeerDad

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
Many thanks. Now I understand! I appreciate it.

Weird that Verizon sells the chargers, but not the back that works with it. Hmm.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It's hit or miss, and somewhat dependent on the charger, too. Most of the Qi specs I've looked at say the maximum distance between the charger and coil is 5mm or so. If it's a thin case, probably yes.

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the vertical LG charger. I have the stick on to work with my standard back and a Incipio feather case. Mine charges with the LG charger and a cheaper charger I bought for my G2.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My Sister has a Verizon variant, is that compatible with Qi if I swap the cover out for LG G3 White Replacement NFC Qi Wireless Charging Rear Housing Battery Cover | eBay, or would http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Char...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4056179 be a better option, take the NFC sticker out and replace it with that one? Also, what's a good Qi charger for the G3 that's under $35, e.g. easy to use, charges at a decent rate, doesn't have problems, and would preferably work with http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4056179.

DSC05186.jpg

sralj

Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
My Sister has a Verizon variant, is that compatible with Qi if I swap the cover out for LG G3 White Replacement NFC Qi Wireless Charging Rear Housing Battery Cover | eBay, or would Amazon.com: LG G3 QI Wireless Charging + NFC Antenna Sticker for Verizon VS985, T-mobile D851, Sprint LS990: Everything Else be a better option, take the NFC sticker out and replace it with that one? Also, what's a good Qi charger for the G3 that's under $35, e.g. easy to use, charges at a decent rate, doesn't have problems, and would preferably work with http://www.amazon.com/Incipio-DualP...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4056538.

View attachment 148292

I have the same phone and I put the qi/nfc sticker from amazon in it, and it works great. I use the Tylt Vu charger, it's a little on the high side price wise, but I have used it on 3 phones and had no overheating or not charging issues. They may put the charger on sale for the holidays, they did last year.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a sticker I got off ebay. Works fine, and a lot cheaper than a new back. Scraping the old sticker out of the back was the hardest part of the install.

As for chargers, I have two of these Powerbot pucks, and they work great. I tried some other cheap chargers that didn't work at all, but these have been fine: There are rubberized rings on the top and bottom that keep the phone and puck from sliding around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4056930

I borrowed one of these at work, before I bought my second Powerbot, and it seems to work fine, too. More expensive, but it includes the AC charger. But because the back of the G3 is curved, and this if flat and smooth, the phone tends to rotate if you try to operate it while it's sitting on the charger.

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger, TechMatte Qi-Enabled Charging Pad for Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy S5 and HTC 8X, HTC Droid DNA, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2 (Free AC Adapter Included): Cell Phones & Accessories

For best performance, plug them into a charger that is at least 1.5 amps. 1.8 or 2 amps is even better.

Kaiser Droid

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a sticker I got off ebay. Works fine, and a lot cheaper than a new back. Scraping the old sticker out of the back was the hardest part of the install.

As for chargers, I have two of these Powerbot pucks, and they work great. I tried some other cheap chargers that didn't work at all, but these have been fine: There are rubberized rings on the top and bottom that keep the phone and puck from sliding around.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4056969

I borrowed one of these at work, before I bought my second Powerbot, and it seems to work fine, too. More expensive, but it includes the AC charger. But because the back of the G3 is curved, and this if flat and smooth, the phone tends to rotate if you try to operate it while it's sitting on the charger.

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger, TechMatte Qi-Enabled Charging Pad for Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy S5 and HTC 8X, HTC Droid DNA, Nokia Lumia 920, LG Optimus Vu2 (Free AC Adapter Included): Cell Phones & Accessories

For best performance, plug them into a charger that is at least 1.5 amps. 1.8 or 2 amps is even better.
Okay.
Thanks a bunch, that Powerbot looks like a good deal - probably have my Dad get one for his Turbo too once he gets it.

So, the 5V, 1.8A LG cable would probably work well with the Powerbot?

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the Powerbot that I use at work. It charges fine but the beeps drive me crazy. I don't mind the beep that tells me it is on correct or the beep that sounds when it is fully charged. But it keeps beeping about every ten minutes. My theory is that when it finishes charging it goes into a cycle of no charging until it detects the phone is no longer fully charged. It then beeps to say is it is charging and then beeps when finished and keeps up that cycle. I usually take if off the charger when it if charged to keep from hearing the beeping.

I also own the LG charger that charges in portrait mode. I use this at home. It has no lights or beeps but the phone tells me when it is charged.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I haven't read through every post on this thread I just ordered a G3 (thanks to some helpful experience from people in this forum) . I ended up ordering the 855 version "Europe factory unlocked" and I already have the old Nexus 4 qi wireless charger from the play store. It sounds like some carriers are crippling the wireless charging feature from LG. I wonder if going with the Europe model will give me half a chance of them playing nice together out of the box?

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Any idea why this Qi ebay sticker is saying that it WILL NOT work n a US model G3?

Which ebay sticker? Without a link to the exact product, all anyone can do is guess. But the Korean version of the phone has the charging contacts positioned differently than the U.S. version, so that could be the reason. Post a link and I'll be happy to take a look and see if that actually is the reason.

Sorry I haven't read through every post on this thread I just ordered a G3 (thanks to some helpful experience from people in this forum) . I ended up ordering the 855 version "Europe factory unlocked" and I already have the old Nexus 4 qi wireless charger from the play store. It sounds like some carriers are crippling the wireless charging feature from LG. I wonder if going with the Europe model will give me half a chance of them playing nice together out of the box?

The European version should come with a Qi coil built in, and should work fine with your Nexus charger.

My understanding is that Qi charging support has been disabled in the AT&T LG3, so even with the right antenna Qi Charging will not work.
-spg

The AT&T version is incompatible with Qi, but compatible with the PMA wireless charging standard, which include Powermat devices. But the charging coils are different, so you'd need to get a PMA compatible back or sticker, not the Qi version.

zagato27

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Contract with Sprint expires Jan 15. Went to Verizon to look at the G3 and the new Droid Turbo. Unfortunately they were out of stock on the Droid. Talked to the sales guy about the G3 and wireless charging and he said that he thought that LG was offering the "charging back" and a spare battery for the G3 when you sent in for the rebate. Anyone hear anything about this?

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I have a QI charger. Plugged it in, was informed by my LG "plug into mains for quicker charging" . I thought no see how long it takes. It started charging at 14% at 4pm, I went and looked at 6.30pm. Wow! 19%, ditched the QI charger. The phone was a 100% charged an hour later. The QI is in the back of a drawer, won't be used again.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I have a QI charger. Plugged it in, was informed by my LG "plug into mains for quicker charging" . I thought no see how long it takes. It started charging at 14% at 4pm, I went and looked at 6.30pm. Wow! 19%, ditched the QI charger. The phone was a 100% charged an hour later. The QI is in the back of a drawer, won't be used again.

Sounds like you hooked it up to the low amperage charger. With a 2 amp charger, mine charges to about 90% about as fast as a wired connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
youngdaddy3